• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advert

I just hate advertising that doesn't tell you anything about the product - computer games are notorious for this (they rarely show screenshots of the game) and now we have some trashy book. :mad:

OK, later I will draw up a short email stating that we hate that add and ill send it to the owners. Yes, I think it won't do any good but at least we tried right? All those who want to be mentioned please PM me or post here and I will include their names in the email.

Darren has mentioned that he will be out of pocket for a bit, so don't be discouraged if you don't get an immediate response.

Also, please keep in mind that a site like this is expensive to run and advertising like this provides some of those funds. Perhaps it can be better located though.

Just to be different, i kind of like the ad.

When i saw it I went, 'OOH, New Michael Crichton book' :)

Just shows you how much i havnt been around here i guess!

Phil

I'm sorry the new ad is causing problems. I didn't realise it was blocking the search box, so I've moved the ad to the bottom of the forum list, and replaced that spot with the standard Google Ads.

Ashlea is right. This forum is expensive to run. It costs nearly $2000 per year to keep this place running (server costs, server admin, software licenses etc), and that doesn't include any R&D costs trying to add new features. The mods give their time for free too!

Advertising is the only way we can fund this site. For three years I kept TBF running out of my own pocket, but it was something I could no longer do so we've resorted to advertising.

The donation drive generated about $200 but we need a regular source of income, and paid advertising is the only way we can do it. The store affiliate links generate little as not many people use them. The google ads generate about $10 per month in clicks and that's about it.

The TV/Film forum is there as an extension to General Chat. There was a long discussion about the new forums here. Look at the last post ;) . Why not discuss non-book topics with friends you've made here? If you want to discuss how a book was adapated to a film, then there's always the book forums.

Darren Lewis said:
I'm sorry the new ad is causing problems. I didn't realise it was blocking the search box, so I've moved the ad to the bottom of the forum list, and replaced that spot with the standard Google Ads.

Ashlea is right. This forum is expensive to run. It costs nearly $2000 per year to keep this place running (server costs, server admin, software licenses etc), and that doesn't include any R&D costs trying to add new features. The mods give their time for free too!

Advertising is the only way we can fund this site. For three years I kept TBF running out of my own pocket, but it was something I could no longer do so we've resorted to advertising.

The donation drive generated about $200 but we need a regular source of income, and paid advertising is the only way we can do it. The store affiliate links generate little as not many people use them. The google ads generate about $10 per month in clicks and that's about it.

The TV/Film forum is there as an extension to General Chat. There was a long discussion about the new forums here. Look at the last post ;) . Why not discuss non-book topics with friends you've made here? If you want to discuss how a book was adapated to a film, then there's always the book forums.

Well... if you put it that way :) You gotta do what you gotta do. I was thinking it was the new owners just trying to make some money for themselfs with the site. :eek:

Ummm, still don't agree with the film/TV forum though. I think it does shift focus away from books. Over the last week I would say 50 percent of the posts on the book forum have been about movies or TV subjects. A lot of people come here to talk about books are are not interested at all in those subjects. I think those people may get tired of the forum and not post here much OR new people will see all the talk about movies and TV and decide not to join.

I know the matter is resolved and the forum will stay... so am just sayin' :)

Sapper41 said:
I love netscapes pop-up blocker! its block 195 pop-ups for me in the last hour or so!
There shouldn't be any popup ads on this site. There never have been and never will be. Let me know if there are.

Darren, I feel kinda bad now!

I guess I just assumed it was the new owners trying to squeeze some extra cash from us all. I shouldn't assume. I know it's expensive to keep this site running and I don't want to sound unappreciative Just wanted to say a bit of a sorry and that I am appreciative of your hard work and the time/money spent on the site.

Darren Lewis said:
Thanks, Darren. :)

Back