• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any recommendations?

Turbocat

kickbox
Am looking for some new recommendations..fed up with chick lit and really enjoy books like The Shadow Of The Wind. Am looking for something a bit different..any suggestions welcome. ;)

if on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino is certainly different, easily readable, and you may just enjoy it.

It certainly sounds different and interesting. Also have The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho on my list so far. thanks

Oh dear! i have heard nothing but good reviews...my dad has bought all of his books off Ebay.lol
the word 'pretentious' springs to mind

In what way?

I think it's just that it's a tiny little book sporting little depth and offers little in the way of excitement or fulfillment.

Have you read other books by Coehlo? Is it just this one that's bin fodder? His name pops up all over, so I wonder if he's good most of the time or if he's simply over rated.

I am still going to read the book as id very much like to make my own opinion as it is regarded so highly by others

No, and I wouldn't want to.

I really don't know. I've never felt the urge to even be seen picking up one of his others in a bookshop. I do like the covers though. My favourite review of it was over on Palimpsest and was one word.

Wow! That was the most precise review I've ever read. And having read a few brilliant ones around here, that's saying something. Okay, maybe I'll put off reading Mr. Coelho awhile longer..there are so many others.

Some lesser-known books I’ve enjoyed and would recommend:

"The Ha-Ha" by David King
Howard Kapostash is a wounded Vietnam veteran whose injury has left him unable to read, write or speak, but who is, as the card he's always reluctant to give people points out, "of normal intelligence." After Howard agrees to look after his ex-girlfriend's son, Ryan, while she is in rehab, Ryan's presence profoundly alters the lives of Howard and his three housemates.

“The Death & Life of Charlie St. Cloud” by Ben Sherwood
Charlie St. Cloud loves his kid brother, Sam, more than anything else in the world. So one day, he "borrows" their neighbor's car and takes Sam to see a Red Sox game, never dreaming that their escapade will end in a terrible accident that Sam does not survive. Thirteen years pass. Still keeping his promise to his brother that he'll never leave him, Charlie is the caretaker at Waterside, the cemetery where Sam is buried. Every evening, as soon as Waterside is secured for the night, Charlie goes to a hidden area of the memorial park and plays catch with his brother. Meanwhile, master sailor Tessis ready to make a solo trip around the world even though she loves the "snug little village" of Marblehead, Massachusetts. But she barely survives a disastrous trial run. Shaken, she visits her father's grave and meets Charlie, who is immediately drawn to her.

“The Book of Joe” by Jonathan Tropper
After Joe Goffman's Bush Falls becomes a runaway bestseller, he never expects to go back to his small Connecticut hometown and face the outrage generated by the dark secrets his autobiographical novel reveals. But when his father suffers a life-threatening stroke, return the unhappy and unfulfilled Joe does, to meet head-on the antipathy waiting for him.

Am looking for some new recommendations..fed up with chick lit and really enjoy books like The Shadow Of The Wind. Am looking for something a bit different..any suggestions welcome. ;)

From The Shadow of the Wind to say, The Call of the Wild?

Edit: Or how about Perfume- The Story of a Murderer by Suskind?

Back