• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anonymous: A Woman in Berlin

beer good

Since I mentioned this book in this thread and I happened to have a review written I thought I'd post it.

A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous

There's a famous picture from the end of WWII, depicting a Red Army soldier hoisting the Soviet flag over the Reichstag with a Berlin laid in ruins in the background. Most official versions of the picture are retouched to hide the fact that the soldier's arm is adorned with several plundered wristwatches.

That image comes to mind when I read this; not the forgery, but the double edge, the fleeting difference between liberating and defeating. "A Woman in Berlin" is a diary written by an anonymous woman during the fall and occupation of Berlin, between April and June of 1945. She's part of the people who lost, but decides not to lose herself, even in the face of homelessness, hunger and repeated rape. She will survive, and she does, thanks to her intelligence, luck, limited knowledge of Russian and a blank refusal to let her emotions get the better of her... it's a horrifyingly objective and sober tale. For instance, there's her calm acceptance of the fact that the Russians will take their pay in the form of rape, so she'll simply have to limit her own exposure to it by becoming some Russian's private concubine.

It's going to take a wolf to keep the other wolves at bay. An officer, as high up as possible, commendant, general, whatever I can get.

I lived in Germany in 1995, during the 50 year anniversary of what was officially dubbed the "liberation", and many Germans – especially those with roots East of the Elbe – had trouble celebrating. Which should in no way be taken to mean that they missed the Nazis, but... losing a war is never painless, and the Soviet army especially were not exactly kind to the people they "liberated". Granted, that's hardly surprising considering what the Germans had done to them just a few years earlier. The official instructions of the Red Army was to go easy on the Germans; in practice, many followed the words of the writer Ilja Ehrenburg – "violate the German women's racial pride"; it's ironic that a war that started because of the ridiculous notion of racial purity probably led to more mixed children than any other. Provided the women survived, that is.

But what "A Woman in Berlin", just like Joachim Fest's "Downfall" and the movie version thereof, does so well is to illuminate that a war is never as easy as the good versus the evil; good people will be hurt on both sides, and when the big questions are settled with bombs, it's the ordinary people who get to pay the price. 60 years later Germany still has some trouble facing up to its past, but in 1945 those thoughts were still unthinkable – it was just an issue of surviving day to day in the ruins of civilization, and not until the end of the book when the situation starts to slowly return to something resembling normality can you allow yourself to actually feel and reflect again.

Parallels to Anne Frank are tempting, but yet there's a huge difference; this is an adult woman writing, who can't allow herself to feel sorry for hersel, hate her enemies or pity those who suffer around her. When you read Anne Frank, you're spared her actual physical suffering since it ends before she's captured; that's roughly where "A Woman in Berlin" begins, and the knowledge that the writer survived – though hardly unscathed – does not in any way make it less devastating. Even if it shares the same problem as most unedited diaries, in that it has some passages which are less interesting than others, it's still a very sharp note from that gray zone where all ideologies, strategies, nationalities, races and all abstract concepts fade into the background and there are just human beings fighting to survive.

beer good,

a very interesting review, thanx. Especially I liked your not-taking side, neither of the Soviet Army nor that of German individuals.

Regarding the Redt Army - my grand-grand-uncle served there, was captured by Germans but managed to escape. He also got to Berlin. But when he was back in the USSR, he was sent to Sibir since he let the enemy-army to capture himself. So his family never saw him again. All those soldiers have very tragic stories.

Just bought that book. Actually even in German, although I am going to struggle since my German is yet not so good. But that was an original language ...

A Very Good Book Review

Hello Beer Good,

I thought I'd look up some of your posts. This is the first one I read. I was very impressed. You caught my interest right away. You cut right through the political hype that blinds many of us and focused on a human being and what that human being experienced during the war. I'm intrigued. I will see if the book is available on Amazon. Good job! You're a very talented writer.

Sincerely,

Maurice A. Williams

A Woman in Berlin: a Diary

Hello Again,

I looked into Amazon and The Internet and found out a lot I didn't know about this book and its author. I remember reading about the rapes in "Reader's Digest" right after the war. I was a young kid then, but I never forgot the image of soldiers, lined up, waiting for their turn, even in broad daylight, even in public places. The article said that some women died during their ordeal, but the rapes continued on their dead bodies.

I got the book from our local library here in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. I have it in my hands now. This will be very interesting, reading a first-hand account of what one of those women experienced. Thanks for bringing the book to my attention.

Sincerely,

Maurice A. Williams

Hello Fantansy Moon,

I recently finished reading this book. I think it's exceptionally good. It gives one an idea what really happened (at least to one person) when Berlin was conquered. I was introduced to this book by "beer good," who started this thread. His excellent book review prompted me to obtain a copy of the book from my neighborhood library.

When you're finished reading it, you might want to search The Internet. There's quite a bit of interesting information about the book and some (probably true) speculation on who the author might be.

The UK and Russian armies didn't kill Hitler. Actually Hitler committed suicide in 1945 during the final days of WW2 after he realized that he couldn't win the war.

P.S.: Sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes, I'm no mother-tongue speaker.

In a time of war, sometimes enemies ,later become allies.War is a terrible thing.

Hitler did commit suicide from what I have read.

Nice review beergood. I would like to read this book also.

The UK and Russian armies didn't kill Hitler. Actually Hitler committed suicide in 1945 during the final days of WW2 after he realized that he couldn't win the war.

Erm... and why did he commit suicide ?

because he lost the war to US-Russia ( + other countries) alliance . So they killed him :)

Erm... and why did he commit suicide ?

because he lost the war to US-Russia ( + other countries) alliance . So they killed him :)

No. He committed suicide because he was too much of a coward to face punishment for the atrocities he had ordered and committed. That and he was as crazy as a March Hare.

I started with this book a few months ago but somehow I couldn't finish it. I just couldn't cope with the notation.
Anyway imo this issue is really important and the different perceptions are interesting.
By the way of course I've read it in the original language German.

I finished it last night and although in the begining it felt as though she was very cold, continuing to read I realized this was her survival mechanism.Minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day to survive . She didn't panic, though scared, she dealt with everything as best she could.

It made me see how we take things for granted(like sugar).

Too bad she remained anonymous.

I finished it last night and although in the begining it felt as though she was very cold, continuing to read I realized this was her survival mechanism.Minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day to survive . She didn't panic, though scared, she dealt with everything as best she could.

It made me see how we take things for granted(like sugar).

Too bad she remained anonymous.
Actually she hasn't. Anonymous

Back