• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Another newbie

A.F.R.

kickbox
Hi,

I'm a just another newbie. My favorite authors include John Steinbeck, George Orwell, Hubert Selby and Kurt Vonnegut.

"Enough noise to waken the dead, but not to waken this lot, I thought. I felt as if I was the only person awake in a city of sleep-walkers."

-Orwell: Coming up for Air

I notice you plan on reading Evan S. Connell after your current read. This, to me, is interesting. Like my pal here, I'd never heard of him. And now he's cropping up twice in a week.

So true. I bought Max Barry's Company to keep some kind of balance.

That book is absolutely hilarious. It was the only read that had me laughing out loud from time to time. I love the description of the company IT department, not to mention the poor hack who cleared his throat very loudly.:D An absolute treat. How did you like it?

I notice you plan on reading Evan S. Connell after your current read. This, to me, is interesting. Like my pal here, I'd never heard of him. And now he's cropping up twice in a week.

The title isn't too inviting, but the story is actually about one man's road to maddness. Written diary-style, it gets under your skin. (I've read few pages.) It is a bit like Hubert Selby's The Demon.

That book is absolutely hilarious. It was the only read that had me laughing out loud from time to time. I love the description of the company IT department, not to mention the poor hack who cleared his throat very loudly.:D An absolute treat. How did you like it?

I liked his humor and characters. At times, I found the dialogue a bit forced, but it is still a great book. I think Max is right up there with Carl Hiaasen and Christopher Moore.

Unfortunately, he is having trouble getting his latest novel out. To find out more, see homepage at maxbarry.com

Back