• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashlea, you're from Texas and forgot Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Shame on you! .... I'll bet your old man would have remembered :D

RaVeN

Martin said:
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Warm Enema:

How many peas are in a pod?

On average, eight.

How many bristles are on a hair brush?

No idea. Please tell me.

If I knew, I'd tell you.
Thanks for the pod answer.

How many M&M s (plain and peanut) are in a bag (1.69oz), on average?
What is the word for shit-eating?
Why doesn't the owl come out during the day?

Ok Martin, here is one for you.

A difficult question, which has puzzled many a scientist, scolar, housewife and laundry worker:

Why do the pillow case and sheet (and everything else you put into the machine) almost always end up inside the duvet case, when you launder them in the washing machine? :confused:

If you can crack that, you are better that my newspapers backpage editors, who for some months has tried to solve the puzzle.

Hobitten ;)

Ashlea said:
Questions inspired by the "Shakespeare Country" recipe book my mom got me:

1) How much butter is a "walnut" of butter? Is that a small walnut or a large one?
2) What is double cream? Is it similar to clotted cream?
3) What is caster sugar?
4) What is a damson?
5) How many pheasants are in a brace?
6) What is a bouquet garni?
7) What is demerara sugar?
8) What is golden syrup?
9) Where would someone acquire elderflower heads?

I am actually an adequate cook, but this is an entirely different language.

Normally, in an English recipe, measurements that refer to things that are not of a uniform size refer to something of average size. so go for an average walnut.
Go for heavy whipping cream, rather than clotted cream. Clotted cream is too thick, double cream is still runny, though thicker than single.
Caster sugar is a more finely granulated sugar than normal, good for making cakes, in the US I think it's called 'superfine'.
A damson is a sort of a plum.
Two pheasants in a brace. Make sure they're well hung. :D
A bouquet garni is a small bunch of herbs tied together that you suspend in something that you're cooking to add flavour, and then whip out again before serving. I recommend bay leaves, parsley and thyme. But it depends on what you're cooking. You'd want rosemary in there for lamb. And for chicken you can add in lemon zest, but orange zest is good for beef. If the recipe doesn't refer specifically to what should be going in, then I'd stick with just the basic.
Demerara is a specific form of brown sugar. Not sure what your equivalent would be. It's good for coffee and puddings. Yum.
Golden syrup is just a thick sugar syrup really. It's used for making the caramel in a caramel short bread (along with condensed milk).
As for elderflower heads, I have no idea. I take it you have some quite archaic recipes in that book?

Apologies to Martin for jumping into his thread, but I can't resist a cooking question. Me loves cooking. Especially cake. In fact, it's not entirely unknown for me to post cakes to forumites that have asked very nicely, so you should really all be treating me much better. ;)

VTChEwbecca said:
Where have my missing socks gone? And why do you only lose one of each pair of socks?

Another questions along those lines.

I have about a million black socks. But once they have been through the washing machine, it is almost impossible to match them. No two are alike. :(

Why is that? :confused:

Hobitten

hey martin, who were the merovingians? were they affiliated with either the freemasons or a group called the illuminati? what's the pyramid on the back of the dollar bill for? and why are most monosyllabic words (english words) rooted in german and most polysyllabic words rooted in latin?

Gulp!

Difficult questions this time!

I'll try and answer them later tonight, Capiche?

Keep 'em coming!

Cheers, Martin :D

RaVeN said:
Ashlea, you're from Texas and forgot Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Shame on you! .... I'll bet your old man would have remembered :D

RaVeN

OMG, How could I? I should've listed Saint Stevie, as well as his brother, Jimmie, whom I have actually seen live.

Ashlea said:
OMG, How could I? I should've listed Saint Stevie, as well as his brother, Jimmie, whom I have actually seen live.

Yes you should have (tisk tisk tisk :rolleyes: ). He should be in the top 3 on anyone's list
I was lucky enough to see Stevie play twice, once in Denver & once in Boulder. To this day, his was the only concert(out of hundreds i've been to)that moved me to tears.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program :D

RaVeN

Martin said:
Stella:

I'm not saying. It's baaaad. Sorry.

Come on! I've answered, like, a thousand questions here, so please answer me this one lousy question!Cheers, Martin :D

*hopes you won't get mad*... Horny Martin :eek: :(

Oh

My

God!!

What the hell did I do to deserve that!?

I mean, have you seen what RaVeN and Wabbit have been posting recently?

Sheesh!

