• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUESTIONS!!!

1) When the whales sing their songs, what do they sing of?

2) What is the worst insult in Holland?

3) What colour am I thinking of?

Regards
SillyWabbit! :)

Martin,
Please clarify why Americans are madmen before I get very angry. (sorry, I don't do smiley faces)

Bill

Originally posted by Martin
Many, many questions, so this'll be a big post. Here goes, wish me luck.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Headpodd:

why is the wedding ring placed on your left hand and not your right?

In medieval England, a bridegroom would slide the ring part way up his bride's thumb, index and middle finger, saying "In the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost" as he passed each one. He then put the ring on the next available finger - the third finger of the left hand. This practice was finally formalized in the 1500's when Henry VIII's son authored The Book of Common Prayer, which gives English modern Protestant wedding vows and decrees on which finger our wedding rings should go.

Cheers, Martin :D

At the risk of sounding pedantic :D this is not the correct answer. I would like to know what the significance of the LEFT hand is over the RIGHT hand.

(Hint this is an ancient custom - dating back at least 2,000 yrs)

Other than that Martin - very impressive. :)

Ok, lets go into my esoteric area of expertise, and I'd be suprised if anyone can find answers to these questions on the web. If they are found they are likely to be wrong!

On a cruciform crank configured V8 automotive spark ignition engine (as opposed to a flat plane -even firing V8-a la ferrari), why is a twin plenum configuration

1) desirable
2) very complex to accomplish in practice?

What factors govern idle stability on an automotive Spark ignition engine?

What engine orders in terms of NVH (noise vibration harshness) predominate on a 6 cylinder engine and what effect would having unequal length intake secondaries have on the orders?

Wedding ring question (sorry to step in here, Martin, but couldn't resist):

The wearing of the ring on the ring finger of the left hand is another old custom. This originated because people once thought that a vein or nerve ran directly from the finger to the heart

Okay, back to business.

Knowze Gungk:

The killogram is not a unit of weight

Metric unit

Noun 1. metric unit - a decimal unit of measurement of the metric system (based on meters and kilograms and seconds).

g, gm, gram, gramme - a metric unit of weight equal to one thousandth of a kilogram.

Although they are called basic machines, they are made up of a mob of smaller machines & seem rather complex. When I say basic, I mean it literately.

There are six basic machines. The lever, the wheel and axle, the pulley, the inclined plane, the wedge, and the screw are considered the six simple machines.

Igkuk7:

Alas, if perhaps you had persisted in your googling you would have found that Moses toeses aren't roses.

I didn't say that Moses' toeses are roses, I just said that Moses supposes that his toeses are roses. Can't deny that, can you?

Who invented underwear?

The English invented underwear to sell more cotton!

piedro:
I have been off this forum for just two days and look at the way this thread has progressed!
Absolutely hilarious!
And Martin, you rule like nobody has ruled before.
Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying this, because I certainly am!

Donald Duck never wore pants then why does he come out of a bathroom wearing a towel ?

Donald puts a towel when he gets out of the shower to dry off! When he gets out of the shower he's pretty wet and doesn't want to drip water all over the bathroom floor.

Seriously, Donald Duck was created as a human-like character. He reacts to many situations the same way that a man would. Since a man would normally wrap a towel around his waist when stepping out of the shower, so does Donald.

What is the meaning of 'meaning' ?

'Meaning' is, like most English words, highly ambiguous -- has lots of different senses. So it's better to speak of the meanings, plural, of 'meaning'.

Verb:

1. To be used to convey; denote: “‘The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things’” (Lewis Carroll).
  2. To act as a symbol of; signify or represent: In this poem, the budding flower means youth.
  3. To intend to convey or indicate: “No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous” (Henry Adams).
  4. To have as a purpose or an intention; intend: I meant to go running this morning, but I overslept.
  5. To design, intend, or destine for a certain purpose or end: a building that was meant for storage; a student who was meant to be a scientist.
  6. To have as a consequence; bring about: Friction means heat.
  7. To have the importance or value of: The opinions of the critics meant nothing to him. She meant so much to me.
Noun:

1. Something that is conveyed or signified; sense or significance.
  2. Something that one wishes to convey, especially by language: The writer's meaning was obscured by his convoluted prose.
  3. An interpreted goal, intent, or end: “The central meaning of his pontificate is to restore papal authority” (Conor Cruise O'Brien).
  4. Inner significance: “But who can comprehend the meaning of the voice of the city?” (O. Henry).
Adjective:

1. Full of meaning; expressive.
  2. Disposed or intended in a specified manner. Often used in combination: a well-meaning fellow; ill-meaning intentions.
Why do they sterilize syringes for giving lethal injections?

I assume because they want to let these people die in a humane as possible way. They're criminals, not animals (not all of them, that is?)

Milo-O-Phile:

Don't forget the dove.

I didn't. The question concerned quadruped. If not, then I'd have mentioned seals as well.

By what name is Donald Duck referred in the Vatican?

Paolino Paperino.

Silly Wabbit:

When the whales sing their songs, what do they sing of?

Studies have discovered that whales sing songs composed of an ordered sequence of musical sounds, much like a songbird. The singing whales are thought to be solitary males who start to sing soon after they reach the breeding grounds in the winter. Each song can last up to 35 minutes and has a definite beginning and end. Themes from previous years are often repeated, but the songs seem to change from breeding season to breeding season. The whales sing mainly when in shallow coastal waters where the sound can travel more than 114 miles (185 km). Scientists studying whale song can identify individuals by their unique sounds.

