• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another new one!!

Be careful there Martin, Texan women are unpredictable; they wrassle bulls & eat rattlesnakes & shoot their lovers and dont admit to it for about three seasons of crap TV show!! :D

Phil

Firstly: It's wrestle (before Mile gets here).
Secondly: Doesn't George Dubbya come from Texas? :p
Thirdly: Well ... whatever.

Cheers, martin :cool:

<Sighs>

From 'The American Language' by H.L. Mencken

'However, a good many of the vowels of the early days have succumbed to pedagogy. The American proletarian may still use skeer for scare, but in most of the other words of that class he now uses the vowel approved by correct English usage. Thus he seldom permits himself such old forms as dreen for drain, keer for care, skeerce for scarce or even cheer for chair. The Irish influence supported them for a while, but now they are fast going out. So, too, are kivver for cover, crap for crop, and chist for chest. But kittle for kettle still shows a certain vitality, rench is still used in place of rinse, and squinch in place of squint, and a flat a continues to displace various e-sounds in such words as rare for rear (e. g., as a horse), thrash for thresh, and wrassle for wrestle.'

It was deliberate :)

Phil

Wow, that one went straight over my head! (I blame .. my parents)

Congratz on that one, Phil, and apologies for ruining it!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Hmmm, you may have been correct though - i think those are phonetic spellings, the actual word would be spelt wrestle even if it was spoken wrassle.

Why is language so damn complicated!!

Phil

Back