• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Audiobooks

TMBrown327

I did some quick searching (in General Chat) and didn't see anything recent on this subject. I was just curious if there was a general change in attitude about this since 2005. Based on the posts here from that time period, not many people liked them.

Personally, I like them very much. I use an iPod Touch 3g. This latest version of the iPod is very book friendly. It has controls on the headphone cable that make it easy to stop/start, volume etc., and the latest iPod software makes getting back to where you left off pretty convenient.

Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think about audiobooks in general, and the hardware/software you use, if you do listen to audiobooks.

I do all day, with a Ipod nano or the loud speaker on my PC.
I find the the reader is far more important than the hardwear.
I just finished John Cheever audio collection with stories read by Merryl Streep and it was excellent.
I have a paricular foundness for two readers, Frank Muller and Michael Kramer(most of the Westlakes books) and a total hatred for Georges Guidall who spoiled a few Roth and one Eco for me.

I still have mixed feelings on audiobooks. Part of my problem is strictly personal, due to my deafness in one ear. I have to concentrate so much when an audiobook is running, and ordinary room noise is a huge distraction. I've heard some audios I really enjoyed, and if I traveled more, I'd probably listen to them in the car..If I could count on not having the kids with me to make noise as I tried to listen. And that brings me to another issue I have with audios. Many of the printed books I would read would not be suitable for a listening audience that includes young children. With a printed book, one can read passages privately that one would rather not have a whole roomful of people hear. If I wouldn't read it aloud to my kids, why would I want it broadcast in a room where they are present? Because of my hearing problem, if I listen with an earbud, I'm basically deaf to whatever else is going on around me at the time..something my kids' radar is keenly attuned to, and as soon as I hit the start button, they'll start a squabble or three kids will come to ask me important, can't wait questions. It's all too frustrating.

I do all day, with a Ipod nano or the loud speaker on my PC.
I find the the reader is far more important than the hardwear.

I don't think I could get into it as well with a nano. Most of the books I listen to are multi-part mp3 files and I'd be forever searching around for the right tracks and bookmarks etc. Without a display, I'd be lost.

Totally agree that the reader makes or breaks the book. Most of the readers for the books I listen to are seasoned veterans and do a great job. Suprisingly, one of the worst I've ever listened to was a Carl Hiaasen book read by Ed Asner. Being an actor, I thought he'd put some life into an already funny writer, but he just murdered it. It was a complete monotone thoughout. Fortunately, I've never stumbled across any more that he read.

I still have mixed feelings on audiobooks. Part of my problem is strictly personal, due to my deafness in one ear. I have to concentrate so much when an audiobook is running, and ordinary room noise is a huge distraction.

Your situation reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the guy has all the time in the world to read, but then breaks his glasses. I have a 30 minute solo commute to and from work every day, so I don't have that interruption problem, and I go to Asia fairly frequently, so audiobooks let me tune out during that ridiculously long flight. Basically, I listen anytime I'm stuck in places where I don't have to concentrate much but cannot pick up a book. I wish my work allowed that, I'd never stop listening.

Your situation reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the guy has all the time in the world to read, but then breaks his glasses. I have a 30 minute solo commute to and from work every day, so I don't have that interruption problem, and I go to Asia fairly frequently, so audiobooks let me tune out during that ridiculously long flight. Basically, I listen anytime I'm stuck in places where I don't have to concentrate much but cannot pick up a book. I wish my work allowed that, I'd never stop listening.

I crochet a lot, and have often thought it would be nice to listen to audiobooks while I crocheted, but in reality, I wouldn't have a room quiet enough to get much use out of it. It's frustrating; there are some excellent audios out there, particularly for kids. Brian Jacques comes to mind immediately. The man is a gifted writer, and he reads his own books on audio...does wonderful work, with different voices for the various characters. You should look for Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales, even if you think you're too grown up for Redwall or 'children's' stories...

I don't think I could get into it as well with a nano. Most of the books I listen to are multi-part mp3 files and I'd be forever searching around for the right tracks and bookmarks etc. Without a display, I'd be lost.

Disregard my comments on the nano, I had shuffle in my head. Nano is a great device for audiobooks.

