• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

anyone in to asian films?

I can't remember if I have posted in this thread or not. My favorite Asian films are:

Moon Child
House of Flying Daggers
Seven Samurai
Ran

...with the ghost of a dead girl haunting people until she can get peace yada yada yada.
Vengeance is a very common theme in Asian ghost flicks. Also the notion of some 'unfinished business'... usually it's either to get back at a hated person during the ghost's lifetime, or to get a message back to some loved one.

There was this belief (esp Chinese) that if someone commits suicide wearing red (red dress, red lipstick, generally decked out in full red regalia, etc etc) it is a guarantee that that person (generally female) will come back as a vengeful ghost. In movies, that's usually it's the chick coming out of the bad end of a relationship, or the husband/boyfriend has wrongfully accused her of something, and won't get back with her, etc etc.

Yeah, it's easy as I type it in now, but I remember a scene in some movie in my head as I write this of this girl, crying silently in a darkened room as she applies red lipstick in front of her dresser, gets up and climbs atop a stepladder and loops a noose hung from the ceiling around her neck. Of course, she is replete in a luxuriant red dress, with hair so long it seems custom made to freak the hell out me. She sobs some more, and off she goes!

Shudder.

ds

Just got back from seeing "Sway", and it completely knocked me flat. It starts out like a Japanese version of "Garden State" - westernized young successful photographer goes back to his traditional village for his mother's funeral and meets up with old friends and relatives. But soon one of them winds up dead and the whole thing turns into a brilliant drama about the conflict between new and old Japan, personified by two brothers. All of it beautifully shot and acted. I don't often weep at movies, but this time it was damn close. One of the best movies I've seen this year, and I definitely hope it gets some sort of wide distribution.

Sway sounds really good. Garden State was probably my favorite from 2005. I picked up Ikiru today and will watch tomorrow night. I've never seen Ran but love the Seven Samurai.

The Promise is apparently the most expensive Chinese movie ever made. And it certainly looks like it; absolutely beautiful visuals, amazing special FX, colours and images and slo-mo action scenes that will make your eyes melt.

A pity they couldn't spend a few yuans on a script. What plot there is can best be described as "a bunch of stuff happens". There is no drama, no characters, no life. The movie completely ignores even the slightest attempts at realism, which is fine with me - I can buy that in this fantasy world, people can fly and run several thousand miles per hour and talk to godesses and whatnot. But even the wildest fantasy world needs realistic characters; The Promise just has a bunch of cardboard figures standing around making ludicrous speeches until it's time for the next swordfight, with no motivation as to why they do anything, no conflict, no apparent thought processes at all. The soundtrack seems to be a constant loop of the most dramatic pieces from LOTR, repeated every 2 minutes, and the "plot twists" can be spotted 30 minutes in advance.

If you're impressed by flashy visuals, you'll be impressed by this. But there is nothing underneath that beautiful shell; just smoke and mirrors.

2/5.

I watched "The White Dragon" over the weekend. It was... strange. The DVD case said that it was along the same vein as "House of Flying Daggers" for stunning visuals, or something like that. However, I feel compelled to disagree. I didn't quite get the vibe that it was trying to accomplish beautiful camera shots. In all honesty the only thing this film has going for it is the comedy, and the timeless irony of enemies falling in love.

I also got the feeling like I was watching a live action anime at times.

The Host. Interesting movie. I'd like to say that this does for Godzilla what Shaun of the Dead did for Dawn of the Dead - ie. a respectful genre parody that sends up every cliché yet still works as a horror/thriller in its own right. But I'm not sure that would be fair, because I think they're going for something different here. Sure it's got comedy - lots of it, even - and elements of horror, but at heart it really is quite a touching family drama, only set in a monster movie. (Which I suppose could be said for SOTD too, but...) And the monster is relatively tiny, which I like - there are hints of social satire (that I thought were a bit understated), making society the Big Bad. It didn't really need to be a full 2 hours (few movies do, really) but apart from that and the occasional bit where the plot drifts a little, I liked it a lot. 4/5.

I've recently discovered the Asian horror genre! Anyone else see any of these dark films?? Audition is particuarly eery. Am waiting for the English version of that!

