• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amazon Kindle - Who has it? Who wants it?

Will you be ordering the Amazon Kindle?

• No, I already own it.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, I will be ordering it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I want the second generation.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, but waiting for the price to come down.

• What is a Kindle?

• I hate Polls

• No, they are a joke.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wonder if the Kindle has an option for larger print?

Given that it can read mobipocket files, where the print can be changed pretty much to any size and font the reader wants, I'm guessing the answer is yes.

It's still fugly, though. Looks like a 7-year-old kid built it from his legos. Not to mention that it still seems to have mostly the same problems as the old one.

Stewart said:
I guess the original Kindle is no longer available - Amazon states... "If you have previously placed an order for Kindle 1, and have not yet received it, your order will automatically be upgraded to Kindle 2. You need to do nothing."

It's still fugly, though. Looks like a 7-year-old kid built it from his legos. Not to mention that it still seems to have mostly the same problems as the old one.

I don't care what it looks like, it is designed so the device "disappears" once you begin reading, and it does a great job at that. As for having the same problems as the old one, I didn't have any problems with the old one (except the MP3 player which I don't use). And that is what disappoints me about this new version. They made a bunch of useless changes.

Don't get me wrong, if something happens to my Kindle 1.0 I will be buying the 2.0 in a heart beat, but I am not going to be willingly changing mine in anytime soon.

Of course, I was skeptical about the first one until I actually got my hands on it and began using it. It might be the same case with version 2.0 as well.

I won't say we'll never buy a kindle; I can see where it might be a good move sometime down the road, when larger print is more necessary. For now though, the price alone is prohibitive. When the price comes down to say, that of a Walmart microwave, then we'll see. Meanwhile, we'll stick with paper books and sling our bifocals aside and cope somehow.

Not sure where to put this....

The Kindle.... anyone have one?

Personally I wouldn't want one. I love curling up in the recliner or stretching out in the lounge chair and turning pages. Getting away from the world.

I have the first Kindle and now I have the "Kindle" on the iPhone....I prefer the regular Kindle, but in a pinch if I've left my Kindle at home and realize that I have a moment to read something, I'll just break out my iPhone and read for a few minutes. the iPhone and Kindle sync with one another....so as I go through pages on the iPhone, it will update on my Kindle when I get back to it.

Who wants it?

Apparently those who switched to Kindle 2. And what they want is the old one back.

Thanks beer good. I have been inching toward trading in my K1 for the K2 but that article, along with the discussion it linked to has convinced me to hold off until they work this bug out.

To those who didn't read the link, it is basically saying that the improved grey scale of the K2 that allows it to render pictures far better than the K1 actually makes for text that is more difficult to read for many people. The font appears lighter on the K2 than the K1 when reading it on the smaller fonts.

My husband is buggin' me for whatever reason to get a kindle 2.
I'd never seen one and wasn't really interested.
So today we went to a Rahmen restaurant and the nice men next to me took out a kindle 2 and showed it to me. I actually liked it until I read all of the 200+ one star reviews which ranged from display problems, customer caused droppings to the floor, to battery issues and bla.

Most people had issues with the display just giving up on them. After contacting amazon customer service they got a replacement item. Unfortunately a lot of people still had display issues, getting a new kindle from Amazon again and again. Bad for those who developed display issues after 30 days. Amazon doesn't offer a new kindle replacement after 30 days. They sent out a refurbished item. If you don't want that you have to send everything back to get your money.

Secondly Amazon admitted there is no replacement battery for the kindle 2 which the customer can buy to replace a poor battery. So basically if the battery dies on you after the one year warranty has expired you can throw it away or buy a new one.

The other thing is when the item drops. Amazon offers a video of the kindle to watch. You see it dropping to the floor and function like nothing happens. Just like the i-phone except that there were enough issues reviewers mentioned where it dropped about 2 inches or from the couch down to the carpet. The display died and there is no replacement by Amazon because dropping is not included in their warranty. I know I've got my i-phone since it was released and dropped it more then once without any damage. Imagine you're reading and the kindle slips from the couch to the floor. Happened to me with the normal paperback often enough. In the end you are screwed. Of course you are able to buy a 2 year warranty form a third party that includes coverage for a one time dropping. Unfortunately this 2 year thing adds only one year to the Amazon coverage and is priced for about $65. Of course oe has to decide if it's worth it.

Something else that does bother me is that you don't have the option to backlight it when it is darker. You've got to buy a book light. There were enough reviews that told me about having problems with readability if the light around you isn't bright enough. So for example the light you've got next to your bed might not be enough to light what you're reading especially because the kindle 2 background is not white but gray.

Just some brainstorming from my side but it seems to wait for the next generation would be a better decision besides, the kindle 2 does not have a device that produces the smell you get when opening a book. :)

I don't want a Kindle. It holds no attraction for me, I like books that I can hold, and have feeling and vibes to them. A piece of machinery won't do that for me. Also there is the gimmick factor, the constant "updating", making the one you already own obsolete. And boy, Amazon is cranking them out fast!

And think of the insulation factor of bookshelves! :cool:
Save on your heating/air-conditioning bill! Buy books!

In case you were looking for another reason not to get a Kindle, I saw this article on Slashdot.

Remote Kill Flags Surface In Kindle

The Kindle has a number of 'remote kill' flags built in to the hardware that, among other things, allow the text-to-speech function to be disabled at any time on a book-by-book basis. 'Beginning yesterday, Random House Publishers began to disable text-to-speech remotely. The TTS function has apparently been remotely disabled in over 40 works so far.' But what no one at Amazon will discuss is what other flags are lurking in the Kindle format: is there a 'read only once' flag? A 'no turning the pages backwards' flag

Well, the text to speech thing is just stupid anyway. I f I am going to go that route I will download an actual audio book. As for those other flags? I haven't ran into any of them I can't imagine any serious publisher would use them. Maybe for a free promotional or something?

Back