Actually, no, I don't mind ... but that's not what it means.

Martin said:
Oh

My

God!!

What the hell did I do to deserve that!?

I mean, have you seen what RaVeN and Wabbit have been posting recently?

Sheesh!

Actually, no, I don't mind ... but that's not what it means.

Ack I'm sorry!!! :( I'll be your servant for a day. Or maybe a month if you want.

Wow.

Nice offer.

But you're off the hook. Just don't let it happen again, young lady! :p

what is the word in thse:
longer life _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ c _ _ _ push up the costs of health care???

her financial Obligations are still _ _ _ _ e

I have been working on them for 2 days :mad:

Don't tempt me!

Back to the questions.

Snake:

What is the meaning of death:

Also already asked and answered.

Wabbit:

Why is it that you always get a back itch JUST where your hands can't reach?

Think about it. Because it's the one place you can't wash properly.

Ashlea:

I refer you to Litany's answer.

Fluffy Bunny:

Name the top 20 best selling albums of all time please.

01) The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits
02) Michael Jakson - Thriller
03) Pink Floyd - The Wall
04) Led Zeppelin - Untitled (IV)
05) Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Volume I & II
06) AC/DC - Back In Black
07) Shania Twain - Come On Over (<-- what?!)
08) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
09) The Beatles - The White Album
10) Whitney Houston &Various Artists - The Bodyguard
11) Boston - Boston
12) Garth Brooks - No Fences
13) Hootie & the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
14) Eagles - Hotel California
15) Elton John - Greatest Hits
16) The Beatles - 1967-70
17) Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.
18) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
19) Guns 'N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
20)The Bee Gees & Various Artists - Saturday Night Fever

By general consensus who are the best guitarists and drummers of all time?

Apparently, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughn & Jimmy Vaughn.

Warm Enema:

How many M&M s (plain and peanut) are in a bag (1.69oz), on average?

I do know how many there are in a 21.3 oz bag:

Green: 72
Orange: 40
Red: 97
Brown: 192
Blue: 101
Yellow: 190

Total # of M&M's: 692

Color Percentages:
Green - 10.40%
Orange - 5.78%
Red - 14.02%
Brown - 27.75%
Blue - 14.60%
Yellow - 27.45%

Ergo, a single M&M (or M) weighs 0.0308 oz. This means that in a 1.69oz bag there are approx. 55 M&M's.

What is the word for shit-eating?

I'll just skip that one, if you don't mind.

Why doesn't the owl come out during the day?

Because it's a nocturnal animal.

Hobitten:

I have about a million black socks. But once they have been through the washing machine, it is almost impossible to match them. No two are alike. Why is that?

Because they're cheap.

Why do the pillow case and sheet (and everything else you put into the machine) almost always end up inside the duvet case, when you launder them in the washing machine?

I'm clueless. I don't even know what a duvet case is. If I'd have to guess, I'd say that, because the duvet case has such a large opening, and the ... err ... things in the washing machine are constantly moving, odds are that something will end up in the duvet case. Just, you know, statistics, calculation of probability.

Chewbecca:

Where have my missing socks gone?

Did you check your duvet case?

And why do you only lose one of each pair of socks?

Think about it. If you lost both socks of a pair, would you notice? You only notice it, when you see one sock and can't find the other. So, you lose nothing, and you don't notice a thing, naturally; or, you lose an entire pair, which you also wouldn't notice, because you have, say, 20 pairs lying around; or, you lose one sock, and not the other, and those times are the only times you notice.

BobbyBurns, your answers are coming up, but the message was to long so I had to cut it. It'll be in my next post, in about a minute.

BobbyBurns:

Who were the merovingians?

The Merovingians are considered to have been the first ruling family in France. Although the first well-known Merovingian was Clovis, the family name derives from his dimly known ancestor, Merovee. As best we can figure out, Merovee was a Frankish leader during the first half of the fifth century, but, at that time, only one of many such warrior leaders.

The area that would become France was in something of a mess for much of the fifth and even the sixth centuries, as various groups struggled for geographical and political gain. It was largely thanks to Clovis (c. 466-511) that the chaos was at least somewhat suppressed, since that military ruler managed both to conquer most of his important opponents and to curry the favor of the Church. By the time of his death, a chunk of territory primarily in the center, east, and north of present-day France had been brought under tenuous control by the Merovingians.