Watched the Korean horror film, Bloody Reunion. The original Korean title translated to To Sir, With Love. It was ok, I liked the giallo elements in it and it came with the obligatory twist ending and also had plenty of gore.

I am a huge fan of Asian horror. My favorite Asian horror film is A Tale Of Two Sisters. Also, other classics:

Audition
Ebola Syndrome
Tell Me Something
Whispering Corridors
Ju Rei
Gozu
Wishing Stairs

I still prefer Italian horror, but Asian is right up there.

Totally agree with the Audition recommendation. Unusual film based on the story by Ryu Murakami – I assumed he directed it too but maybe not.

I saw a terrific Hong Kong film called Dumplings (Gaau ji) with Ling Bai. The squeamish should probably avoid this one, but it has a strong message about the desire to maintain youth and beauty at any cost.

Akira anyone? I love this animation and haven’t seen it in years. Ghost in the Shell and Perfect Blue too.

Battle Royale – a big yay.

I liked the fancy ones like Crouching Tiger, Hero.
Lady Vengeance and Old Boy were quite compelling.

Good old Jackie Chan movies have their place too – the guy’s great at what he does.

Totally agree with the Audition recommendation. Unusual film based on the story by Ryu Murakami – I assumed he directed it too but maybe not.
It was directed by Takeshi Miike, his best movie I think. Murakami did direct Topazu, aka Tokyo Decadence.

Watched:

The Host ~ South Korea's monster movie which was a huge hit over there. It was ok, not as good as I'd heard.

Curse of the Golden Flower ~ Not as good as Zhang's Hero or House of Flying Daggers, but still worth a look. It's got some incredible eye candy in it, the colors are almost blinding in this one. Oh and Gong Li is still hot, even if all she does is pretty much weep through the entire movie.

Watched two new Korean movies last week:

Breath is the new movie from Kim Ki-duk. Having only seen The Isle and Bad Guy before, this was a bit of a change of pace for me; not nearly as violent as those two, but still extremely beautifully shot (all bleak, wintry colours, only to suddenly erupt in cascades of colours in key scenes...). As with his previous movies, I honestly can't figure out if he's a brutal misogynist or a very sneaky feminist; while his main female character here isn't quite as shat-upon as the ones in the two previous Kim movies I've seen, she's still quiet, head eternally bowed towards the ground when her husband's around. No wonder she relates to a prisoner on death row and starts visiting him in secret. A beautiful movie, and not as dark as the others, but seems a bit unclear of what it's trying to say. 3/5.

I'm A Cyborg, But That's OK: Park Chan-wook is obviously a talented guy. First he made JSA, then he made the vengeance trilogy of Sympathy for Mr Vengeance/Oldboy/Lady Vengeance, and now he's made a black comedy about a mentally unstable girl who thinks she's a Terminator. Any movie set in a mental hospital is bound to bring about comparisons to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but personally I thought it reminded me more of David Cronenberg's ideas and Terry Gilliam's wonderfully twisted Tideland. If you're expecting another Oldboy, you'll probably have to wait for a while; it seems Park is working through the genres, I'm sure he'll come full circle in a few decades. But while this occasionally gets a little too quirky for its own good and doesn't quite know when to wrap up, it's still a very enjoyable and rather moving comedy. 3+/5

You are missing the gems.

Where is Old Boy? Have you seen Old Boy?

Old Boy
Brotherhood of War (better than Saving Private Ryan)
Memories of a Murder (the same director/writer as The Host--stomps any murder/myster/thriller I have ever seen in the U.S.)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
TIME (truly disturbing, about the repercussions of cosmetic surgery)
OASIS
The Tale of 2 Sister (the most creepiest horror movie you'll lay your eyes on; it's as if you stepped into Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House)
Lady Vengeance (the last of the Revenge triology)

You are missing the gems.

I'm sorry, who is? Most - possibly all, but I can't be arsed to read the whole thread right now - of those movies have been mentioned frequently in this thread. Personally, I've seen all of them except 2 (I'll have to check out Time). In fact, I mentioned several of the movies you list in my post. So what's your point? :confused:

Just watched Satoshi Kon's Paprika, a great meditation on dreams and the subconscious. I think Kon is the best anime director working today. Some incredible eye candy in this one.

Back