• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are You A Slacker?

I don't see reading as some sort of job (well, apart from when I'm reviewing a book professionally, that is).

It is easy to be a slacker when it comes to reading stuff for work. I tend to pay far less attention to nuance and detail with work-related reading: I just scan it, get the gist of it and move on.

When ever I pick up a potential book-for-pleasure, I first scan a few pages to see if the style and tone appeal. In fact, it might be--for me--that the qualitiy of writing is more important than the subject matter. Choosing books on the basis of the composition of the writing instead of the topic has led me down many a path otherwise not taken.

As for "slacker" being derogatory, I don't know. Sometimes I think people need to just slow down and relax. Productivity is getting to be way too high as it is.

Oh, and by the way, I am a total slacker when it comes to books. Honestly, I do not like that fact for I see it as a bad habit- but that's just me. I wish I had a remedy for it. Ooh well. :cool:

I definitely agree with you Aqua. I feel like other then when I am on the bus (or waiting for the bus) I don't read too much. Sometimes I just laze infront of the TV after work rather than read. I also wish their was a remedy for it, but I do usually try and read before bed, when my significant other isn't trying to sleep :p, and I find that it helps me get more reading done...but I need to start reading earlier in the night because I always end up thinking to myself "just one more chapter" and then 3-4 chapters later I have to make myself go to bed lol!

For how long have you taken a vacation from your writing both mentally and physically?

If technical writing counts as writing, then between the ages of birth and 7 or 8; otherwise, my last English class was in 1995, so 15 years.

I wouldn't consider myself a slacker when it comes to books. I read during my hour bus rides to work and back! I hate sitting on the bus, but it provides great reading time. I also usually read on my lunch break.

I also always have a book with me!

If I am really into the book I will read it non stop every day until I finish it. Otherwise I might read it every few days for only 15mins to a hour those days. It really just depends on how into the book I a m. When I am transitioning from one book to another it sometimes takes me a few days to a week.

I slack when I feel the stress becoming overwhelming. I have to shut down and take a moment to gather myself. I'm no good to the kids when I'm stressed.

I'm in a reader's block...I need help. Can't focus on shit. Help!

Ritalin.

Seriously though, Stewart gave me some good advice about this once. He said go find something easy and engaging to read and read that. So, put down whatever you're having trouble getting through and read something fun.

An easier book? Come now, Pontiac, are you a man or a mouse? Don't let paper and ink get the better of you.
In a sentence, can you explain why Cuban cigars are so special?

Back