• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arthur Golden: Memoirs Of A Geisha

well, i know people of my age are at different reading levels, but my point is that a 10 yar old probably can't read dostoevsky, let alone really understand it well. but thanks, i'll try it. when my library gets a copy of it, haha.

By all means read it! You'll find it to be a very endearing love story when you are finally done, I think.
Peder

You're mature enough to read the Poisonwood Bible at 14 so I wouldn't see a problem for reading Memoirs. I loved the book and so anxious to see the movie!

I agree that it's a well-written book with many details to this aspect of Japanese culture, but after I read the book I didn't like the story of it at all. I can't be sure what exactly about it doesn't strike my fancy. Maybe it's the whole sold-into-slavery bit.

Everyone seeks to tell me that a movie was coming out because they know I like Japan, but I could care less about seeing it. Only if there was absolutely nothing else of interest to watch.

Well, if it's a well-written book set authenically in Japan you want, try reading someone Japanese, like Murakami. He's brilliant, amusing, and available. I also love Banana Yoshimoto.

If you just want something Asian, Wild Swans is a complex and complete memoir of Maoist China from a woman's perspective. To my mind, Memoirs of a Geisha is fake-Asian, in that it's a stylized imagined first-person narrative by someone who has no real experience of that world. There are many things wrong with Memoirs of a Geisha that go beyond literary criticism or reality vs. fiction. It would probably be a good idea to read an authentic Japanese writer in translation before accepting Memoirs as 'literature.'

ok, thanks everyone! i'll try it. and i usually watch the adaptation of the book unless i hear that it's REALLY bad(which tends to happen a lot)

Something that doesn't obsess about losing virginity through eels and caves? I'm there.

I need to finish The Wild Swans. I started reading that when classes started and never got to finish it.

yeah read it, im reading it now. theres some graphic stuff, but nothing that would be kept on high bookshelves. otherwise its a really great book about this weird culture of 'geisha'.

Back