• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any suggestions please?

denny

I'm an avid reader of crime/mystery/thrillers, and am constantly looking for new authors to try.

Because I read so much, I find that my favorite authors just don't seem to write quickly enough to keep a good supply going. I'm not happy unless I've got about 6 unread books to wade through!

So far, I've read most of:

Keith Ablow
Michael Connelly
Robin Cook
Patricia Cornwell
Lisa Gardner
Tess Gerritsen
Kay Hooper
Shaun Hutson
Lisa Jackson
Iris Johanssen
Alex Kava
Patricia MacDonald
Michael Prescott
Kathy Reichs
Stuart Woods

I particularly enjoy books with an emphasis on psychology, forensics, medical, or legal themes, but, my main criteria in a good read is that, for me, horror has to be feasible, i.e. If I don't believe it could happen, it just doesn't push my buttons!

I'm not keen on Steven King (mainly for the above reasons), and have enjoyed some of Dean R Koontz's work (but only the feasible!).

Could anyone suggest any authors I haven't found yet, who write in a similar vein to those listed above?

I'd be most grateful for any help. Many thanks

worths trying

You'll definitely enjoy reading Jean-Christophe Grange... "Crimson Rivers" is one of the best thrillers I've read so far. He's got three more novels but I'm not sure whether they'd been translated to English.

Also "Alex Deleware"series of Jonathan Kellerman might be to your taste.

i am into the first of scottish author ian rankin's novels, " Knots and Crosses". So far it is pretty good.

I'd second the suggestion to look into Ian Rankin. I've read the first two and they're quite good.

I also want to suggest James Patterson to you. He currently has 11 books in his Alex Cross detective series, 5 books in his Women's Murder Club series and many more single books. So far I've read 3 of his books and they've definitely kept me interested. :)

OK, thanks for the suggestion; I'll look out for Crimson River. What is the original language of his other books? I can read in either English or French.

ozlenko said:
You'll definitely enjoy reading Jean-Christophe Grange... "Crimson Rivers" is one of the best thrillers I've read so far. He's got three more novels but I'm not sure whether they'd been translated to English.

Also "Alex Deleware"series of Jonathan Kellerman might be to your taste.

Thanks southpaw & tartan skirt. I've never read any Ian Rankin novels; I'll definitely have to check him out.

tartan skirt: Yes, I have read some of the Alex Cross (James Patterson) novels some time in the past. I obviously started reading James Patterson before I started to keep a list of everything I read, so I'd forgotten about him. I'll re-add him to my list as I'm sure he must have written some more since. Am I right in thinking he did 'Blood work' ?

denny said:
Am I right in thinking he did 'Blood work' ?

I don't think so. Google says someone called Michael Connelly wrote a book called that though. (He's one of the names on your list so thats probably who you were thinking of.)

Oh OK thanks! I've definitely read the Micheal Connelly one. I've obviously got two authors mixed up. The Alex Cross one I'm thinking of was the one that was made into a film with Morgan Freeman.

This is exactly why I'm now keeping a list of everything I read. I'm fed up with buying books only to find after the first few chapters that I've already read them!

denny said:
Oh OK thanks! I've definitely read the Micheal Connelly one. I've obviously got two authors mixed up. The Alex Cross one I'm thinking of was the one that was made into a film with Morgan Freeman.

Thats the one. Along Came A Spider is the first in the Alex Cross series with (currently) 10 sequels. :)

OK thanks. I've certainly not read 10 Alex Cross novels, so that should keep me busy for a while!

If you can read french then you should definately try Fred Vargas. She is a french historian who has written a series of crime novels. I've read two so far and really enjoyed them! 'Have mercy on us all' was the better of the two.

Try Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series. They are mysteries that have strong grounding in real-life forensics stuff. The first one is The Coffin Dancer I believe.

Thank you to everyone who's responded to this thread. I certainly have a large TBR list now! I shall be working my way through as many of your suggestions as I can.

Thanks avidfaftw, I've just had a look on the web, and you're right, his books do seem to be right up my alley!

Back