• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any recomendations for psychological thrillers?

Sar

kickbox
I've got to the point where horror just doesn't seem to scare or even unnerve me anymore, so I want to try out some psychological thrillers (Silence of the Lambs type) as I really like the film genre. I was hoping people here might be able to recommend some worthwhile books to me.

So far, I've been told to try out Jeffrey Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman & (of course) Thomas Harris. Anyone else? Or does anyone disagree with those 3 being suggested?

Sar - My genre too!

It depends on which sort you like... J Kellerman is quite tame really although I love his books! Have you tried Nicci French? What do you want out of the book? A fright? Excitement? There are so many to choose from!

I really want to try out all sorts of different ones, but I guess it is mainly the fright factor I am after.

I'll second the vote for Deaver.

And he has a new one out in the Lincoln Rhyme series (The Twelfth Card) that I hope to pick up soon. The Bone Collector is the first of the series.

Give it a shot.

RaVeN

Sar,

You shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down new authors. The success of Silence of the Lambs created a whole cottage industry of folks trying to shape stories around ever more twisted serial killer types. Not my cup of tea, to be sure, but Caleb Carr is quite popular. Harold Schechter, who has written a number of books about real serial killers, has written at least one work of fiction - Nevermore.

funes said:
Sar,

You shouldn't have too much trouble tracking down new authors. The success of Silence of the Lambs created a whole cottage industry of folks trying to shape stories around ever more twisted serial killer types. Not my cup of tea, to be sure, but Caleb Carr is quite popular. Harold Schechter, who has written a number of books about real serial killers, has written at least one work of fiction - Nevermore.

Don't take this personally, please, but Caleb Carr is a suckfest. His books are completely anachronistic, full of modern dialogue and modern people roaming the streets of Manhattan in Victorian outfits and stepping in horseshit. Plus, I think The Alienist was a bit suspenseful, but the two books that followed were rubbish.

You know, he's sometimes interviewed as some kind of expert of Victorian NYC, which is a farce. Did you know his dad was Lucien Carr, the Beat dude? That's why Caleb got a book contract. He was born sexy.

If you want to read someone who knows their stuff there, try Luc Sante.

Don't take this personally, please, but Caleb Carr is a suckfest.

Not at all. Frankly, I'm rather inclined to agree with you. I read The Alienist just to see what all the hub-bub was about, and thought the book terribly cynical. I mean, in the sense that it read like someone went to a writer, any writer, with the bare bones of a very tired plot, a list of characters from central casting, and a bag full of money and said "Write this." Cynical in the sense that I can see everybody sitting around and toting up what makes a "successful" book (either Carr, or a publishing exec, or both), and then writing that book.
As I said, the whole genre really isn't my cup of tea.

I agree with someone who posted earlier, Jeffrey Deaver is fantastic.

I also read one called Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
That was a good one too,

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane has a fantastic twist in it!

I think it's worth a go. In fact, any Dennis Lehane is pretty good, I think.

I agree with someone who posted earlier, Jeffrey Deaver is fantastic.

I also read one called Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.
That was a good one too,

I agree completely with these recommendations. They are both very good. However check out Messiah and Storm from Boris Starling. That would be exactly what you are looking for.

psychological thriller

I found Enduring Love - by Ian McEwan haunting.

How a stalker can make you go mad, ruin your life, relationships, sometimes only even by suggestion...........

no gorry details but mental violence

Missy

was hoping people here might be able to recommend some worthwhile books to me.

So far, I've been told to try out Jeffrey Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman & (of course) Thomas Harris. Anyone else? Or does anyone disagree with those 3 being suggested?

Sar
[I am a newbie whispering in the corner]

I am a real mystery buff but not horror. I don't think Deaver (I do not like his work or writing) or Kellerman (one of my favorites) will fit your need.

But as I am thinking one of the scariest books I have ever read is
THE TURNING OF THE SCREW by Henry James.

Have you tried John Saul? I have read a few of his tamer ones but he does write books too scary for me.

Anne Rice's vampire books, I am told, are very good and very scary and perhaps disturbing to some readers.

If I were you I would put "HORROR NOVELS" into my search engine and see what I what I come with.

GOOD LUCK
GERBAM

Messiah is superb. I read that a couple of weeks ago.

Tami Hoag is an good thriller author too.
I've also just read The Death List by Paul Johnston. It's excellent, was one I coudn't put down until I'd finished it. I've probably done permanant damage to my bladder.

One of the best psychological thrillers I have ever read is "Intensity" by Dean Koontz, that one definately kept me on my seat! It is also my fav book by him.

Back