• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any ideas on how we can attract more posts in the non fiction section?

Hmm, good question Robert. I know the reason why I've rarely posted there is because I haven't read a lot of nonfiction for fun. Perhaps others have the same reason?

I hardly ever read entire non-fiction works myself and when I do, it's usually just a few chapters (the ones that interest me and help me in what I'm researching at that time). I honestly don't know what would get me to read more non-fiction and discuss it.

Just keep posting threads and hope for the best?

Well maybe a non-fiction book of the month? I am just starting to read a few non-fiction books this year. I really like Devil in the White Cityhere and would read more like it but don't really know of many non-fiction books. It would be nice to find out about more.

Ronny said:
Well maybe a non-fiction book of the month?
I think this is a great idea. I'm always telling myself that I should go out and get a non-fiction rather than a fiction book next time I visit the library, but it never ends up happening. I think a reason to read non-fiction is just what I need.

MonkeyCatcher

I've liked a few non-fiction books lately but it's hard to find new ones. I don't like really slow, dry, technical books but a couple like Devil in the White City & A Short History of Nearly Everything, were good starts into the non-fiction area. You could give them a try if you've not read them yet. I would like to hear about more books of this sort.

I'm really up for this and in fact was thinking about this last night as I was sitting with Frida Kahlo's diary on my lap. I considered posting a thread about it but then thought well who would be interested in this, it's more appropriate for an art history forum. But hell no, I want to share it with other people here, so when I've woken up and had the required amount of coffee I'm going to post it.

I like non-fiction, and whereas taste in this area may be very specific, according to our interests, hobbies etc, I just thought it would be nice to share something about non-fiction books we really like. And it's such a huge area that I'm sure most of us would have something to offer to get the ball rolling..

(edited for stray full stop)

francesca said:
I was sitting with Frida Kahlo's diary on my lap. I considered posting a thread about it but then thought well who would be interested in this, it's more appropriate for an art history forum.

Like this?

I think one of the problems may be the first post in a thread. If the post says 'Has anyone read this' and nobody has, there will be no replies. We could have sticky threads by subject, where people could add books as they read them and others could look for suggestions.

Well, lately, all of the non-fiction I have been reading has been about college, engineering and financial aid. I seriously doubt anyone would be interested in hearing about that. But I have some non-fic in my TBR pile that is actually interesting, and so, I'll post on those when I do read them.

Other than biographies, a lot of non-fiction topics have to do with debate and conflict. I'm just guessing, but I'd bet that some people just stay away rather than risk drawing the ire of a mod. for debating a book. Perhaps it needs to be a little "looser" in there? I don't know, just speculating.

I do read non fiction, but it's normally success literature (Covey, Robbins), financial stuff (Kiyosaki, personal finance, stock stuff). Not much to discuss there, unless there's a thread the specifically addresses the subject matter.

I've Bill Clinton's biography, and enjoy reading about politics and stuff, and I'll give you three guesses why nobody'd post any threads about that.

Why don't you post anyway, and see who participates? You'd be surprised, I've added a couple of stuff to my TBR pile because of the non-fiction forum, especially Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel.

ds

Back