• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

any recommendations if I liked The Wheel of Time?

scape

Hello, Im new here and probably not as hardcore into books as most here. Just spent 9 years in the military and got away from reading during that time. Just recently got back into it and finished up Robert Jordan's(R.I.P) The Wheel of Time series.... well, the prequel and up to book 11. The last book is not due out to the end of this year probably and was wondering if there are any recommendations for something that is similar to that series. Just something that is fantasy based, grand and epic will do, doesn't have to have similar writing to Robert Jordan. Something that is fairly long, maybe like The Wheel of Time would also be nice so i don't finish it in a few days.

2 that I stumbled across but not sure which one would fit me better was Terry Goodkin's Sword of Truth series and George Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. are those 2 any good?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, posted this in another forum here but I think I had it in the Wrong section.

George R Martin is very good,(they must be 12 of them too)IMO better than Jordan.
I loved Glen Cook the black company serie(10 or more)
David Gemmell is one of the best but not series(at least not more than 3)

ah, thank you.

Read some reviews on Martin's series. Looks pretty good, seemed like lots of people had a problem, saying there is not much fantasy in it and he tends to glorify the villains or something along those lines.

The Black Company series looked really good and something different. Though, I will admit I was very confused when trying to figure out the order of the books on Amazon. Did not seem to be a simple Book 1, Book 2, and so on. It looked all over the place, not even sure I knew which was the first to start off with =)

Which books by David Gemmell are you talking about? There seem to be a lot of them. Drenai Tales?

This might help about Glen Cook http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/glen-cook/

Martin writes fantasy,just not stupid one.(like Terry Goodkind).

My Favorite of Gemmell are Lion of Macedon(the story of alexander the great but fantasy) and the rigante serie

Some like Feist,i read 3 but halfheartedly.My father like Feist a lot before i pushed Martin on him.He changed his mind since.

still kind of confused on the order of The Black Company Books.

i can figure out that The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and the White Rose are the first 3. it also says The Silver Spike is book 4 but then for The Books of the South(have no idea what this is) it has Shadow Games, Dreams of Steal, and then Silver Spike again, according to the cover picture on Amazon.

do you know the order of the books from this?-

The Black Company
Shadows Linger
The White Rose
The Silver Spike
Annals of the Black Company
Chronicles of the Black Company
Return of the Black Company

Black Company : Book of the South(what is books of the South?)
Shadow Games
Dreams of Steel

Sorry, I probably sound really stupid... which i feel stupid. But I just can't figure out this series lol

Maybe start with the first 4(i read them,all are good) and my guess is the south serie follows(from the story).But try those so you'd know if you like it.

thanks for your time. looked it up on wiki and it explained the series of events. looks like it goes Books of the North-> Books of the South-> Books of the Glittering Stone, and Silver Spike is a stand alone novel on the company.

I decided on Black Company and A Song of Ice and Fire. will head down to my bookstore Monday and see if they have them.

thanks for the advice.

Song of Ice and Fire is excellent but the dude is fat, old, and really lazy and will die long before finishing it. A Dance with Dragons, the next book in the series, has been scheduled to come out for what 5 years now and keeps getting pushed back. I'd hold off on it till at least that book comes out which is suppose to happen this Sept but we shall see :).

Song of Ice and Fire is excellent but the dude is fat, old, and really lazy and will die long before finishing it. A Dance with Dragons, the next book in the series, has been scheduled to come out for what 5 years now and keeps getting pushed back. I'd hold off on it till at least that book comes out which is suppose to happen this Sept but we shall see :).

I believe this is the third time you have spoke as such about Mr. Martin. I think you need to keep the crass comments to yourself. It's one thing to be upset about it, but your complaints don't add anything to the discussion, and they are down right rude.

Back to the subject ...

I just read "The Warded Man" by Peter Brett and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is the first book of the series though and was just released. I have never read Jordan's WoT series, but have seen a few people mention that "The Warded Man" has similarities to WoT and may even be better/more interesting.

I think Terry Goodkind is terrible and he's a thief. If you've already read "The Wheel of Time" you'd recognize a lot of the elements in Goodkind's books after the first few. He stole a lot from RJ.

