• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

America being ridiculous...again

Stewart

US TV fails to save Private Ryan (BBC News)

Oscar-winning war film Saving Private Ryan was dropped by a number of US TV stations on Thursday because of fears they could be fined for indecency.

And so the story goes on.

What you don't know can't hurt you, eh? ;)

War? What war?

Have you seen the movie? I have and it gets pretty gory at times. The fuss was that some stations didn't want to air the uncut version.

Why cut out the gore? To dumb down the realities of war?

Thanks for joining my forum, by the way. :) Hope you enjoy it.

cajunmama said:
Have you seen the movie?

Yes. Without wanting to get political, this is a growing thing with your country - it is becoming less liberal (although maybe this is what the electorate wants: a helping hand through life) - and therefore this freedom that is much talked about is being taken away bit by bit whether it be a decent movie to the right to abortion.

There's nothing wrong with blood and gore or nudity or violence or sexual content or foul language on television as long as its not unnecessary.

I, personally, would have a problem with my kids watching a man screaming in agony while his guts spill out into his hands then his head getting shot off. Realities of war, yes, but in some cases, a little too real. Have you read my comments in the thread "Books you'd never let your kids read?"? Some scenes in the movie disturbed me, and I completely understand the filmmaker's reasons and agree with them and all that, but in prime time when lots of kids would be watching, I think that some scenes are just too much.

Abulafia said:
There's nothing wrong with blood and gore or nudity or violence or sexual content or foul language on television as long as its not unnecessary.
I totally agree with you here. I think we just disagree on what qualifies as unecessary.

Yup! Different points of view are what makes the world interesting. BTW, love your forum. Looks great.

Do the American channels have a 'watershed' the same as we do? If so, could it not be shown after this time?

Personally I thought it was a good film :) There was a fair amount of gore, but I appreciate the fact that they show a fair representation of the realities of war.

Abulafia said:
US TV fails to save Private Ryan (BBC News)

Oscar-winning war film Saving Private Ryan was dropped by a number of US TV stations on Thursday because of fears they could be fined for indecency.

And so the story goes on.

What you don't know can't hurt you, eh? ;)

War? What war?
That's sad because I think this is a really good war film. Sure it shocks (I personally didn't have problems with it) but that's what war is all about. We tend to glorify it and I would appreciate all people to see this movie.
Concering kids => I think every "kid" which is allowed to stay up till 10 or 11 is old enough to see this movie. It's up to the parents to judge the kids ability to cope with this movie.
But the fact that kids could be watching shouldn't be an argument to skip a good movie like Privant Ryan.

Gizmo said:
Concering kids => I think every "kid" which is allowed to stay up till 10 or 11 is old enough to see this movie. It's up to the parents to judge the kids ability to cope with this movie.

Good point. My kids' bedtime is 8.

Gizmo said:
But the fact that kids could be watching shouldn't be an argument to skip a good movie like Privant Ryan.

The argument wasn't to skip it completely, it was to not show the uncut version. I would let my kids watch it, just with the gorier bits cut out.

OH GOD! I can't resist this lol

sigh... here goes :eek:

And what gives somebody the right to dictate to everybody else that either does not feel the same way as you or they don't have children? :) Did anybody ask you to have children? Did anybody make you feel the morals you have? Did anybody give you a mandate to be right?

Surely the world should be based on tolerance. It's your responsibility of a parent to monitor what he watches and not the worlds responsibility to censor everything JUST in case a child watches it.

Freedom is more important.

OK, I'm done. Don't hate me Cajunmomma!! :)

Ice said:
Do the American channels have a 'watershed' the same as we do? If so, could it not be shown after this time?

Personally I thought it was a good film :) There was a fair amount of gore, but I appreciate the fact that they show a fair representation of the realities of war.

Yes, there is a watershed. It could be shown after it, but wouldn't because of the dramatic drop in viewership after that time.

cajunmama said:
Yes, there is a watershed. It could be shown after it, but wouldn't because of the dramatic drop in viewership after that time.
:eek: What time is your watershed then? As ours is 21:00.

Another tempest in a teapot, like Janet Jackson's breast. As if seeing a tit is going to mess up anyone's head. In fact, it's being told how wrong it is to see a breast that messes kids' heads up.

Does anyone REALLY think that Janet's tit or a little blood and guts is going to have a morally degenerative effect on anyone? Half the kids in high school think "****" is the most useful word in the language, and a huge number of the songs on MTV are about gang rape, getting high, having sex, beating the crap out of someone. And has anyone been watching the nightly news? I'm seeing a lot of real dead bodies out there, a couple of real beheadings, some torture, some burned up guys getting dragged through the streets. What difference is a little Tom Hanks movies going to make? Who's foolin' who?

And who the heck made Tom "I'm not a veteran, but I played one on TV . . ." Hanks America's spokesperson on WWII? Anyone check out MR. Hanks all over the D-Day anniversary? Yet another great example of infotainment's confusion of fiction and reality. Boy, like they couldn't find a REAL veteran instead? And Steven Spielberg. Yeah, they can keep him, too.

Back