• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anatomy of a book

I just like the feel of the book in my hand, while I'm curled up in a great big chair reading it. I also like the way my books look on my shelf, and I too try and find the edition with the best cover when I buy a new book. I like the smell of the pages too, but I'm not too crazy about that part of books.

I quite agree, though personally I'm not into the smell of a book *ahem* It is nice to hold a book and read it. I think this is why e-books haven't taken off that much.

I love the smell of a book. New or old, there's just something great about it. Old smells best. I love holding a brand new book- it's mine, just mine, and I can go whereever I want with it, physically and mentally. I do love them when they're old though, be it secondhand or one of my own that I've had for years, because there's always such a story in a book like that, that someone's loved enough to keep around despite the hanging covers and broken spine. I love lent books, that someone close to you read and knew you just had to read as well; I love to read each bit and ponder their reactions as well as my own. I love turning pages, and reading ahead of yourself when you're excited and absorbed in the plot. I just love just about everything about them I guess :)

Some used and library books have the best smells. It's almost like smelling cheese, cigars, and wine. New books never have that mellow, aged aroma.

buddi said:
Probably my ideal book is Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before, which I love to hold and flip through the pages, although I've never managed to read more than fifty of them. :rolleyes:

Of his four novels I'd say that The Island of the Day Before was his weakest but it was not, by any means, a poor novel. The later arguments within - for me, the argument for life within stones - were excellent.

Abulafia said:
Of his four novels I'd say that The Island of the Day Before was his weakest but it was not, by any means, a poor novel. The later arguments within - for me, the argument for life within stones - were excellent.

Oh bother... :(

Now you've got me interested, but if I read it I might bend the spine

Back