I crochet a lot, and have often thought it would be nice to listen to audiobooks while I crocheted, but in reality, I wouldn't have a room quiet enough to get much use out of it. It's frustrating; there are some excellent audios out there, particularly for kids. Brian Jacques comes to mind immediately. The man is a gifted writer, and he reads his own books on audio...does wonderful work, with different voices for the various characters. ..

You're talking to a guy who listened to all of the Harry Potter books and (regrettably) all of the Twilight series. Lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it. Maybe you need a 'cone of silence'.

You're talking to a guy who listened to all of the Harry Potter books and (regrettably) all of the Twilight series. Lol. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it. Maybe you need a 'cone of silence'.

Another family favorite is Cheaper By the Dozen. The printed book is great, but the audio is absolutely hysterical. And don't overlook Bill Bryson....

I used to have a prejudice against audio books. I still prefer reading books but I since I got my iPhone I find I enjoy audio books as well. They allow me to enjoy books while my eyes or hands are busy with other things.

The Nano has a display. Edit: I just saw your clarification.

Audiobooks are great for long distance solo car trips.

When I was driving a lot I used to listen in my car to audiobooks. Not so much anymore. I only drive about twenty minutes each way, not enough time to get involved in a story...

Thank you for the timely thread!!

My solo commute is 45 minutes to an hour each way, and I've been looking for something to pass the time. I decided to try audiobooks. I don't know if I'll like it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've heard that the reader makes all the difference. Thanks for all the ideas.

My solo commute is 45 minutes to an hour each way, and I've been looking for something to pass the time. I decided to try audiobooks. I don't know if I'll like it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I've heard that the reader makes all the difference. Thanks for all the ideas.

Hey CM! Great to see you again; I've missed you!

Audiobooks are great for that. I've sat in traffic jams for hours and couldn't have cared less, because I have audiobooks to listen to. This current batch of iPods make great devices for that. I used to listen to tapes, then CDs, but when I finally made the switch to the MP3s and the iPods, it really got convenient, even for short trips. I loaded up my brother-in-law's iPod classic with about 270 books (he's on the road a lot), he loves it. He sends it back to me periodically to reload. I keep a dozen or so books on my Touch, along with movies, music and games, so it's a pretty all around entertainment center for the road.

I got an mp3 player for Christmas, so between that and the car's CD player, should be set. The only issue is finding affordable (free) audiobooks. My local rural library doesn't have much of a selection, so I may have to get a reciprocal borrower card from the public library near the university, and see what my uni's library has.

I got an mp3 player for Christmas, so between that and the car's CD player, should be set. The only issue is finding affordable (free) audiobooks. My local rural library doesn't have much of a selection, so I may have to get a reciprocal borrower card from the public library near the university, and see what my uni's library has.

Talk to your librarians, both at the university and your publicl library. I have a card for the State Library of Kansas, which allows access to a lot of different databases, and one is for audiobooks...free for a two-week period, I think. I believe one can download these audios into an mp3 player during the loan period. At the end of that period, the audio just disappears. I also think the Wichita Public Library has something available like that..might be the same database. It's worth taking the time to talk to your librarians.

I've been looking into that, too. I don't think our system is quite as "together " as yours, this is Louisiana, after all :rolleyes:. But, my local librarians are quite helpful and could probably get me whatever I want, given enough time, and the public library near the uni has many more audiobooks, so it should be fine.

I've been looking into that, too. I don't think our system is quite as "together " as yours, this is Louisiana, after all :rolleyes:. But, my local librarians are quite helpful and could probably get me whatever I want, given enough time, and the public library near the uni has many more audiobooks, so it should be fine.

Ask them about interlibrary loan..whether from other libraries in the state or through www.worldcat.org. If they're not subscribed to world cat, you can still help your librarians by doing that part of the legwork for them. Just enter your zipcode, and world cat will find libraries that carry your title. The list will start with the closest libraries and then will list them farther flung..It's really interesting. You can then either send your library the link, including a request that they send for the book, or print out the page and take it to them in person. Kansas has a wonderful system that smaller libraries can use, and patrons can access that site and do the legwork from home. I've been hooked into this for about five years now, and I'm still blown away by how cool it is.

Back