• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Americans and their ice...

honeydevil

why do americans drink everything with ice? already ice cold coke gets poured over chunks of ice in a glass out of the fridge... beer on the rocks (disgusting, how can you water your beer down with ice?), wine with ice?? :confused:...

tell me, do you have any tendency to drink everything ice cold? or where do you put ice in?

I'm American and I don't know anyone who would ever put ice in beer or wine. It is generally viewed as a way to completely ruin a good wine and totally wreck a decent beer.

Though I do know some guys who like to chill their beer glasses, which is fine for a light lager-style beer.

Ice is for liquor (it's a long tradition in Europe to add water to liquor, so I don't really see what objection anyone could have to that).

Ice is for lemonade, iced tea, and other light summer drinks.

honeydevil said:
why do americans drink everything with ice? already ice cold coke gets poured over chunks of ice in a glass out of the fridge... beer on the rocks (disgusting, how can you water your beer down with ice?), wine with ice?? :confused:...

tell me, do you have any tendency to drink everything ice cold? or where do you put ice in?

LOL-I wondered what Euros had against ice when I visited Ireland six years ago. :D I went to a place and had room temperature coke. I asked for more ice and the server put in two ice cubes in over the original three. My lord people! Fill the the whole darn cup already!.:rolleyes: No, wine or beer don't go well with ice, that's unheard of here really.

i just went in a restaurant and there were people around me who ordered their wine and beer with ice, and i was sitting there and just about jumped out of my pants... that wrecks everything... and in liquor, i mean fine if it is too heavy for you or something but come on if you have 2 ounces of liquor and 6 icecubes, let it water down, then you don't have liquor with ice, but water with a little liquor.. :(

The truth is I love ice. While I would *never* put it in wine or beer, I've been drinking iced water all day today. It's 95 out, extremely humid, and I don't have (or want) air-conditioning, but I do appreciate the luxury of ice on demand during a sweltering NY summer.

i think it is something you have to get used to... when i first came here, i didn't like ice at all, it always bumped against my teeth ... or i swallowed it and choked...(that was one of my embarrassing moments), but with the time i got used to ice but i still want that in my coke more coke than ice is.. :)

As an American, I thought I would use a cliche and put in my two cents.

Ice in beer = slap in the face.
Ice in wine = gun to the head.

I do like my beer/soda/sometimes espresso drinks cold, and am repulsed by room-temperature beer/soda/sometimes espresso drinks, but never would I add ice to either beer or wine. There are thousands of iced hard drinks in the U.S., but ice in beer and wine is very whitetrash (sorry if I've offended any one on this forum). There are rules that must be followed for anything and everything containing alcohol. Sorry.

But yes, when we do use ice, we use a crapload.

honeydevil said:
i just went in a restaurant and there were people around me who ordered their wine and beer with ice, and i was sitting there and just about jumped out of my pants... that wrecks everything... and in liquor, i mean fine if it is too heavy for you or something but come on if you have 2 ounces of liquor and 6 icecubes, let it water down, then you don't have liquor with ice, but water with a little liquor.. :(
Beer and wine is weird. But the reason you put ice or water in with whisky is to bring out the flavours. I'm not a whisky drinker myself, but I've been to a few tastings.

I have no problem with ice in drinks that are already cold (with the exception of the alcoholic beverages stated above), but I hate it when you go to the bar and they fill up the entire glass with ice and then put way too much rum in and only a little coke. I prefer coke to be the majority liquid, not water, thanks! I also like my drink to last a while (I drink very little, and I like to go drink-for-drink with beer drinkers), which the ice is not conducive to at all. If I tell the barmen this they sometimes get annoyed, especially in Quebec. It's like I'm costing them extra... What the devil do you think I'm paying for?

honeydevil said:

I have to tell you, Honeydevil, I'm a huge wine drinker and just hearing that someone put ice in their wine about made me lose my lunch. I are sure they weren't visiting from another world?

sirmyk said:
I do like my beer/soda/sometimes espresso drinks cold, and am repulsed by room-temperature beer/soda/sometimes espresso drinks, but never would I add ice to either beer or wine.

It depends on the type of beer for me. Regular lager is best cold, but a lot of beer is better at higher temperatures.

But ice in beer/wine is always wrong.

honeydevil said:

Bear in mind that they don't do real beer over there. The water acts as flavouring.

Stewart said:
Bear in mind that they don't do real beer over there. The water acts as flavouring.

Hey, I'm insulted. Read the thread, Pewart. What's really depressing is that you can't find a pub in London anymore without Budweiser advertising all over the joint.

You should come to Glasgow then; it's still got culture. If you can avoid the red T outside a few places. :rolleyes:

My favourites are still the beer halls that do a variety of beers from around the word: Zywiec, Baltika, Desperado, Gula, Tsing-Tao, Cobra, Efes, etc.

And the Belgian beers too. :)

thanks, i thought i was the only one who was about to run screaming out of the restaurant, but how it seems the people with the ice fetish are a minority....

and i kinda agree with stewart... becks in germany is a womans beer but in the US, the REAL MEN drink becks... did i miss something?

We're so accustom to have our drinks cold, it can be a difficult adjustment to drink something warm, even if it tastes better that way. I know people that will not drink red wine becuase it's served at room temp.

Perhaps the wine wasn't actually wine, but Sangria? I just can't get past someone putting ice in wine. It's got to be worse than calling yourself a wine drinker and ordering serving your guests white zinfandell.

Call me American, but I don't know what I'd do without ice. I drink ice tea like it's water all summer long. The only thing grosser than warm soda is warm ice tea.

Back