• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arthur Golden: Memoirs Of A Geisha

nelle

Hi everyone! I haven't quite finished this book (about 50 pgs to go) but I am dying to discuss it. Why is Sayuri so afraid to have Nobu as her danna? She keeps saying that he is probably her destiny but at the same time still holds out hope for the Chairman. I don't understand it. Does she fear Nobu because of his physical defects? I am starting to think she is just a big tease (even though she really has little control over her life). If you can do it without giving away the ending (sorry!) please let me know your opinions on how Sayuri acts and feels towards Nobu. I don't understand her. I have just finished the part where she brings the piece of concrete back to Nobu, so he can replace it with a jewel and become her danna (possibly). :confused:

Well, only started reading this book last night. I'm just 5 or 6 chapters in, hence I can't say I've gotten to the meat of the book yet. Reads well so far, though the writer going through the nuances of putting on a kimono did have me going through those pages on autopilot (I guess it does add to authenticity but it's something I could have done without).

At this stage, I'm wondering where all this is going to go.

It has been a few years since I read this but I think it is because she knows that if she does accept Nobu as her Danna, she can never have a relationship with the Chairman. I guess it is difficult for her to accept that her dream of being with the Chairman is over - even if it is was unlikely in the first place.

My memory is very vague on this. Didn't she see the Chairman when she was a child and he did something that won her over? Bought her an ice cream or something. Basically he did something nice, which from where she was at that time (separated from her family, bullied by that older geisha, thoroughly miserable in every way) was a huge deal. So she built him up in her head to be this great guy. Then, years later she meets him again, only he wants to set her up with his ugly mate. Meanwhile she's being touted as this great and beautiful geisha, so she's a bit more vain than she used to be, and the prospect of shagging Nobu for the rest of her days isn't exactly appealing. Especially if, while she's doing that, her dumpy mate is getting to shag her ideal man (the Chairman).

So, I think her actions were based on her own vanity 'I'm too pretty and talented to be wasted on Nobu. Let him have my chubby friend instead.' and jealousy over the perceived relationship the Chairman was having with the other geisha (if I'm remembering that bit right). She does do some mean-spirited things, and when we act like that (and we all have) it normally does come down to jealousy.

And that's as much as I can say without ruining the end of the book. As much as I can remember of it anyway.

She's a difficult character to like at times, definitely. But she's kept at it despite being dealt a raw deal, and you have to respect that. Holding on to the dream of capturing the chairman's heart is like holding on to the last little bit of her childhood innocence, I think.

Ok

I am starting to see it now. I think you are right Lyra, if she accepts Nobu, she can never have the Chairman. I have read a little more and things are clearer. I am sorry if this thread is spoiling the book for you Fluffy! I don't understand the "spoiler" rules here yet (i'm new). I agree with you too Litany, about her vanity and her innocence. Its almost as if she goes though all these life changes but never really grows up. I only have about 8 pages left (i'm at work so i can't finish it just yet, but I will tonight!). Don't give up Fluffy, I had a hard time with the book in the beginning. There is so much cruelty I couldn't stand it. But all in all it has kept my attention and I'm glad I stuck with it. Thanks everyone! :)

I am sorry if this thread is spoiling the book for you Fluffy!

Don't worry, it's not (besides I finished it this morning).

Is it just me or did the book just wrap up a bit too quickly? After all that effort to flesh out the characters etc, the final few chapters seemed a bit too rushed. For example
That stuff with Pumpkin seemed to come out of the blue, which made me realise that as a character, Pumpkin hadn't been fleshed out that much with regards to her motivations and feelings. Granted it could have just been that Sayuro never thought about her much, so why include her in the tale, but still... Then again, it may make sense in a Japanese honour kind of way (as I've still not quite come to grips with that way of thinking.

Why is Sayuri so afraid to have Nobu as her danna?
That's what I was wondering. She did seem a bit two faced about it to me. The author did sort of explain it, but I'm still not totally convinced to be honest.

Still overall, a pretty good read that also kept my attention.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The beginning built everything up so high, and then the last chapter just zoomed by. Three quarters of the book was the first 30 years of her life and then the last quarter was the rest. It was very uneven. I guess it is that way because she spent her life trying to be with the Chairman (once she met him) so when she finally got him, the rest was unremarkable. Sort of like a fairytale ending "happily ever after" when the main characters get married at the end, even though that should be the beginning of the story (imho). It was anticlimatic. :(

What did you think of the character progression?

