• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Board Gamers Out There?

mehastings

Now that we are getting older (or at least it feels that way), my husband and I have started playing a lot of board games with friends rather than going out at night. It is just easier than finding a babysitter and paying them a small fortune so we can be the married people in the bar.

We've always enjoyed Trivial Pursuit and other trivia games, but we're starting to get into other kinds of stuff as well. Our favorites these days are The Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Goblet, Scrutineyes and Tuck. We recently got Apples to Apples as a gift, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Anyone else into games?

Other than Trivial Pursuit, I'm not familiar with the games you mentioned.

I like Scrabble and once in a while I'll play Monopoly.

Apples to Apples is fun..and easy to play. My oldest dd got me the Trivial Pursuit Booklover's Edition..which is great, but only she and I can play it, and I am lousy at it:p Taboo is a good one too, but more fun if there's another couple or two to play with. Scattegories is fun, but difficult. My mind goes stark raving blank the instant the timer starts.

I'm a big Monopoly fan myself. It's fun when you have more than two couples play. It takes a long time to get to the end of it, but it's a game I just like.

We usually play "Battle of the Sexes" when we have 2 or 3 couples over for dinner. After everybody has had a glass of wine it is more fun than one would expect! :D

I don't know any board games that you mentioned, aside from the popular Monopoly. I love Risk the war game, we used to play it a lot.
I guess computer games (video games in general) are taking the lead and soon your kids will stare hours in front of the screen. :eek:

I've played most of the games you guys mentioned (except the Booklover's TP...I know I'd have nobody to play that one with and Battle of the Sexes). I enjoy Scrabble and Scattergories and have been looking out at Yard Sales this summer for those two and Outburst. I haven't been lucky yet (probably because I can't get up early enough to beat the dedicated tag salers). I really want a Scrabble game though, so I'll probably ask for it for Christmas or maybe Mr Mehastings will get it for our anniversary. Who needs wilting flowers when you can have hours of spelling fun instead?

I HATE Monopoly. I think we have a set of it in our basement, but Mr Mehastings and I haven't used it once in the almost decade we've known each other. We played once at the home of another couple and I got so bored (and sick of the men's antics) that I sold all of my properties and money to the other wife for a dollar. I don't like games that last longer than an hour to an hour and a half. I get too bored. Risk is the same. We've played it a few times (Mr Mehastings loves it), but I always get bored. Unfortunately, I'm good at games, so I'm always in those long ones forever.

I'm not surprised to hear that some of my games aren't well known. Scrutineyes was only made from 1992-1993 and I had to get my copy on Ebay. I loved it as a kid and still enjoy playing. Tuck is a game they play in Canada (although it has a different name...can't remember it). I made the board myself with a big piece of plywood and a drill press. You move marbles around the board by throwing down dealt playing cards with certain meanings. It is similar to Parcheesi. The other four games are all pretty popular amongst game enthusiasts, but you probably can't find them at Target or Wal-Mart. I think you have to buy them at Hobby and Game shops.

FoxyDeda, what is Battle of the Sexes? We generally play with other couples and are always looking for new games.

Battle of the Sexes is a funny game of Q & A. You can choose to play as a team Girls against Boys or play individually. Either way it is fun but I prefer the teams version.
The questions test what each sex knows about the opposite. For example it will ask from the boys "How long are capri pants?" or from the girls "What is (some piece of a car engine or another)?".
It is silly but you get a good laugh.

I found this web site with some info: http://www.areyougame.com/interact/item.asp?q=battle+of+the+sex&qmethod=0&itemno=01420&sa=0

I am thinking about getting the IQ Edition one for our next party. :D

I would not say i'm an active boardgamer but its fun sometimes.
Most of the time its Trivial Pursuit, but i also occasionally play Junta, risk or scrabble. My favourite boardgame of all time is still Junta, but rarely end up playing it as it takes a bit more dedication than most other boardgames.

Of sweet Mary Jesus son of a b^*&%.

If by getting older I somehow find myself taking interest in board games, then I'm popping the bullet at 35. I can't stand board games. I need to be moving, be with my body or with my imagination (not my mind so much, me r stoopud).

Of sweet Mary Jesus son of a b^*&%.

