• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks Valkyrie

I've already read those two, but thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to list all of the books that I've read in an attempt to prevent buying duplicates, so at least that's another 2 for my list!

Try the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles by Susanna Gregory.

Set in 14th century Cambridge they are a very good read

1. A Plague On Both Your Houses (1996)
2. An Unholy Alliance (1996)
3. A Bone of Contention (1997)
4. A Deadly Brew (1998)
5. A Wicked Deed (1999)
6. A Masterly Murder (2000)
7. An Order for Death (2001)
8. A Summer of Discontent (2002)
9. A Killer in Winter (2003)
10. The Hand of Justice (2004)
11. The Mark of a Murderer (2005)
12. The Tarnished Chalice (2006)

Thanks Ozlenko, I've already looked for Crimson River at my local library but to no avail, so I shall have to order it from Amazon. I shall also do some research to find the french titles that he has written. I'll get back to you!

How about a danish author?
Leif Davidsen has written several books translated into many languages. He is not into medical stuff, more into spy and international crime stuff. Dunno if that could have an interest?

Thanks Flowerdk4, I'll have a look on the web and see what I can find out about him, although, I must admit I'm not normally into spy novels, nor anything remotely political.

Could you perhaps recommend a Danish author who writes more in the 'serial-killer genre'?

This may be a cliche, but I don't care: Agatha Christie has never let me down in the mystery department. Some of her novels are a little bit trite, but I am consistently surprised by the final outcome (I always end up with my fist to the sky grumbling, "Oh Aggie! You got me again!"). And you can't beat And Then There Were None (or the more appropriate, though non-PC, title Ten Little Indians) for purely creepy and weird. I was really quite surprised not to see any Agatha on your list.

For a true-crime type of book, try Serpentine, by Thomas Thompson. It's about Charles Sobraj, supposedly "one of the worst serial killers in Asian history."

Thanks Heidizzle, you're quite right, Agatha Christie always seems to have a surprise up her sleeve; I suppose the reason why she wasn't on my list is because I read all of her novels way back in my teens. I always preferred her Poirot books though.

I'll certainly look out for Serpentine; I've read a few true-crime books, although this was before I started recording what I've read so now I don't know what I've read, and what I haven't! This one definitely doesn't sound familiar though, so I'll give it a try.

You might like to try Peter Robinson.

I have read a number of his books and I have always found them a good read.

I particularly liked the book entitled Aftermath

enjoy

Out - Natsuo Kirino
All She Was Worth - Miyuki Miyabe
The Black Lizard - Rampo Edogawa
Inspector Imanishi Investigates - Seicho Matsumoto

denny said:
Thanks Flowerdk4, I'll have a look on the web and see what I can find out about him, although, I must admit I'm not normally into spy novels, nor anything remotely political.

Could you perhaps recommend a Danish author who writes more in the 'serial-killer genre'?

I cant really come up with a Danish author due to I am not reading those kinds of books myself. Leif Davidsen used to be a newsreporter stationed in Moscow, so he knows what he talking about when he writes about russia.

Maybe Liza Marklund is more your line? She is Swedish and in the novels there is a female reporter getting involved in different murders. Some of her books has been made into films in Sweden. www.lizamarklund.com

I must highly recommend the Swedish police procedurals by Henning Mankell. The Kurt Wallander series. I believe there are 8 translated into English, I have 7 with the last on the way. Actually its the first of the series I am missing. But the main character is marvelous.

Dean Koontz is a good thriller writer, but I would have to agree some of his novel are questionable. They can get very unrealistic although fun at the same time.

Also, I would try out a John Grisham novel, specifically his most recent, The Broker. It has beautiful descriptions of Italian scenery and, of course, very high paced storyline. If you don't like all the law novels, don't try reading Grisham. The Broker is probably least like all that law stuff.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the time you've taken in suggesting various novels for me to try. My TBR list is now huge, and I've just started to receive the first few books in from my library that have been suggested in this thread.

I shall include reviews in the Crime, thrillers and mystery forum as I finish them.

Please keep the suggestions coming though; I'm doing my best and reading as quickly as I can!

Steph - I have read a few Dean R Koontz books. I loved 'Intensity', but hated some of his other novels, as IMHO, they were just too far-fetched. 'Whispers' gave me nightmares because I have a problem with bugs, and since then, I've been loathe to read any more.

Stephen White books feature a psychologist (Dr. Alan Gregory and a sidekick detective friend) in an ongoing series. The characters are based in Colorado and if you do decide to read his wonderful mystery novels, try to start at the beginning.

I've loved everything I've read in this series!!

Try Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. They are mysteries that have strong grounding in real-life forensics stuff. The first one is The Coffin Dancer I believe.

This.

Though the last couple of Lincoln Rhymes has been a big disappointment to me especially The Twelfth Card.

Back