• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any really, really, really long books that you would recommend?

Well, I'm not sayin' it's great, 'cause I'm still not sold on it, but if you haven't read War & Peace, it would fit the "long" bill -- my hardback copy is 1386 pages.

I suggest Dumas - many of his works are very, very long. And interconnected, so you could consider all of it as one really, very long book.

I second, The Count of Monte Cristo.

The Stand, if you like Stephen King.

Cryptonomicon is fairly long (not quite as long as the others mentioned) - but very good.

Almost anything by Michener. I liked Hawaii and The Source. I have Chesapeake waiting on my shelf and was told it's very good. All 1000+ pages.

Sarum by Edward Rutherford

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Shogun by James Clavell (one of my favourites)

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. What type of books do you like? Any particular genre?

Ell

I'll third Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo and 2nd Clavell's Shogun

Have a read of the blurb of A suitable boy by Vikram Seth, and decide whether or not the subject matter appeals to you.

Islandia by Austin Tappan Wright isn't bad, but can be considered a bit too 'sedate' for some.

Gormenghast by Mervyn Laurence Peake - some people find the prose impenetrable, so have a read of a few pages in store/online before deciding whether to purchase.

You might want to check out Prairyerth by William Least-Heat Moon. It is non-fiction, but non-fiction of a very special sort. And long.

East of Eden is really good, has basically no sex, but it's not terribly long (approx 600 pages). I don't know what your definition of long is - but 600 pages isn't short either. It's an excellent book - not a classic for nothing :)

avidreader55 said:
I prefer very long books without excessive sex. Any recommendations?

The Bible

Simon Schama's The History of Britain (3 volumes)

The Encyclopaedia Britannica

:rolleyes:

I also think East of Eden is a good choice!

Also the book i'm reading now called Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa is right around 1000 pages and so far it is really good.

And I havent read it all the way through but Don Quixote come to mind as long

The 4 books now called The Three Musketeers, 20 Years After, The Vicomte De Bragelonne, and The Man In The Iron Mask are actually 1 book. Dumas wrote serials, and they were only put into the separate books later on.

Low on sex, but at times sensual. Historic fiction at it's best.

I also like The Stand, and I think it is a pity that it has to be compared to the rest of Stephen King's books. Read it on it's own merits.

Shogun is also incredible.

I recently read 'Long Walk to Freedom' which is Nelson Madelas autobiography and I found it very moving. I was put off by the length of it at first but it is an extremely easy read and it gave me a lot to think about

Folly
xxxxx

The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Penman - that's a hell of a long book! It's historical fiction covering the War of the Roses and Richard III's doomed reign. Excellent!

i second(or 3rd or whatever to infinity) anything by dumas. the count of monte cristo and the three musketeers saga especially. phenomenal and long. 800-1400 pages.

Back