What is the worst insult in Holland?

We have several really bad ones. We're the only people in the world that use serious illnesses when making insults (like cancer, cholera, polio). Add a random private part to that disease, and voila, you have a rather nasty insult.

What colour am I thinking of?

I'm not omniscient.

RaVeN:

Please clarify why Americans are madmen before I get very angry.

First off, you're not the kind of guy that strikes me as getting insanely angry. That's a good thing.

I said that Americans are madmen because they let G.W.Bush rule the free world.

Headpodd:

I would like to know what the significance of the LEFT hand is over the RIGHT hand.

A more romantic and less orthodox explanation than the one given above harkens back to Egyptian times where it was held that the vena amoris (vein of love) flowed from the third finger of the left hand directly to the heart.

Marquis Rex:

Clueless. These are the first questions I'm gonna pass. Way out of my league.

Phew!

NEXT!

I think yoiu are wrong again with your unit of weight. I think that answer Knowze Gungk was looking for was the Newton, as of course, the kilogram is the unit of mass.

And don't the Vatican call Donald Duck, Donald Dick, or something like that and suitably humourous? Not sure where I read that, but it was somewhere recent.

But apart from that, good work.

Originally posted by igkuk7
And don't the Vatican call Donald Duck, Donald Dick, or something like that and suitably humourous? Not sure where I read that, but it was somewhere recent.

The Vatican newspaper once translated Donald Duck as Donald Anus.

They once translated it like that? That doesn't really constitutes the question "By what name is Donald Duck referred in the Vatican?", does it?

Mile-O-Phile:

What does the first page of the Voynich manuscript say?

Words. Many words.

NEXT!

Originally posted by Marquis Rex
Ok, lets go into my esoteric area of expertise, and I'd be suprised if anyone can find answers to these questions on the web. If they are found they are likely to be wrong!

On a cruciform crank configured V8 automotive spark ignition engine (as opposed to a flat plane -even firing V8-a la ferrari), why is a twin plenum configuration

1) desirable
2) very complex to accomplish in practice?

What factors govern idle stability on an automotive Spark ignition engine?

What engine orders in terms of NVH (noise vibration harshness) predominate on a 6 cylinder engine and what effect would having unequal length intake secondaries have on the orders?

OK, I might as well answer these myself :cool:

A cruciform crank configured V8 is what most v8s are, including old style American muscle cars, BMWs, Mercedes, etc etc. It is often favoured over the even firing -per-bank config because it inherently has better balance then a flat plane crank type, (balanced for primary and secondary free forces and moments-with the correct counter weighting).

It is the -uneven firing- per bank that makes a typical V8 unique and is responsible for the typical characteristic burbling noise, that no other config has (such as V12s or hideous V10s!).

A twin plenum arrangement, is advangeous as it can be designed to boost low speed torque, and, with a flap valve ,be variable and not compromise top end performance either-
Unfornutately, the packaging using the correcting routing of the intake runners ( you want to connect equal phase cylinders together) will mean you'll lose performance through bend losses.

Some factors that govern idle stability on Automotive SI engines are

Exhaust manifold design
Firing order
Cam timing-specifically the amount of overap at idle
Combustion chamber voulme balance between cylinders
Throttled voulme-if the throttle is used in the idle speed control strategy

A 6 cylinder engine will have 3rd and 6th orders predominantly-as these are the primary firing frequencies.
if the secondary path lengths are made unequal-this would typically manifest itself as side order bands around the 3rd and 6th-half orders typically-which can make the engine sound less smooth but perhaps more characterful!

Rex Of Automotive Technobabble!;)

I have 3 eggs, some Red Leicester cheese, and some piccalalily, how many different meals can I conjure?

Who, at the time of writing, is 17 posts away from becoming one of the top 20 posters to this forum? :rolleyes:

Who could answer this, but won't, and, on top of that, is the second in line as top poster?

(Don't worry, Igkuk, I'll get to your question)

Ok, short one now.

Mile-O-Phile:

What is God's true name when translated from Hebrew to English?

Is that Jehova, or jahweh?

Igkuk:[/i]

I have 3 eggs, some Red Leicester cheese, and some piccalily, how many different meals can I conjure?

Do you mean that you have an endless supply of 3 eggs, Red Leicester cheese and piccalily, or do you have only one supply of the above?

In other words, do you want all the meals you can make with those ingredients (which, if you were to make all of them, would take a lot more than three eggs, but only three eggs (or less) per meal), or do you want the amount of meals you can make with just 3 eggs, a little bit of Red Leicester Cheese and only some Piccalily?

Studying? What the hell is that?

Verb; transitive:
  1. To apply one's mind purposefully to the acquisition of knowledge or understanding (of a subject).
  2. To read carefully.
  3. To memorize.
  4. To take (a course) at a school.
  5. To inquire into; investigate.
  6. To examine closely; scrutinize.
  7. To give careful thought to; contemplate: study the next move.
Verb; intransitive:
  1. To apply oneself to learning, especially by reading.
  2. To pursue a course of study.
  3. To ponder; reflect.

NEXT!

Martin, old chap, some questions for you!!!

1) YHWH which is 'I Will Be' translated into English. I will be... what? A spoon? A hat? What will YHWH be????

2) If God is not playing dice with the universe then what IS he playing?

3) God moves in mysterious ways, why?

4) When on a date, Martin, have you ever gone Dutch?

5) What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

:D

Regards
Sillywabbit

PS: I REFUSE to dream of turquoise dammit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back