• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Aunt Petunia *SPOILERS*

does she really care for Harry? don't know...
but maybe her connection with the magical world through Lily is deeper than anyone thinks.

Maybe Dudley is the half-blood prince? After all, he was attacked by a dementor, eh wot? Maybe the price for taking in Harry was leaving Dudley out of Hogwarts? Rowling stating that the Dursleys would be seen less and less could mean V finds a way to do them in ... ?

I think that there would be too much repition if rowling kept killing off Harry's family. Why the Dursley's? That just doesnt seem like her style, she is to creative to fall back on killing Harry's family again, what little of it he has left.

h_carnahan said:
I think that there would be too much repition if rowling kept killing off Harry's family. Why the Dursley's? That just doesnt seem like her style, she is to creative to fall back on killing Harry's family again, what little of it he has left.
Agreed. However, is the blood protection still valid? In Goblet, it was mentioned that since Harry's blood was part of the invocation used to ressurect V, he was able to touch Harry without harm. My Dudley=half prince is half joking, but I wonder if we won't be seeing the Dursley's because the blood protection is no longer valid and "holiday" at the D's will be rather short ... Vern and Pet and Duds will be placed under what amounts to "Muggle protective custody" for the duration ...

Oberon said:
Agreed. However, is the blood protection still valid? In Goblet, it was mentioned that since Harry's blood was part of the invocation used to ressurect V, he was able to touch Harry without harm. Vern and Pet and Duds will be placed under what amounts to "Muggle protective custody" for the duration ...

hmm... but if the protection was no longer valid, then harry would not have been sent to petunia's for the holiday between year 4 & 5. although you can obviously see that harry has lost some sort of defense, i think that dumbledore said as long as harry can still call the dursleys home, then he can't be harmed because he resides where his mothers blood is. and as long as he goes there 1 time a year, then that is enough. so maybe it is more that petunia is the protection then the blood.

I think Petunia still hates harry's guts, she just doesn't want him dead....remind anyone of snape? and she probably isn't in contact with magic because Mrs. Figgs was already enough and besides, she would have known voldemort was back without having the section about how harry saw she was scared when he told her that voldemort was back.

Jessica089 said:
I may have missed but what happened to the minister for magic?
h_carnahan apparently thinks Cornelius Fudge is on his way out because he mishandled the reappearance of the Death Eaters. Is the position similar to BG's Prime Minister and open to election? This really doesn't have much to do with Aunt Petunia, unless Uncle Vern is a potential candidate ... :p

shadow said:
I think Petunia still hates harry's guts, she just doesn't want him dead....remind anyone of snape? and she probably isn't in contact with magic because Mrs. Figgs was already enough and besides, she would have known voldemort was back without having the section about how harry saw she was scared when he told her that voldemort was back.

I think you're right, shadow. I think most of her animosity toward Harry is because she was jealous of her sister because of the extra attention she got because she was a witch. I really don't think Petunia is a bad person.

Petunia has obviously had to have stayed in contact (somehow) with the magical world the whole time that she has been looking after Harry. So how is she doing it? And why didn't she tell Harry?

No she hasn't. The only contract with the magical world she has had since Harry was dropped on her doorstep was through Harry, and of course the letter from Dumbledore.

The only thing Petunia needed to know was that Harry would be protected as long as he was in her house.

h_carnahan said:
Then why did she freak out under Harry's accusations?

I can think nothing that Petunia knew that she didn't get from either her first communications with Dumbledore or from Lily & James.

Robert said:
I can think nothing that Petunia knew that she didn't get from either her first communications with Dumbledore or from Lily & James.

I know; but when Harry began demanding why she got a howler and if she was in contact with the magical world...ect. she freaked out and got all flustered.

h_carnahan said:
I know; but when Harry began demanding why she got a howler and if she was in contact with the magical world...ect. she freaked out and got all flustered.

I think getting a howler is enough to fluster anyone, especially a muggle. Don't forget that the family never talked about magic. Ever. Harry doesn't know the extent of what Petunia picked up from Lily and James, and he likely hasn't been told about the message Dumbledore left for Petunia when he was dropped off at on the doorstep.

Robert said:
Harry doesn't know the extent of what Petunia picked up from Lily and James, and he likely hasn't been told about the message Dumbledore left for Petunia when he was dropped off at on the doorstep.

I wonder if when (as we know more will be revealed about Lily) it will be done through Petunia then? I hope we get to find out exactally what the doorstep letter said!

h_carnahan said:
I wonder if when (as we know more will be revealed about Lily) it will be done through Petunia then? I hope we get to find out exactally what the doorstep letter said!

I think we're suppose to find out why it's important that he has his mother's eyes. I suppose we might find out stuff through Petunia, but I would guess it would be one of Lily's friends from the magic world.

Back