However, most of the rules and precedents that would later lend some degree of permanent stability to the monarchy were still very much in flux at that point. Since the custom of primogeniture had not yet been established, Clovis, who produced four sons, divided his territory among them. This division led not only to conflict among his heirs but also to the beginnings of what might be called a "German" part of the Merovingian holdings versus a "Gallo-Roman" part.

Luckily one of Clovis’ heirs managed to reunite the territory, but the residue of a rivalry between the areas then known as Neustrie to the west and Austrasie to the east remained to create problems. In the sixth century, the rivalry produced a shocking scandal during the reign of Sigebert I of Austrasie, when there was a struggle between Brunehaut, his wife , and Frédégonde, the wife of the ruler of Neustrie—but that is a story for another day.

The Merovingians never really succeeded in a permanent unification effort, and by the seventh century they were in decline. They faced the rising power of their nobles, along with the distressing repetitive pattern of minor rulers who died leaving behind minor heirs. Historically, dynasties that produce only minors to inherit the throne are setting themselves up for trouble. There are always court rivalries over the control of the young king and, in addition, enemies within and without regard a period of minority as the ideal time to take over the country.

In addition to their problems with minorities, these so-called Merovingian rois fainéants faced a formidable series of rivals waiting in the wings—the future Carolingians. Once these capable and ambitious rivals became Mayors of the Palace, they worked tirelessly to advance their power, ingratiating themselves with the Church and providing the only successful military might available. It was the Carolingian Mayor Charles Martel, of course, who defeated the invading Islamic forces at Tours in 732, leading to the recognition of his son, Pepin the Short (d. 768), as ruler instead of merely Mayor.

Putting an end to the rival Merovingians, being crowned, and starting a new royal dynasty should have come down to us as major historical accomplishments, but poor Pepin the Short has always been eclipsed in the history books by his more famous offspring, Charlemagne, who became one of the bright lights of the early Middle Ages and therefore gets most of the good press.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Were they affiliated with either the freemasons or a group called the illuminati?

The Merovingians are a part of the top bloodlines within the Illuminati; the 13th Illuminati Bloodline is known as the Merovingians. Joseph Smith, along with Hiram Smith and Brigham Young, were the key figures behind the creation of the Mormon religion. They were of the elite of the elite Illuminati bloodline, the Merovingian or "Holy Grail" line, and were all high degree Freemasons.

What's the pyramid on the back of the dollar bill for?

If you look at the left hand circle on the back of the one dollar bill, you will see a Pyramid. This pyramid was not a part of the proposals for the Great Seal until the third committee, and it was not suggested by Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams. Notice the face is lighted and the western side is dark. Although there is no "official" explanation for the shading, some interpret it as a reflection that our country was just beginning and had not begun to explore the West or decided what we could do for Western Civilization. The Pyramid is UN-capped, which may signify that our country was not yet finished. The unfinished state of the pyramid was intentional, and Charles Thompson, in his remarks to congress about the symbolism on the Great Seal, said the pyramid represented "Strength and Duration." Inside the capstone you have the all-seeing eye, and ancient symbol for divinity. Although Franklin's committee did not suggest a pyramid, it did originate the suggestion of the eye. However, the term "the all-seeing eye" was never officially used when describing it.

What makes the story interesting is that the eye and pyramid have links to Freemasonry. The eye, for example, is said to be a symbol of the Great Architect of the Universe, i.e., God. The symbolic significance of the pyramid and the eye were well known to educated folk of the 18th century, and one may argue that the Masons and the designers of the seal were merely drawing on a common fund of symbolic meaning. But what if there's more to it?

Due to incomplete records, nobody knows exactly how many of the founding fathers were Masons. But there were quite a few, including George Washington, Ben Franklin, and possibly Thomas Jefferson. Franklin and Jefferson were on the committee assigned to design the great seal. This group produced a design calling for, among other things, an all-seeing eye. While the eye was cool, the design otherwise was pretty feeble, and the job wound up getting dumped on the secretary of the Congress, Charles Thomson. Thomson enlisted the aid of Philadelphian William Barton. The two cooked up the scheme we have today, incorporating the all-seeing eye plus a pyramid, because everybody liked the idea of Egyptian symbolism.

Why are most monosyllabic words (english words) rooted in german and most polysyllabic words rooted in latin?

That I do not know. Do you?

Told ya you'd get your answer.

NEXT!

what is the word in thse:
longer life _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ c _ _ _ push up the costs of health care???

her financial Obligations are still _ _ _ _ e

The strike has brought about a _ h _ _ _ _ _ _ of petrol

I have been working on them for 2 days :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back