• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

anyone in to asian films?

Cartoons can be films as well you know. I'd say any cartoon about 90 minutes long is a film.

Is Toy Story, The Jungle Book or The Incredibles a film? What about Waking Life or the upcoming A Scanner Darkly both directed by Richard Linklater starring Ethan Hawke in the former and Keanu Reeves in the latter but both animated?

Animation or cartoons can be watched by adults as well. Like I said Spirited Away is moving, it's funny and fantastic and a damn site better than a lot of `real' films.

I watched A Tale of Two Sisters the other nite and thought it was the best Asian horror film I'd seen since Audition. It had me completely confused up until the very end. It also made my jump twice, which I don't usually do too often.

If we're talking anime, I would recommend any film by Satoshi Kon(Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers). Miyazaki is the king, though, and I loved Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. I can't wait for Howl's Moving Castle to hit dvd. This week I'm going to rent Otomo's Steamboy, his first full length anime since Akira.

Has anybody seen Avalon? It is a live action film from the director of Ghost in the Shell. It was pretty good as well.

Just watched Flower and Snake(2003), courtesy of Netflix. This is the second film version of the classic novel by Oniroku Dan. Even though it was the edited version it was still pretty explicit.

I finished House of Flying Daggers, and while it was a beautiful flick, it wasn't very good plot-wise IMHO and Andy Lau is the wrong chap to play a double agent whose
romantic rival
is a guy almost half his age (ok, Kaneshiro is not half Andy's age, but you get the point).

This is the first Zhang Ziyi flick in which I thought she was actually quite good looking.

ds

I idolize Zhang Ziyi, but films... I would say I seldom watch them, accept for a few Korean shows and some local films...

even if I've watched some of them, will forget about the titles... :eek:

Hmm... like 'Money No Enough' and 'I Not Stupid'? Unfortunately I don't really understand Hokkien, so I miss a lot of the good stuff.

ds

I live in Asia, so I get to see a lot of asian movies...

Here are some I would recommend:

Double Vision (Taiwan) fun, supernatural thriller
Infernal Affairs I & II (III was only OK) - The Asian Godfather
Casshern - more ideas than anything Hollywood sci-fi has to offer
The Cup - beautifully charming Tibetan football movie

I'll post more when my brain starts working again...

I've just come across 2046 by Wang Kar Wai and was totally enthralled! Everything about it just blew me away and I have now seen it twice. A third time is not yet impossible. It is on my list of one of the greatest films I have ever seen, right alongside Fellini's La Dolce Vita of long ago (6 times!). I realize this is just a gush and not a very informative review, but I just couldn't resist getting something down. Maybe more later, when I get my reactions sorted out and more organized.
Peder

Raise the Red Lantern is a beautiful, beautiful movie.

But one of my all time favourites that I didn't see mentioned was City on Fire with Chow Yun Fat. The film that inspired Tarantinos Reservoir Dogs.

I think I read somewhere that Chow Yun Fat was going to be appearing in pirates of the carribean 3.

Damo

This is such a beautiful movie series. I feel in love with this movie. Although I'm not such a fan of Korean movies. I'd said this one is a must see. The fighting scenes aren't that great but the story line is awesome....
Gotta see!!!
Waiting for "Duelist" to be release in America....Not til 2006...

I looooove asian films... i just loved "In the mood for love" and its sequel "2046".
I also loved " Hero" ... visually it's one of the most beautyful films i have ever seen... also "House of flying daggers".
Another film i really liked is "L'odheur du papaye verte" or the smell of green papaya the movie only has 20 spoken lines at most but ... well i loved it.

I saw the trailer for Memoirs of a Geisha a couple of weeks ago on tv and it looked great. I'm definitely gonna see that one as I liked the book quite a bit.

lenny nero said:
I saw the trailer for Memoirs of a Geisha a couple of weeks ago on tv and it looked great. I'm definitely gonna see that one as I liked the book quite a bit.
Do you have any idea when the movie is coming out?

Back