If by getting older I somehow find myself taking interest in board games, then I'm popping the bullet at 35. I can't stand board games. I need to be moving, be with my body or with my imagination (not my mind so much, me r stoopud).

Put away that gun! Believe it or not, there is a board game just for you..lots of them, in fact. Crainium and all it's variations might be just what you need. They all combine knowlege and action to gain points. This is not just as sitdown and try to look smart sort of game.

If by getting older I somehow find myself taking interest in board games, then I'm popping the bullet at 35.

Well, maybe you won't. Of course, when I was your age, I never stopped. I was out with my friends all weekend long and doing other stuff afternoons and evenings after school. You never know what you'll appreciate later on.

My husband and I aren't even thirty yet, but when going out to dinner stops being "going out to dinner" and becomes "picking up the babysitter on the way home from work, showering again to remove macaroni/pizza sauce/melted chocolate from your hair, listening to wailing as you walk out the door, getting at least one cell phone call in the middle of dinner about how child is crying/refusing to eat/throwing things/biting the dog, rushing to get home so the babysitter isn't out past curfew and then driving said sitter home after they've eaten all the cookies in your house and cleaned out your wallet", going out just stops being fun and you start looking for things to do at home. Our friends that are parents bring their kids here and we can keep an eye on them while enjoying a nicer and cheaper meal than we'd get at a resturant and then play a game or two in our screen house after all the kids are out cold.

The last time we socialized with my cousin and his now ex-wife, was when we just had the two kids..They invited us over to play cards and hang out..keep in mind what that meant when he and I were growing up. His parents, grandparents, his uncle and wife, and my parents got together to play cards and we kids took the opportunity to play and have real fun. Fast forward 20+ years, and this cousin opens the door to our ring, and his face falls when he sees our little ones in tow..and he says, "Oh you brought THEM!?! Our parents never hired a babysitter just so they could socialize. Never.

My husband and I aren't even thirty yet, but when going out to dinner stops being "going out to dinner" and becomes "picking up the babysitter on the way home from work, showering again to remove macaroni/pizza sauce/melted chocolate from your hair, listening to wailing as you walk out the door, getting at least one cell phone call in the middle of dinner about how child is crying/refusing to eat/throwing things/biting the dog, rushing to get home so the babysitter isn't out past curfew and then driving said sitter home after they've eaten all the cookies in your house and cleaned out your wallet", going out just stops being fun and you start looking for things to do at home. Our friends that are parents bring their kids here and we can keep an eye on them while enjoying a nicer and cheaper meal than we'd get at a resturant and then play a game or two in our screen house after all the kids are out cold.

That's because it is totally not worth it. All the hassle and money just to feel rushed and guilty the entire time stinks.

On the positive side: with a little supervision(and I do mean a small amount) the kids get to have a blast too, and can learn to socialize in a positive way with your friends as well as with those other children. I also like the idea that they might just learn that a fun time does not have to be expensive or high tech.

I don't know what board games you are thinking of, but some of the ones we play require you to dance, mime, write, etc... :rolleyes: Monopoly is just about the most boring game in the world, if this is the only one you can think of you don't know what you are missing.
This has nothing to do with age anyway, I am 31!! :p Be it strategy, knowledge or dumb luck, it is just fun to compete and win. Playing a board game is a great way to finish an evening when we have couples over for dinner at your house. It is a way to keep everybody together.

I love Apples to Apples but you really need 4 or more people to make it really fun.

I enjoy playing (in no particular order):

Axis & Allies
Apples to Apples
Chess
Go
Checkers
Risk
Scrabble
Yahtzee
Harpoon

I have heard great things about these German-style board games but have not played them yet:

Settlers of Catan (I picked this up 2 months ago but haven't played it yet:confused: :eek: )
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico

I have heard great things about these German-style board games but have not played them yet:

Settlers of Catan (I picked this up 2 months ago but haven't played it yet:confused: :eek: )

I haven't heard of the other two, but we play this one a lot. It takes a little while to get used to playing it (as there is a lot to it), but after a few plays you'll love it. We have the expansion set to play with 5-6 players and really like doing it that way.

I've never heard of most of these and don't often play board games, however when we do then some of the ones we play with friends are Trivial Pursuit, Taboo, Articulate and Scattergories.

Back