• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Amazon Kindle - Who has it? Who wants it?

Will you be ordering the Amazon Kindle?

• No, I already own it.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes, I will be ordering it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I want the second generation.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, but waiting for the price to come down.

• What is a Kindle?

• I hate Polls

• No, they are a joke.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kella

*Edit* I think I just messed up the poll question. :whistling: The official question is "Will you be ordering the Amazon Kindle?"

Just out of curiosity, how many members here have the Amazon Kindle? Who plans on buying it soon? I just ordered one for my sister. :innocent:
There are also rumors that the new version is coming out VERY soon with improvements and perhaps in a smaller size. There is a Amazon Press Conference on February 9th or something.

82(2).gif

Just out of curiosity, how many members here have the Amazon Kindle? Who plans on buying it soon? I just ordered one for my sister.

Oh right, perhaps I should vote. :)

I have one and love it, but I also still buy dead tree books when Kindle-ized versions are not available. I've had mine since Feb 2008. I'm considered an early adopter

I hope you guys living in the civilized world will continue to do so because downloading books is sometime the only way to get good and different stuff.
I'd love a kindle,as well as all gizmo less blinding than a computer screen.

I purchased my Kindle this past summer when the price was $400. Having had it now for around 8 months I would have paid three times that price if necessary. It is seriously my most prized possession. At least 90% of my reading is done on my Kindle and the reading experience in general is just better with my Kindle. We’ve discussed this in some other threads so I won’t rehash everything but I cannot say enough good things about the Kindle. I do think the MP3 player that is built into it is a waste of space. I hope in the new model they either get rid of it completely or make it a fully functional MP3 player (the current one only plays on shuffle and you can’t set the order nor can you fast forward or rewind through a song). I doubt I will buy the new model anytime soon as the one I have more than does the job. I also have a wonderful handmade cover for it that wouldn’t fit the newer model if the dimensions are even a little different.

The price of books for it is still way to expensive. As long as they are as expensive if not more expensive then the paperback versions I'll just get the paper back or go to the library.

The price of books for it is still way to expensive. As long as they are as expensive if not more expensive then the paperback versions I'll just get the paper back or go to the library.

As much as I love my Kindle I would never use cost as a justification for someone to buy one. Yes, Kindle books are cheaper than hardback and the classics are also very cheap. I bought the entire works of Mark Twain for somewhere around $3. And usually with regards to current paperbacks the Kindle books are a little cheaper, but I think that savings disappears for the most part when you figure in the cost of the device. If you read enough, and depending on the types of books you read, you may save money with the Kindle or break even. I, on the other hand, am actually spending more with my Kindle, and I couldn’t be happier. Why? I am spending more because I am reading more. Ever since I have had my Kindle I am getting three times as much reading done (which means I am buying three times the number of books as before). The convenience of having a book store at my finger tips and always having my entire collection with me is priceless and allows me to read whatever I am in the mood for at any particular moment, wherever I am. And perhaps the main reason I am getting even more reading done is the layout of the device allows me to read during activities that I couldn’t do easily with a traditional book. These would mainly be eating and exercising. Because it lays flat and I can adjust the font size I can read hands free while enjoying my meal. This is particularly useful when running on the treadmill as well. Right there it added about 2 ½ to 3 hours of extra reading time a day for me. I have tried those page holders for traditional books but find them frustrating.

So if you are just thinking about buying a Kindle to save money, I wouldn’t bother. While you may save a buck or two per book, you will mostly likely start going through books at a much quicker rate, thus spending more. In my opinion the best reason to purchase a Kindle is convenience. But not everyone values that convenience at the same price.

I gave my husband a Kindle for Christmas and he absolutely loves it.

However, I don't feel compelled to get a Kindle for myself because I read/study nonfiction books and make marks/notes in them. If I read mostly novels for fun rather than for study then I would probably want to buy a Kindle.

A question before I vote 'No!"...I'm having trouble reading lately.Really! I probably need to go visit my optometrist so he can sneer at me (in a lighthearted way) about there being no cure for 'old eyes'..I find myself taking my bifocals off to read, and I wonder if the Kindle has an option for larger print? Would that be more annoying than it's worth in a contraption this small? Just wondering...

Back