• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any Reality Dysfunction Fans?

Rafael

I just bought the reality dysfunction novels part one: Emergence and Expansion by Peter Hamilton,and i have to say its is one of the best Sci-fi novels ive read in a long time. It makes Enders Game, look like Dysney.
56597.gif

Ooh. Your copies have different names. I've read the whole of the trilogy, and it was indeed fantastic. Apart from the final conclusion of the trilogy, which made me very angry indeed. I don't think it's particularly comparable to Ender though. The stories are quite different. A little boy struggling with his conscience doesn't really compare to a sex mad egomaniac battling the legions of the undead.

If you're enjoying the parts set in space and you haven't tried him already, then some of the Iain M Banks books which are based around the Ships might appeal.

And if you like Ender's Game, a book I found similar, though at the same time quite different, is The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Instead of a litle boy going to battle school, you have a little girl being trained up by a primer (a bit like the giant game in Ender) and then going off to kick butt against corruption.

I recently read Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton and thought it was fantastic so have the reality dysfunction novels in my 'save for later' list with Amazon - I though I would save them for my two week holiday in November so I can really get stuck in. Litany, thanks for the additional recommendation - looks interesting. The tbr list grows ever longer :D

Yeah, I loved the night dawn trilogy! :) It's really a fantastic space opera, the best I have ever read. I do agree that the ending, especially after around 5000 pages SUCKED. That said, it's sill fantastic and if you have the time to put in I can recommend those books.

Litany said:
Ooh. Your copies have different names. I've read the whole of the trilogy, and it was indeed fantastic. Apart from the final conclusion of the trilogy, which made me very angry indeed. I don't think it's particularly comparable to Ender though. The stories are quite different. A little boy struggling with his conscience doesn't really compare to a sex mad egomaniac battling the legions of the undead.

If you're enjoying the parts set in space and you haven't tried him already, then some of the Iain M Banks books which are based around the Ships might appeal.

And if you like Ender's Game, a book I found similar, though at the same time quite different, is The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Instead of a litle boy going to battle school, you have a little girl being trained up by a primer (a bit like the giant game in Ender) and then going off to kick butt against corruption.

Let me get this straight you read all six books? cool! :)

Oponn said:
I'll have to check out this Ender's Game thingie...
Enders Game,Speaker of the Dead and Xenocide are the only one's I really enjoyd. This is my point of view. The story line had alot more potential and it should had ended in Xenocide. But for some strange reason Card wanted to make the story a little longer and it just made it boring.

Rafael said:
Let me get this straight you read all six books? cool! :)

Over here, the Night's Dawn trilogy is three very large books indeed. Which, I suppose, is why yours have different titles. They must have split each of the books in half. They're enormous books, so I can see that splitting them might make the series a little less daunting.

With Ender's Game, you should try the Shadow Saga series. I've got Ender's Shadow waiting to be read at the moment, so I can't comment on if it's any good, but it runs parallel to Ender's Game and, I believe, tells the story from Bean's point of view. I got a bit sick of Ender, and can't work myself up to bothering with Children of the Mind. The series got quite dull and miserable, so I'm hoping the Shadow Saga is more in the spirit of the original.

Litany said:
Over here, the Night's Dawn trilogy is three very large books indeed. Which, I suppose, is why yours have different titles. They must have split each of the books in half. They're enormous books, so I can see that splitting them might make the series a little less daunting.

With Ender's Game, you should try the Shadow Saga series. I've got Ender's Shadow waiting to be read at the moment, so I can't comment on if it's any good, but it runs parallel to Ender's Game and, I believe, tells the story from Bean's point of view. I got a bit sick of Ender, and can't work myself up to bothering with Children of the Mind. The series got quite dull and miserable, so I'm hoping the Shadow Saga is more in the spirit of the original.

I think you are right Litany ive heard some comments of the shadows series being alot more entertaining than Speaker and Genocide. Let me know if its true ok? :)
PS.Which of the novels from the Night Dawn Trilogy did you enjoy the most?
Whats up whit the Neutronium Alchemist, is it some kind of Doom Day Weapon?

Rafael said:
PS.Which of the novels from the Night Dawn Trilogy did you enjoy the most?
Whats up whit the Neutronium Alchemist, is it some kind of Doom Day Weapon?

I think I liked the second book the best. It just kicked straight into the story, and there was a lot of action. The first book was only let down because, as the first book, it needed to deal with setting the stage and letting me get into the universe and figure stuff out, the third book was let down by the ending. :(

I'm not going to tell you what the Alchemist is. You'll find out from reading the books. I only spoil books for people who aren't enjoying them and want to know how it ends without having to read it. :p

Litany said:
I think I liked the second book the best. It just kicked straight into the story, and there was a lot of action. The first book was only let down because, as the first book, it needed to deal with setting the stage and letting me get into the universe and figure stuff out, the third book was let down by the ending. :(

I'm not going to tell you what the Alchemist is. You'll find out from reading the books. I only spoil books for people who aren't enjoying them and want to know how it ends without having to read it. :p

Does Joshua keep boning other chicks in the Neutronium Alchemist, Litany? :D

Without spoiling too much, Hamilton writes himself into a bit of a corner and ends it all with a Deus Ex Machina ending. When you reach the point in the last book where you start thinking there aren't possibly enough pages for him to sort all this out, then start steeling yourself. I think if you know it's coming then it isn't too bad. I was expecting something completely stunning. I thought, from his style of writing, that he already had the ending worked out when he started the book, but I think now that he got carried away with himself and really couldn't see another way out. Right up until the very end the books are fantastic, and I wouldn't want to put you off reading them. I don't always hate Deus Ex Machina endings as sometimes they fit in with the story, but in this one I did find it to be a bit of a cop out.

Litany said:
A little boy struggling with his conscience doesn't really compare to a sex mad egomaniac battling the legions of the undead.

Hahaha ... that IS good! But I have to say this morning I know which would be of more interest!

And ... ahm, what exactly is a dysfunctional novel?

wonders

SFxxx :cool:

The RD is a long book as are all in the trilogy. I find with all these vast book that cover a lot of ground it is easy to get a bit lost. My advice is to read these books as fast as possible. This will keep things fresh and save re-reading chapters or skipping back to a section to discover who is who and what have they done.

As for the ending, hmmmmmmmm, oh well it worked in a sort of way, but the journey getting there was the thrill ride.

Back