• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Aunt Petunia *SPOILERS*

A witch with limeted powers

Aunt Petunia a witch which would give reason to the rumors about Dudley showing magical powers plus her hostility towards her sis(jealousy) and dumbledores message may come in that he may tell something and the original letter with baby harry may contain something. although would this not give rise to the belief that Dudley is the HBP. petunia cant be a squib as u need two magic parents to be one

Dermotjpr said:
Aunt Petunia a witch which would give reason to the rumors about Dudley showing magical powers plus her hostility towards her sis(jealousy) and dumbledores message may come in that he may tell something and the original letter with baby harry may contain something. although would this not give rise to the belief that Dudley is the HBP. petunia cant be a squib as u need two magic parents to be one

Petunia is not a witch and Dudley has never shown any talent other then eating and beating up on smaller children.

Dermotjpr said:
how can you be so sure is it not possible you are clearly a dursley hater

Defending him, who is not a Dursley hater? How can anyone actually like the Dursley's when they made their nephew live in a cubby hole beneath the steps for ELEVEN years?

Dermotjpr said:
how can you be so sure is it not possible you are clearly a dursley hater

Well, given the fact that he has never shown a hint of magical abilities and he does in fact spend his summer days with a gang that seems to excel in beating up on small children; I'd say it's pretty easy to be sure.

So have you read the books or have you only seen the movies?

i have done more than watch those substandard movies i am a die hard harry fan and i own a signed philosphers stone first edition. i am the biggest fan and have more insight into the books than any other

Yes, you do have a lot of insight on the books Dermot, I didn't think the movies were substandard, no offense to anyone who likes them, I thought they were drivel- no offense. I think that it is possible that Petunia has magical powers, that would explain her knowlege of dubledore that the howler suggested.

Dermotjpr said:
i have done more than watch those substandard movies i am a die hard harry fan and i own a signed philosphers stone first edition. i am the biggest fan and have more insight into the books than any other

Glad to hear it, Dermotjpr. Substandard movie .... you got that right.

Fistandantilus said:
...I think that it is possible that Petunia has magical powers,...

Based on what? Petunia could easily know everything from the note Dumbledore when he left Harry at their door.

Fistandantilus said:
I think that it is possible that Petunia has magical powers, that would explain her knowlege of dubledore that the howler suggested.
Then why would she try to stamp out Harry's magical roots and despise her sister and brother in law so much?

I do not know the aswer to that, perhaps it is down to mere supersticion (unlikely) or possibly, authough there is no evidence that I know of, Petunia may have once been a student at hogwarts but was expelled and hides it from her family and her resentment of harry is due to jealosy. note: this is only a theory, I HAVE NO EVIDENCE whatsoever so dont complain.

Fistandantilus said:
I do not know the aswer to that, perhaps it is down to mere supersticion (unlikely) or possibly, authough there is no evidence that I know of, Petunia may have once been a student at hogwarts but was expelled and hides it from her family and her resentment of harry is due to jealosy. note: this is only a theory, I HAVE NO EVIDENCE whatsoever so dont complain.
I am not complaining merely pointing out the holes in your theory :p
If Petunia were to have been expelled from Hogwarts; then:
a. She would have known that Harry was not allowed to use magic outside of school. (or maybe she did know and wasn't scared of him using magic but scared that he would be expelled like her and then she would be stuck with him again)

b. She would have not been so fearful when Harry used/accidentally used magic in her presence. (unless it was an act)

c. Gone to school around the time that Lily would have gone to school with an overlap in there somewhere (depending on the year she was expelled in). So Dumbledore would have been her Headmaster and Hagrid and other staff members would have worked there the whole time that she was at the school so Harry would have found out. (But maybe they kept it secret for a reason)

d. If the staff didn't tell Harry then Malfoy would happily point out that Harry not only lived with Muggles, but one was an expelled student from Hogwarts, and never let Harry live it down. (Unless he didn't know which I find hard to believe since he normally finds out things about Harry's past before him anyway).

e. Petunia would have known about Gringotts and would have taken the money that Harry's parents left to him since she intended on stamping that "Magic" out of him anyway.

h_carnahan: it is the points in brackets that are the basis on my "theory" (especially the unless it was an act point) and about your point e; this is not necesaraly the case, Harry's parents may not have told petunia about the money, they may have not trusted her. I quote; "I HAVE NO EVIDENCE"

Fistandantilus said:
about your point e; this is not necesaraly the case, Harry's parents may not have told petunia about the money, they may have not trusted her.

Everyone in the wizarding world knows of Gringotts and it is the only bank in the magical world. So if Petunia went to Hogwarts she was bound to know or heard of Gringotts even though her parents were Muggles. Since James and Lily were witch and wizard, Petunia would have logically concluded that their money was stored in Gringotts and would have swept the vault clean. (But naturally there is something to support you, she tried but did not have the key and therefore could not gain acess).

Everything is circumstantial though so of course you have no evidence and I have no real evidence either. How could you or I?

h_carnahan said:
Everyone in the wizarding world knows of Gringotts and it is the only bank in the magical world. So if Petunia went to Hogwarts she was bound to know or heard of Gringotts even though her parents were Muggles. Since James and Lily were witch and wizard, Petunia would have logically concluded that their money was stored in Gringotts and would have swept the vault clean. (But naturally there is something to support you, she tried but did not have the key and therefore could not gain acess).

Everything is circumstantial though so of course you have no evidence and I have no real evidence either. How could you or I?

Petunia never went to Hogwarts. But even if Petunia knew about Gringotts from Janes & Lily, I don't believe she could get access to it without magic, and even if could have gotten to Gringotts, she didn't have the key so she would not have gotten into the vault.

Don't forget too that Uncle Vernon said he wouldn't pay for Harry to go to Howarts. Actually, I believe it was something about not paying some Crackpot old fool. Anyway, I don't think Vernon would have concerned himself with the cost of Harry going to Hogwarts if they know about the bank.

Robert said:
Don't forget too that Uncle Vernon said he wouldn't pay for Harry to go to Howarts. Actually, I believe it was something about not paying some Crackpot old fool. Anyway, I don't think Vernon would have concerned himself with the cost of Harry going to Hogwarts if they know about the bank.

Yes he said he wouldn't pay for some Crackpot old fool to teach Harry magic tricks. Revealing that Vernon knew absolutely nothing about the account in Gringotts, but if Petunia did go to Hogwarts she obviously did not flaunt it and wouldn't have told Vernon about any of it including the fault since she couldn't gain access if Dumbledore had the key (which he gave to Hagrid when he went to collect Harry from the lighthouse).

We are supose to learn lots about Lily Potter's past in book 6 as well as to why Harry having her eyes is relevant. I think if Petunia went to Hogwarts, it would constitute as something big enough for J.K Rowling to say we would learn something about Petunia so I HIGHLY doubt that Petunia is a witch and has ever been into the Magical world.

Back