• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone into old cars or trucks?

Bad cellphone pic, but the wheels in question:

aimg7.imageshack.us_img7_3993_imag0128mo.jpg

Also, as of last evening I now have four working windows! Small victories...

No, it is a single stage paint. I prefer to powder coat everything I can, but this wheel is a three piece composite with a plastic center cap that isn't in the picture. There is no way to powder the aluminum cover and then paint the plastic cap and get a good match.

Thanks. It is good to finally see something fun and attractive coming out of this project.

I am packing off the Brembos this weekend to a fellow enthusiast who is going to rebuild them for me. I am capable of the mechanical overhaul, but he fancies himself a powdercoating artist and I want to see just how pretty he can make them.

Furreal. That's awesome! More than I'm getting done on my Plymouth. :(

It's been 110º out - I'm staying indoors lately.

This woman is. I think I love her.

Most classic car owners are accustomed to the unusual looks other motorists cast toward their relics on the road. But when Margaret Dunning is behind the wheel of her 1930 Packard 740 Roadster, she draws more attention than her vehicle.

Dunning, age 102, may be one of a small handful of classic-car drivers who can lay claim to the fact they're older than their vehicles.

She was born in 1910, and lives in Plymouth, Michigan, twenty years before her beloved Packard. She's been driving since she was 8 years old, and officially received her license at 12, after her father died. In an appearance at the Concours d' Elegance last month, Dunning recounted her start as an automotive aficionado.

"I'm just a farm girl, and my dad had a lot of machinery, and I adored my dad," she said. "I became familiar with the tools, because the minute I said I didn't know what I was looking for, he'd say, 'Go back to the house.'"

She owns several classic vehicles. In addition to the Packard, she includes a '66 Cadillac DeVille, a '75 Cadillac Eldorado convertible and a 1931 Model A in her collection. The one she still drives the most? Her everyday car, an '03 Cadillac DeVille. Occasionally, she still changes her own oil.

"Before old age overtook me, I could scoot under the car very nicely," she said.

Two Classics, One Car.mp4 - YouTube

I don't do Chevies , not that I haven't , just that I've windowed enough small block Chebies to fill a barn , both the Mopar and Ford small blocks are a better bas with a more favorable rod ratio and witnin reason better heads.

Currently.....'65 Belvedere post car , mini-tubbed and subframed , 505 inch 13 to 1 wedge , Barton prepped B1 heads , sheet metal intake with 1150 crm Barry Grant built Dominator , custom Barton roller cam ( .658 lift intake ,.670 left exhaust 312 duration) , transbraked Lenco ( yes you heard that right) , narrowed 9 inch Ford unit with lockers and 4.88s , 8.60s with a 1.32 60 foot on slicks 9.teens and .20s on street legal rubber ( usually M and H s or Hoosiers , I detest M/Ts) , built as a money car , somewhat of a sleeper to those who don't know what they're looking at and the Pro Street paint job crowd.

'68 Dart , stoked and poked small block , heavily modded Edelbrock heads , 76 mm garret unit at 16 lbs of boost , adapted T-56 six speed , narrowed 9 inch with 4.30s ( these go to 2.90s for El Mirage and The Flats , a custom Richmond 3.30 setup for the Texas Mile ( Goliad) , definite sleeper 10.20s all day in street trim off the squeeze deep 9s sprayed with a 150 first stage and 100 squeeze on the second stage.

Fox body 'stang going together for a pure Flats car DOHC Cobra motor at 331 inchs , twin 62mm turbos and a whole slew of other goodies mostly from DSS , went 203 and change on a single turbo setup prior to teardown and rebuild , goal is in the 225-230 range.

And a shop full of scoots both dirt and street ranging from the KDX2oo up to an '03 'Busa currently on 18 lbs and a heavily modified '04 GSXR1000 thats 178 horses to the ground normally aspirated.

Yes I'm a bit of a gearhead , cash and house poor but ride rich.

Folks in this town have learned pretty much not to choose off the kinda grey haired guy in the rumbling or whistling Mopars.

The old cars didn't have the reliability we have today, but I do miss the days when I could look under the hood and recognize everything on site.

The old cars didn't have the reliability we have today, but I do miss the days when I could look under the hood and recognize everything on site.

are you kidding me? bring back the old days when obsolescence wasn't built in!

I adore cars!

citroen cx

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_b_b9_Citroen_CX_d72143fae10c2495dec36998eba353fb.jpg

austin 1800

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_thumb_8_82_Austin_18001882d0c03449ba984801d1aa78ef3ea1.jpg
jaguar xj6 in british racing green - the ONLY colour for a jag

astatic.ddmcdn.com_gif_1973_79_jaguar_xj6_xj12_series_ii.jpg

Gorgeous Jag! Yes on British Racing Green! Def!

My Uncle that died in 1943 had a 1940 Mercury convertible. It was finally falling apart in the garage, so my Aunt gave it to someone that restored it. Looked fantastic. The only gripe my Aunt had was he didn't replicate the Sky Blue color, he painted it a beautiful shade of maroon. Oh well. :)

I know he shows it on occasion, but I haven't seen it in years. He brought it around to the house after he restored it. Beautiful job.

are you kidding me? bring back the old days when obsolescence wasn't built in!

I adore cars!

Planned obsolescence was the business model used by automobile manufacturers of the era. The old cars where not nearly as reliable. It wasn't unusual for a car to rust out in a few short years.

I do miss having room to work under the hood.

Think of all the adjustment/maintenance checks you had to do back then that you don't have to do now or don't have to do with the same frequency.

Carb adjustments
Choke
replacing points, rotor & distributor cap
checking the timing
fan belts replacements
Spark plug wires
fuel filter cleaning/replacement

I miss the old cars, too. Cars look so much alike now. It used to be that you could identify the make, model and approx year of almost every car in any parking lot in the city on site.

amemimage.cardomain.com_ride_images_3_279_3241_25696620022_large.jpg

I had one of these at one time and would like to own again if I could find one worth restoring. I think the size of the hood was measured in acreage.

Think of all the adjustment/maintenance checks you had to do back then that you don't have to do now or don't have to do with the same frequency.

Carb adjustments
Choke
replacing points, rotor & distributor cap
checking the timing
fan belts replacements
Spark plug wires
fuel filter cleaning/replacement

BUT , have you attempted to work on a modern car lately? Every one of the items above the individual with mere cursory knowledge can accomplish quite easily , not so much nowadays.

To say nothing of fuel pumps you have to drop the tank to get to , the various smog systems tied into the CPU etc.etc.etc.

And I would dispute that " rust out in a few years" , sorry but I live where they still use salt on the roads in winter , 3-5 year old cars with body rot and rust are quite common here.

As an example of reliability , I put better than 400k on a 225 inch slant six with nothing more than routine maintenance.

I will agree vociferously as regards the plan for the increasingly obsolete that started in the early to mid '70s and ran through the early '90s , witness the atrocious series of Chevy small blocks with phenolic resin timing gears , cams that went flat at 30k miles , valves that would spit a head into the combustion chamber at anything over 4500 rpm , computers with no backup circuit , nightmare distributors that would lose the hall effect sensor , main bearings our of silly putty and connectings of taffy.

And though I'm rather a Mopar nut , don't even get me started on the "disposable" offerings from Chrysler , including the Caravan.

Back