• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

5 Favourite Books

OK. You're Mr. Nitpicky - but right! I do that all the time
Phil-T - Sax Rohmer wrote, like, 31 Fu Manchu books, didn't he?
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is really good. It's about a colony on the moon that Earth was going to cut off funding to or something such. It's the story where "tanstaafl" (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch) came from.

Yeah, Heinlein is fabulous. I also loved 'Stranger in a Strange Land'. but it's been years since I last read that!

Time for a reread, I reckon. (If only it weren't for all those new books screaming at me; "Read me .... read me!!")

Cheers, Martin :D

Have just been reading about "moon is a harsh mistress" on amazon.
Looks pretty good (good reviews as well).
So.....yet another book to add the ever increasing "Buy me" list !!

I'm not always a Heinlein fan, but I loved "Moon is a Harsh Mistress." Some of the same themes as the Ender's Game series, but nothing like it plot-wise.

Originally posted by alsomama
...Memoirs of a Geisha...

This one found its way into the Big Read Top 100 and features in many people's Amazon lists. Personally I found it extremely dull. Yes, I know I'm a bloke, so perhaps not the primary target audience, but plenty of my favourites are female oriented books. I just couldn't get on with this one.

My five favourites right now, in no particular order, and I'd perhaps say differently tomorrow:

Bleak House, Charles Dickens
War and Peace, Tolstoy
Mansfield Park, Jane Austen (well certainly one of her novels at any rate)
Take One Young Man, Vivien Kelly
The Remains of the Day, Kasuo Ishiguro (Whose "The Unconsoled" would probably be on my five least favourites list, but I digress!)

Originally posted by David181173
The Remains of the Day, Kasuo Ishiguro (Whose "The Unconsoled" would probably be on my five least favourites list, but I digress!)

Thank you - I thought it was just me (and my state of mind when reading The Unconsoled, which I hated)! How could the same man have produced both of these?

There's too many to claim any sort of Top 5 and whatever I write would never be definitive (not because I read a lot and find favourites more relevant on an ongoing basis) but because picking favourites is subjective. Typically mood dictates that.

Here then are a few recent reads that I've enjoyed:

• Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
  • The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
  • Millenium People by JG Ballard
  • Labyrinths by Jorges Luis Borges

And the one I didn't like despite the story being good (almost believable) up until the ending (which after 800 pages disappointed):

• The Crimson Petal & The White by Michael Faber

Originally posted by Trickster
The Rotters Club - Jonathon Coe
The House of Sleep - Jonathon Coe
i read house of sleep on honeymoon in florida, very good if i remember.
the rotters club is currently gathering dust on my shelf, must blow those cobwebs off!!

#1 It happened to Nancy (true story)
#2 Kiss the Girls by James Patterson
#3 Carrie by Stephen King
#4 1st to Die by James Patterson

my top five-at the moment-
The Alienist-Caleb Carr
The Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold
Mila 18-Leon Uris
Gone With The Wind-Margaret Mitchell
A Woman of Independent Means-Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey
.this is indeed hard-how about top 25? I notice many of you read fantasy and or/sci fi. I am totally unfamiliar with these genres except for having read a couple of Ray Bradbury's books and currently reading Orson Card-Ender's Game with my class. I've also seen all the Rings movies, so I am woefully ignorant on these topics.

A few of my favorites

Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
Robinson Crusoe
Treasure Island
The Eye of the World (1st Book in Robert Jordans Wheel of Time Series)
Oliver Twist
Journey to the Center of the Earth

Current Top 5...

Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
Faust - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Hunger - Knut Hamsun
Journey to the End of the Night - Celine
Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

So that makes six .. which one goes?

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Martin said:
Please dont talk about my sexual preferences.

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif
Martin, I hate to say this, but I think you've been spending too much time around RaVeN. You're beginning to sound like him. :eek:

I know! But I had to make that joke, or RaVeN would have turned this thread into a bloodbath - someone had to beat him to it. Believe me, he'd have made it much, much worse.

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Martin said:
I know! But I had to make that joke, or RaVeN would have turned this thread into a bloodbath - someone had to beat him to it. Believe me, he'd have made it much, much worse.

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif
Will you forgive me if I don't buy that excuse?

Back