• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are Christians book in?

There seem to be more on the shelves today than at any time before...my sister loves to read the Amish books. I'd say you have as good a chance as any!

I believe yes, they are still popular right now. I have friends who are very fond of reading christian books as stress reliever.

Is Christian the same as religious, as far as publishers are concerned?

I've had a lot of rejections for a 'religious' short story, even though a few of the editors have replied and said they personally liked the story, I just can't find a place for it!

Well, I just started sending a novel with religious aspects on it to agents and publishers. When I get the first responses, I'll tell you.

I hope they are in, so I can get this published.

Is Christian the same as religious, as far as publishers are concerned?

I've had a lot of rejections for a 'religious' short story, even though a few of the editors have replied and said they personally liked the story, I just can't find a place for it!

It would depend on the publisher. Word, Thomas Nelson, and Zondervan, for instance, are strictly Christian publishers, and would not be interested in material from a different religious worldview.

As was previously mentioned, there _is_ a niche for Christian fiction, but it is, I'm afraid, a very small one. Because it's a small market, it means an author's manuscript will have to be extremely good, and likely have some particular thing that really makes it stand out from the crowd. As fickle as the regular publishing world is, the niche publishing areas have to be even more picky about what they can and can't publish these days.

If you can't find a Christian publisher/agency, you might consider "mainstreaming" your manuscript a touch and seeing if you can cross over into other fiction markets.

In any case, perseverance is key.

Also, though I realize this isn't what you asked about, some of the other comments have actually nearly hit the nail on the head. What are Christian spec fic publishers looking for these days? Amish vampires. Yep. Really. :)

Yes, there is a market for Christian fiction, but it's smaller - therefore less profitable than mainstream - so it's hard to break into. General publishing advice from most books on getting published say refine the work then refine it again, then go to writing conferences and network b/c unfortunately, in this world, it's really who you know.
I personally didn't like The Shack, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good, just that it didn't appeal to me.

Back