• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any recomendations for psychological thrillers?

Free ebook mystery - Ransom X

Ransom X just cracked the top 100 on smashwords in only three months. I'm proud because it is my first novel and my first attempt at crafting a unique detective character within the genre.:)

I'd also like to add an old faithful (if you've not ever read it and even if you've seen themovie version) "The Exorcist". This is a horror novel that published in 1971, written by William Peter Blatty. While supposedly based on a true story, Blatty takes you over the edge.

The book is excellent ... sometimes those old ones are worth reading even if they are somewhat dated.

I've always been a huge fan of Thomas Harris, particularily SOTL & Red Dragon. Closest I've read to him is No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy, even if you've seen the movie, it's a great read. Also, Undercurrents - Ridley Pearson (written arount the time of SOTL), and a creepy one is Ruins by Scott Smith (author of A Simple Plan, also a great book). I wish you luck, as it is so difficult trying to get similar reads to Thomas Harris, please Mr. Harris, one more book.

Sar
[I am a newbie whispering in the corner]

I am a real mystery buff but not horror. I don't think Deaver (I do not like his work or writing) or Kellerman (one of my favorites) will fit your need.

But as I am thinking one of the scariest books I have ever read is
THE TURNING OF THE SCREW by Henry James.

Have you tried John Saul? I have read a few of his tamer ones but he does write books too scary for me.

Anne Rice's vampire books, I am told, are very good and very scary and perhaps disturbing to some readers.

If I were you I would put "HORROR NOVELS" into my search engine and see what I what I come with.

GOOD LUCK
GERBAM
If you have a Kindle, The Turn Of The Screw is free on Amazon, I've just downloaded it.

"crime and punishment " by fyodr doslokinov Russian author is about a student who murders a women got money and never regrets it, the novel follows the carry and mouse type psychological games between police and student. He meets a prostitute called Sonya offers redemption to him.

I've got to the point where horror just doesn't seem to scare or even unnerve me anymore, so I want to try out some psychological thrillers (Silence of the Lambs type) as I really like the film genre. I was hoping people here might be able to recommend some worthwhile books to me.

So far, I've been told to try out Jeffrey Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman & (of course) Thomas Harris. Anyone else? Or does anyone disagree with those 3 being suggested?

Hi Guy’s,

You have got to read this book “From The Shadows They Come” it’s out on Kindle only at the moment.

All the other books, and there are only one or two, on this unique Special Forces Unit have mainly talked about the selection for this unit. This book for the first time tells us how the unit worked. The writer had to make up an operation for obvious reasons. But what an insight in to one of the most secretive Special Forces units in the world.

Sociopaths in love.

Hi Guy’s,

You have got to read this book “From The Shadows They Come” it’s out on Kindle only at the moment.

All the other books, and there are only one or two, on this unique Special Forces Unit have mainly talked about the selection for this unit. This book for the first time tells us how the unit worked. The writer had to make up an operation for obvious reasons. But what an insight in to one of the most secretive Special Forces units in the world.

I've got to the point where horror just doesn't seem to scare or even unnerve me anymore, so I want to try out some psychological thrillers (Silence of the Lambs type) as I really like the film genre. I was hoping people here might be able to recommend some worthwhile books to me.

So far, I've been told to try out Jeffrey Deaver, Jonathan Kellerman & (of course) Thomas Harris. Anyone else? Or does anyone disagree with those 3 being suggested?

Deaver and Harris are both very good. Don't bother with Hannibal Rising but Red Dragon is pretty darn scary.

The Lincoln Rhyme series by Deaver are great - very tense but also interesting because Rhyme is a) a quadraplegic and b) a genius. I didn't care for the Kathryn Dance novels as much, but XO was pretty tense.

I haven't read all of the Harlan Coben novels, but the ones I read might suit you.

The Mallory series by Carol O'Connell might also be up your alley. I liked the earlier ones in the series much more than the more recent ones, mostly because the later ones get more mystical, supernatural etc. which is not my thing.

Hi I don't know about psychological thrillers but if I could recommend anything it would be 'let them eat cake' by winterly Amis it's a short thriller, to the point and quite unnerving. Really makes you hold your breath for a while. I found it on Kindle, it was an unintentional purchase but I'm glad I did, really enjoyable. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back