• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you ready for the end of the world?

What will be said when the protons collide?

• Total voters
That petition is a great way to find all the stupid people in the world and prevent them from adding to the gene pool.

They can also be identified as ownig trialers with foodstuffs and other supplies left over from the Y2k thing.:lol:

Shush now..pay no attention to those buckets of wheat in the basement:whistling:

And don't forget that SPAM stock rose exponentially.:whistling::lol:

Reminds me of playing in my grandparent's basement and finding caned goods from the Truman administration. It's amazing that they prepared so well for disaster and nuclear fallout. Personally, I would've rather watched the mushroom clouds like CDA would.:cool:

I can't wait for them to get that LHC fixed and working again. Especially, I can't wait to see if it discovers any new particles and, if not, whether the particle physicists are ready for the end of their world yet.

Listening to Dr (Prof?) Brian Cox on the Radio today explaining what was happening.

Apparently, they won't be powering up the machine again until next year because they go to maintenance during the winter to avoid big electricity bills!

I have an image of my father wandering around the ring turning off magnets to save power.

Electricity is cheaper during the Spring and Fall than the Winter and Summer.

With a bit of poetic licence, the good doctor said they were on a Electric-7 tariff (a UK off-peak tariff - possibly now defunct).

It was I thought an amusing image that the system failed because someone was wandering the corridors turning off switches to save on electricity - is it just in my family that people do this?

The photos are amazing. I didn't have the chance to read much about the topic, but why are skeptic guys. Professionals are building this, and they have done smaller versions of it, right?

why are skeptic guys. Professionals are building this, and they have done smaller versions of it, right?

I suppose any big technological advance always brings a certain number of people who think it means the end of decency/prosperity/the world. Part of it is probably a genuine - though often uninformed - fear that something will go very wrong; after all, as the saying goes, professionals built the Titanic. And then there's always the people who simply think there are some things we're not "supposed" to know and that more knowledge can be harmful in itself. I'm sure there were people making similar arguments against the first caveman to build a fireplace. ;)

I keep coming back to this Douglas Adams quote:
There’s always a moment when you start to fall out of love, whether it’s with a person or an idea or a cause, even if it’s one you only narrate to yourself years after the event: a tiny thing, a wrong word, a false note, which means that things can never be quite the same again. For me it was hearing a stand-up comedian make the following observation. “These scientists eh? They’re so stupid! You know those black box flight recorders they put on aeroplanes? And you know they’re meant to be indestructible? It’s always the thing that doesn’t get smashed? So why don’t they make the planes out of the same stuff?” The audience roared with laughter at how stupid scientists were, how they couldn’t think their way out of a paper bag, but I sat feeling uncomfortable. Was I just being pedantic to feel that the joke didn’t really work because flight recorders are made out of titanium and that if you made planes out of titanium rather than aluminium they’d be far too heavy to get off the ground in the first place? (…) There was no way of deconstructing the joke (if you think this is obsessive behaviour you should try living with it) that didn’t rely on the teller and the audience complacently conspiring together to jeer at someone who knew more than they did. It sent a chill down my spine and still does. I felt betrayed by comedy in the same way that gangsta rap now makes me feel betrayed by rock music.

Nice to see you back, btw!

EDIT: Just to clarify - scepticism is a good thing, obviously. But it should be informed.

Back