• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I would contradict. Whereas it's impossible to counts grains of sand, somebody might have counted particular words during their day off...
Nevertheless, I have another question- which sex commits crime more often in Agatha Christie's books- men or women?

Silly Wabbit:

Have you ever danced in the pale moonlight?

Yes. In the moonlight, that is. Don't exactly know when I should classify moonlight as 'pale'.

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Unsophisticated persons are generally inclined to answer with something like "half a clap," which signifies that they have not yet achieved Buddha nature. After several years of dedicated meditating, however, they learn the correct response, which is to face the questioner, assume an appropriate Buddhist posture, and without a word thrust one hand forward.

If a mime dies in a forest, will anybody care?

I certainly won't. We can be sure about the fact that he won't make a sound, though, whether someone is around to hear it or not.

What if God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us? trying to find his way back home?

Then he'd be me. Maybe he is me. Maybe not, though.

What is meaning of life?

Oddly enough, cheese is (don't be so silly, Igkuk. 42 is fiction, you strange little man!)

NEXT!

Cheers, Martin :D

What is the sound of one hand clapping?
I beg to differ with you on this one Martin, but the sound of one hand clapping is "CL" since it is the collision with another hand that produces the "AP".

Beatrycze:

I agree with you on the 'War and Peace' thingy, but I still don't think there's anyone out there that knows this, so neither do I.

Which sex commits crime more often in Agatha Christie's books- men or women?

Christie's inclusion of a broad variety of women as murderers makes me think that women would be the correct answer.

NEXT!

Igkuk:

In response to your remark considering the sound of a one-hand-clap being 'cl' (which I categorise as 'half a clap'), I refer you to my answer, which I will repeat here.

Unsophisticated persons are generally inclined to answer with something like "half a clap," which signifies that they have not yet achieved Buddha nature.

Unsophisticated persons are the key-words here.

NEXT!

Anything? OK, what will be Wednesday's winning Lotto numbers? :D

Slightly more sensibly:

Can you explain what exactly the final episode of The Prisoner (1960s TV series) was all about?

Halo :)

Assuming the girl in your sig. photo is your girlfriend, how does she describe the colour of her hair (which is lovely, btw).

I'm always looking for ways to describe varying shades of brown, as I find it so bo-o-o-o-ring reading, or writing, about characters having predictable blonde or raven hair. (No offence to blondes and/and or ravens intended.)

Third Man Girl

Halo:

Don't know the lotto numbers.

Can you explain what exactly the final episode of The Prisoner (1960s TV series) was all about?

This falls into the area of "speculation" and your guess is as good as anyone else's, but McGoohan, when asked the same questions, said, "The answers, such as they are, are all in the episode - what you see is all there is." If in doubt, please re-read that. In other words - he doesn't know either, and no amount of "yes but" will alter that.

To be fair, the series was wrapped prematurely and he was only allowed to finish one more episode when it was cancelled, and wrote what became "Fall Out" over a single weekend. Actually he only part finished it, Ken Griffith had to write his own speech and there's no dialogue at all in the latter part.
According to Alexis Kanner and others, they made most of the action up on the spot and the musical director describes "miles of wasted film". All of which perhaps means that McGoohan did Fall Out as expensively and obscurely as possible as a gesture of defiance. I say "perhaps". We'll never know.

As to whether "Fall Out" (or indeed any episode) actually means anything, probably not.

NEXT!

Third Man Girl:

You assumed right.

In Dutch we would describe her hair as kastanje-bruin which translates as chestnut-brown. I would love to give you a wonderful and exciting literary description of her hair ... but I can't. I'm not that poetic.

NEXT!

Okay, here is a question that I would like answering. Can you explain to me exactly what the ending to Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' was all about? I think I have an idea but I enjoy confirmation.

Also, when is a door not a door?

And btw, I do know I am unsophisticated, but it never hurts to be told again. So thanks. :D

Igkuk:

Easy one first.

When is a door not a door?

When it's ajar.

Can you explain to me exactly what the ending to Philip K. Dick's 'The Man in the High Castle' was all about?

Some readers may find the ambigiuous ending frustrating, and my first thought was that it almost seemed as if the last few chapters had been accidentally left out of the book. But that was Dick's intention, I think. What came afterwards was almost irrelevant, it didn't matter to the story. He showed us the nexus, the Moment, the turning of the Wheel, and then let the light fade. Those were the only important moments for us to see in a world where we miss all too many important moments in our own lives and those of the world around us.

All in all, There is no answer that satisfies every condition. Alan Flesch (on rec.books.phil-k-dick) has suggested that "It seems artificial to arbitrarily draw the line at one point and say, the story ends here. Frank Frink goes back and begins making jewelry again. Operation Dandelion is not dead, really; the Japanese know about the Nazi plots against them but that won't stop any further assaults on them by the Nazis. Juliana meets Abendsen, warns him, and then leaves. There is nothing more for her to do here. The ending of the book is like life; nothing really ended."

NEXT!

I didn't want to know what happened as a whole, I wanted the specifics of the very end, the confusing part. If you don't mind that is.

How much would could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck would?

What noise annoys an oyster?

Is 0 a number?

What is the meaning of Death?

How many beans make 5?

Igkuk:

I wanted the specifics of the very end, the confusing part.

Near the end, we get a peek of "Grasshopper" and learn that its vision, at first closer to reality than that of "Castle". Soon however, the cracks form, and we're left wondering which alternative reality is really the alternative reality, and which is simply a funhouse-mirror version of our own - one in which an ambitious super-power has scarred the world with its costly mistakes, tears itself apart in internecine battles and seeks to spread itself into space, likely in order to escape the charnel house it has made of the earth. Dick gave this story no ending, probably thinking that the scariest way to close a cautionary tale of an alternate time is to show you how alternate it's not.

NEXT!

Now that's more like it! Nice one! Cheers! It wasn't the part I was thinking of, but you tried your best and I appreciate that.

Kaz:

How do you know?

Statistics. If only one in a million planets can spawn life, and one in a million of those is intelligent life, and only one in a million of those will master space-travel, then there are still billions of planets elligible.

It's just impossible for it not to happen.

NEXT!

Igkuk:

How much would could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck would?

Lots.

What noise annoys an oyster?

A noisy noise annoys an oyster.

Is 0 a number?

If you believe that black and white are not a colour, then 0 is not a number. And vice versa.

What is the meaning of Death?

Life.

How many beans make 5?

NEXT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back