• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Agatha Christie

Big Agatha Christie fan here. :D

My Great-grandmother left me her complete paperback collection of AC books when she died, and I cherished every last one of them.

Hi all, Have any of you out there read any books written by Agatha Christie. I have read one of her books Murder On The Orient Express and it was one of the best books that i have ever read.

I've read three of her books, including Murder on the Orient Express, which was the only one I really enjoyed. I much prefer Dorothy L. Sayers, but I'll probably read a few more of Christie's books. Any suggestions?

Ten Little Indians is fabulous which doesn't have any of the detectives. I prefer the little Belgian guy to Miss Marple.

How can Miss Marple get on your nerves??! She's just a little old lady! The youth of today, honestly you want to start respecting your elders a bit.

:)

I ain't read any Agatha Christie since I was pretty young, I quite enjoyed them then, can't remember much about them except for nicking an idea out of one of them for some English write-a-story effort. Is plagiarism a hanging offence?

ABC Murders and Death on the Nile were my favourite. Who couldn't love Poirot? :p I just bought her autobiography a little while ago too. That should be quite interesting!

Ashlea said:
Ten Little Indians is fabulous which doesn't have any of the detectives
It truly is, even though it's more like a horror than a typical criminal book. The atmosphere is so terrifying and dark.

It's also interesting that
a psychopatic murderer kills his victims - it's a separate question if they can be called victims - in a particular order: from the "lightest" crime, to the most serious. I don't quite agree with this order: IMHO mrs. who fired her servant should die earlier
, because she didn't intend to end her life.

I also enjoy the language which Mrs. Christie used in her books: it's very readable.

When I was in primary school, we had a text in our English book considering Mrs. Christie. It was witten that when she found out that her husband had had an affair, she dissappeared mysteriously. She was found after few days, but claimed to have no recollection of what she had been doing while she had been missing, for the rest of her life. Is this incredible history true?

I also read that Agatha was expelled from some Criminal Writers Society for making a narrator of one of her books a killer. The members thought it was "inappropriate".

I also prefer Poirot to Holmes!- actually I think Poirot is one of my favorite characters from any book. Miss Marple is kind of lovable too.

i found this utter weird, i have made a lot of posts about agatha christie's books in the last months, and sometimes even searched the forums, but until today i hadnt notice this thread. :eek: :confused:
i must be spending too much time at the haunted corner :eek:

I love Agatha Christie too, but sometimes the solutions to her mysteries are a bit convoluted. There's usually a really long explanation for how the murder was committed, and sometimes the reasoning seems a bit unbelievable. Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

I started reading Agatha Christie when I was 12 and the Nancy Drew series was no longer challenging. I cant remember all the ones I read, but 'The Clocks' was my favorite, followed by 'Death on the Nile' & 'Ten Little Indians'.

I picked these up at a recent library sale. Has anyone read them? Are they as good as the others?
Postern of Fate
The Third Girl
Murder on the Links

Aiel said:
Agatha Christie is an amazing author; no doubt about it.
I have, admittedly, read few of her books but every reading of every book written by her makes me hunger for more of her works.

My favorite work of hers so far has to be Murder at the Vicarage with Murder at the Links coming a close second.

Murder of Roger Acroyd was sensational, due to reasons well known to everyone who has read it; but it failed to make a big impression on me. Well not as big as the aforementioned books did.
Murder at the Vicarage is my favourite, too, - it's the first one I read. I didn't like murder of roger acroyd particularly, but it was good. I think I disliked it because I'd just read Endless Night (which I'll be honest about and say I hated it) and as they are similar in the whodunit, I think I had begun to be suspisious of the culprit in roger acroyd - so the ending wasn't the surprise it might have otherwise been. And neither books sat comfortably with me, I guess because of the way you're misled.

I couldn't finish Ten Little Niggers - I don't think I got past the first few chapters. Is it really worth trying again?
I like Poirot much better than Miss Marple, and have had serveral arguments with my friend, who like them vice versa. Tommy and Tuppence are entertaining. I just read "by the pricking of my thumbs" but I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as "N or M?". I felt the ending fell flat. I'm curious - are there any books about them when they were younger?

Herenya said:
I couldn't finish Ten Little Niggers - I don't think I got past the first few chapters. Is it really worth trying again?
I would say yes- it was one of my favorites, but I think you can only get it as'Ten Little Indians' now.

I like Poirot stories best also. :)

I've only read one of her books but really loved it.
It was "Death Comes as the End"
I generally don't go for mysteries, I forget what made me pick up this book to begin with. I know I got it at the library once and then had to go buy it.

As for HP having the title PS and SS <---makes it more codish doesn't it? ;)
I really don't know..except they thought the US wouldn't understand what a Philospher's stone was.

When I was very young I watched a very intriguing murder mystery that introduced me to the word cyanide. Since then I found out that it was based on AC's Sparkling Cyanide.

I remember watching it with my mom and she went 'Oooh! That's how!' How can a young mind not be captivated? :D

I've one of her books packed up somewhere.

ds

lorrekarloff said:
I would say yes- it was one of my favorites, but I think you can only get it as'Ten Little Indians' now.

I like Poirot stories best also. :)
I have the copy we found in the coat cupboard behind the iron that had belonged to some relative, and it's Ten Little Niggers. I must unearth it again, then.
The copy at the library is "And then there were none." So much more politically correct... :p

Back