I liked the character of Sayuro in her infancy, but got the impression the longer she spent as a geisha, the more the life consumed her. I'm not entirely sure if I like the butterfly that emerged from the cocoon.
The alienation of Nobu, the driving a wedge between the chairman and one of his closest friends, the constant merciless hounding of Hatsumomo (sp?) beyond the point of no return
. She started off innocent, though on the inside she seems to be quite a serpent.

The thing that I enjoyed about this book, as well as the very well told life (and love) story was the insight it gave me into Japan and the way of life during the time. Being fairly clueless about Japanese history, I thought it was fascinating and truly transported me into a different world (as all good books should).

I completely agree about the ending though - it kind of spoiled the book for me as it did seem so rushed. It could have really made that book a real classic for me if it had had as strong an ending as it had build up.

Someone recommended this to me before, I forgot who... I've only ever read one chapter from it and I want to buy it real bad!

But in the mean time I have to finish House of the Spirits (I never finished the last chapter, oof) and the LOTR! Dammit, I always start over again and again! >=(

Stella, I am reading House of spirits Right now! What do you think of it? I think it's a really wonderful book :)

Also, I have Memoirs of a Geisha on my book shelf waiting to be read! You are right, DONT read the above posts. I made that mistake and they gave quite a lot away when they should have used spoilers :mad:

Regards
SillyWabbit

House of the Spirits is fantastic!

Although I haven't finished the few last chapters yet, I always have that habit :(

And Memoirs of a Geisha, in my opinion, is very poetic in nature. I've just started! And I'm already in love with the book :)

Spoilers! Damn those! Haha

PS. Wow, we're actually talking about books :D hooray for us!!!

Well... you know it had to happen at some point :D

Yeah, House of Spirits is wonderful! I will, for sure, get some other stuff by that author! I like the look of Eva Luna by her.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Haha! Sometimes I feel bad about myself that I just come on here and mess things up without even posting something about books :( But don't get me wrong, I love reading :)

What chapter are you in right now? By far which character do you like? =)
And I remember my teacher saying long ago that Eva Luna was also good. So I think I'll read that one also. =D

Ummm, I think chapter 7 - Revenge.
Blanca and Clara have gone home after her husband slapped her. It's where Blanca has given birth to the baby from Tecero Garcia. Clara's husband has forced Blanca to marry the French guy!!!

My fav character is Clara :) I think she is great character and really strong, wise and interesting. I liked a lot when she got slapped and held her head up and walked out of the room. Then she left and never spoke to him again.

What's your fav character?

Regards
SillyWabbit

lol! I thought it was really funny when her teeth fell out :eek: and the way she left Esteban was really classy :D

Clara's my favorite too :) But her character really gets to me when she tries to make objects move, haha!

Oooh I've read that chapter already... tell me when you've finished the book! The reason I haven't read the last few chapters is that I got bored with the storyline! I feel so bad saying that!

SillyWabbit said:
Ummm, I think chapter 7 - Revenge.
Blanca and Clara have gone home after her husband slapped her. It's where Blanca has given birth to the baby from Tecero Garcia. Clara's husband has forced Blanca to marry the French guy!!!

My fav character is Clara :) I think she is great character and really strong, wise and interesting. I liked a lot when she got slapped and held her head up and walked out of the room. Then she left and never spoke to him again.

What's your fav character?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Erm, shouldn't you start a separate topic Re: House of Spirits? It's getting confusing as to what book this thread's discussing.

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha just yesterday and although the story was pretty good, it all didn't seem to fit. :confused:
First of all I didn't like Sayuri very much. She is such a weak character and talks all the time about her being so pretty, her being so pretty and her being so pretty (it made me nearly puke). She behaves like a puppet and doesn't seem to have an own will. She does what she is told all the time and this annoyed me to a point where I wanted to yell at her. 'Cause it isn't impossible to do something Mother or her Big Sister contradict => Hatsu... did it all the time.
When she finally decided to become a Geisha I thought this would be a changing point in the story but it wasn't. Sayuri didn't accomplish one thing on her own and obviously she didn't do a lot of thinking about being a geisha. The explicit sex details weren't necessary at all and I don't know what they really have to do with the whole story. There just is no point in them being there. The other characters were quite poorly developed and I think the only reason for Hats... being such a bad character is that it made look Sayuri good.
All this kimono descriptions made me crazy. I tried to imagine what they did with all the parts but I couldn't. I would have apreciated just one graphic to get a concept of this thing. The end was rushed and Sayuri changed a lot in the last chapter(s) to make it all happen that way, but it seemed forced. Furthermore I don't get what problem she had with Sobu being her danna?!
I would give it 3 points out of 5 because it made me think so much.

Back