You could try The Belgariad by David Eddings.
or The Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon. (I'm on the first of these books right now and it's pretty good so far)
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King (Fantasy, but not your standard fantasy. Still one of the best series I've ever read though)
Eragon by Christopher Paolini is actually really good (despite some of the criticism).
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Again, not really fantasy like the WoT, but fantasy nonetheless. Plus, it's a really great series.

thank you guys for the recommendations. I will be looking up everything mentioned here and seeing what my local book store has. It is so nice to finally have time again to read, I just feel like i am really far behind and have been out of the scene for a while.

I just read "The Warded Man" by Peter Brett and enjoyed it quite a bit. It is the first book of the series though and was just released. I have never read Jordan's WoT series, but have seen a few people mention that "The Warded Man" has similarities to WoT and may even be better/more interesting.

Thank you. It does sound very good. One of the reviews I read also said that it is similar to the first books in Wheel of Time, which I thought was amazing.... before it got to that dreaded, mid series lull of course.

I think the fact that so many fans are bitter about the amount of time between the release of A Feast For Crows and A Dance of Dragons is testament to how good the series A Song of Ice and Fire really is. I'm throwing my lot in with the Martin advocates. I also want to say something about the glorifying villains thing. This is just plain wrong. He never glorifies villainous deeds. However, his characters contain much more depth than in most fantasy, meaning that the good guys are not your typical sparkling white knights who never make mistakes and his bad guys aren’t ugly orc creatures bred for evil—they are human beings who are playing the hand they were dealt in Martin’s world, which is a much harder world to live in than ours (and most other fantasy worlds). The characters in Ice and Fire might do bad things sometimes (even some of the good guys) but Martin gets it across well—without coming out and saying it—that anybody, if put in the same situation, would probably do the same thing. He doesn’t condone those actions by any means, though, much less glorify them. This is what makes this series great—the bad guys aren’t just doing bad things because they are evil. There are no clear cut lines saying, These are the heroes, or, These are the bad guys. Within the world, there are different factions, of course, and within each of these many factions there are some good guys and some bad guys. Some factions have more good guys than bad guys and vice versa, but even in the one faction that I’d consider to be the main villains of the series (the Lannisters) there are people that I like and sympathize with. At the same time, there are people that I absolutely hate in the “good guy” factions. Anyway, long rant short: If the glorifying villains thing is keeping you from reading this series, forget about it—whoever said that obviously missed something while reading the books.

I'm on the third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I'd recommend it for any fantasy lover. It's a GREAT series. I just wanted to check it out since Sanderson is the guy who is finishing the Wheel of Time series. Let's just say, after reading his books, I'm VERY excited for the Wheel of Time. He's a great writer.

I'm on the third book of the "Mistborn" trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I'd recommend it for any fantasy lover. It's a GREAT series. I just wanted to check it out since Sanderson is the guy who is finishing the Wheel of Time series. Let's just say, after reading his books, I'm VERY excited for the Wheel of Time. He's a great writer.

This is good to hear. I have almost picked up the Mistborn series more than once but have been skeptical because I heard Sanderson can be a little too long winded. I'll probably pick it up soon since WoT 12A is on its way.

This is good to hear. I have almost picked up the Mistborn series more than once but have been skeptical because I heard Sanderson can be a little too long winded. I'll probably pick it up soon since WoT 12A is on its way.

I don't think he's long-winded at all, but if you enjoy RJ's books, then I'm 99% positive you won't think he's long winded either.

I don't think he's long-winded at all, but if you enjoy RJ's books, then I'm 99% positive you won't think he's long winded either.

Well if he's only as or less long winded as Jordan (who is long winded, though not enough so to make me stop liking his books--with the possible exception of Crossroads of Twilight, but he made up for it with Knife of Dreams) then I'm sure I would like him. I've also been wanting to get into a new saga-like series. How many Mistborn books are there?

It's a trilogy, so thankfully it's done. I'm only halfway through the last book, so I can't attest to the entirety of the book (including it's ending) but what I've read so far has been very well done and has kept me interested.

has anyone read Lord of the Isles by David Drake? my girlfriend picked it up for me at random at the book store. i will probably give it a try when i am done with the Deepgate Codex books.

With your military background, if you like military fiction I would recommend The First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie or the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series by Steven Erikson. If you really liked the last few Wheel of Time books (written by Brandon Sanderson) you should check out his new series starting with The Way of Kings. Otherwise, this fantasy book search engine lets you search by sub-genre to help you really dial-in a few good series recommendations.

Back