• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Advice on Stephen Donaldson - Gap Series

Lyra

kickbox
My boyfriend has been recommended Stephen Donaldson's 'Gap' series but I am a bit dubious (the same person also recommended Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series which I have read lots of negative things about on this site) so I told him I would run it past the forum experts first. Has anyone read this? I must admit that I don't have much experience with this genre. I love Raymond Feist but that's about the extent of it.

It was the 'but that's just me' part. He's taken it to mean that you're the one that's crap. If I was you I'd punch him for that one.

Back on topic. I've not read the Gap series, but I've read other books of Donaldson's and I've not been overly impressed, though there are a lot of people who really enjoy his work. If your boyfriend has read them can't you pinch a copy of his? Then it won't matter if you hate it.

The negative comments about Wheel of Time are mostly to do with the series being dragged out well past it's sell by date. If he hasn't reaad the whole series then his recommendation may be heart felt and genuine. If he has read the whole series and is trying to get you addicted then he is clearly the antichrist.

i read the series and really enjoyed it. Much faster paced than The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant,

I know one scifi one fantasy, but both same author

thanks for all the comments. Litany, my b/f hasn't read them either - someone was recommending them to him (whether or not he is the antichrist remains to been seen :D )

check for any tattooed numbers, horns, a tail eerie glowing red eyes. Any of the above I would start to worry.

Edit: Of course you could always stab him with a spork! Suprised you forgot to mention the weapon of choice when fighting the devil Litany

Carlos said:
Edit: Of course you could always stab him with a spork! Suprised you forgot to mention the weapon of choice when fighting the devil Litany

:eek: I'm sorry, I just assumed sporks came as standard.

I liked it when I read it. It's very violent though. may not be to everyone's taste. read Peter F Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy instead

I think they're much better than Donaldson's Covenant Trilogy and well worth checking out. Of course that's just me... but then again, I'm always right ;)

Gap series - awesome :D

But ... not really the sort of SF that I would recommend to someone who wasn't already a keen fan of the genre.

I decided to leave this series for now. Did read Pandoras Star by Peter Hamilton though which was absolutely fantastic. I will definately check out the Night Dawn Trilogy.

hmm, this "Gap" doesn't sound too good, and besides, The Wheel of Time became dead by the third book, so if its by the same author... he needs someone to tell him to stop! :rolleyes:

Richard Rahl said:
hmm, this "Gap" doesn't sound too good, and besides, The Wheel of Time became dead by the third book, so if its by the same author... he needs someone to tell him to stop! :rolleyes:

They're by different authors.

ohhh! sorry about that! anyway, id still go with sime nice Eddings and Goodkind compared to what im hearing about this book.

Back