• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ask Me Anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who popularised "victory" sign (two fingers up)?

And I'm waiting for the links.
:)

Thats not a very difficult question .... well, unless you're not British ... like you two .... oh ......

...... i'll just be off then

Phil :)

The lifetime of the triplet excited state of pyrene is 145 microseconds. Under identical experimental conditions, the triplet lifetime of perdeuterated pyrene is found to be 340 microseconds. Knowing that the C-H stretching vibration frequency is located at 3015 cm^-1, and assuming the Englman-Jortner exponential energy-gap law to be valid, estimate the frequency of the corresponding C-D stretch. Explain your reasoning.

Since now one else has raised their hand...Unfortunately the Dutch Dude that hosts this thread left for vacation a few hours ago. (or holiday I believe you call it)

If you're waiting for an answer before you can complete your test, I'd say you're pretty much fekked. :D

Illustrating once again while I majored in English. Typical English test question:

Explain why Robert Burns is more than just a Nationalist poet.

Answer: 3 paragraphs of b.s. on how great a poet Robert Burns is.

Flattery will get you everywhere. :D

I'd say its around 2, give or take 10 million :D

I have a question: Martin, how long are you going for .....

Martin .....

Martin .....

now where the hell has he got to??

Phil :D

Ahem ..

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif

Well, the vacation's over - back to work.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Idun:

Who popularised the "victory" sign (two fingers up)?

Winston Churchill.
churchill.jpg

TimmyEatCrisps:

The lifetime of the triplet excited state of pyrene is 145 microseconds. Under identical experimental conditions, the triplet lifetime of perdeuterated pyrene is found to be 340 microseconds. Knowing that the C-H stretching vibration frequency is located at 3015 cm^-1, and assuming the Englman-Jortner exponential energy-gap law to be valid, estimate the frequency of the corresponding C-D stretch. Explain your reasoning.

Yeah. Uh huh. Sure.

Squeegee:

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

evolution-white.jpg

This surprisingly common argument reflects several levels of ignorance about evolution. The first mistake is that evolution does not teach that humans descended from monkeys; it states that both have a common ancestor.

We didn't evolve from any existing monkey. Humans and monkeys share a common ancestral species, which was different from any existing human or monkey species, and which is now extinct. (For that matter, humans and everything else alive on this planet share common ancestors, not just monkeys.)

The theory of evolution does not say that every single individual of a population is changed identically into the same new species (i.e., one species replacing the other). Often, some small subgroup of the overall population experiences a greater change than the rest of the population. Therefore, you have the original (A) plus the new species (B) living simultaneously. Now those two species can go on down their own paths and can diverge further into even further species.

It's good to be back!

NEXT!!

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Wabbit:

First off - if you wanted to find a signature-image more annoying than my neurotic little dog, you succeeded. Now get rid of it.

What are the origins of the terms hill billy and hick?

Hillbilly:
The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish (The often incorrectly labeled “Scots-Irish”) settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690.

Supporters of King William were known as “Orangemen” and "Billy Boys" and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as "hill-billies". It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, "Hurrah! Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!" and shares its tune with the famous American Civil War song, "Marching Through Georgia".

Hick:
Formerly a hypocoristic form of Richard, which means, an unsophisticated country person; bumpkin; yokel. (That's honestly all I could find.)

NEXT!

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back