• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Author and New Member

RichardLowry

Hello,

I am an author and military historian and I have just published my first book - "The Gulf War Chronicles." Please take a moment to visit my web site and then let me know what you think of the site.

Regards,

Welcome to the boards, Richard. You'll find us a friendly bunch of booklovers!

Haven't checked out your site yet, but I'll make sure that I'll visit it in the near future, deal?

Cheers, Martin :D

Hi Richard, and welcome - although I'm a recent recruit to this forum myself.

Can I ask, as it interests me more than military history itself, what is it about military histories that capture the imagination/attention?

My friend, at the weekend, tried to force a book about the Falkand Islands war onto me which I almost battered him about the head with. I'm old school, too, and loathe to call events such as the wars in the Falklands and Gulf history due to how recent they actually are and the lack of released documents.

Greetings Richard!! Hope you enjoy the Forums!! :)

I used to be a bit of a military lore buff in my youth (ooh say, a couple of years ago). Unfortunately, i have not read much on the subject too recently, and cannot now understand a word that is said in a Dale Brown novel!

Good to have you here!!

Phil :) (who apoplogises for double posting, but saw the other thread first ;))

It bothers me when the kids are being taught history about Vietnam, too. That's wayyyyy too recent for me. I can't even watch movies about it.

National History must be severely limited in the States (and Australia) due to their relative newness compared to Europe, Africa, and Asia.

HISTORY?

In the last 50 years...no, 20 years the world has shrunk and the amount of human knowledge has exploded. When I was young, many decades ago, historians concentrated on events long past.

They considered anything that happened in a previous generation - History. Events were studied as historical not because they happened a long time ago, but rather because it took much longer to collect enough information to establish the facts surrounding an event.

Today, we have the knowledge of the world at our fingertips. When I started writing my account of Operation Desert Storm, the internet was in its infancy and I had to rely on snail mail to recieve data about the war. Today, I am working on my next book, "Marines in the Garden of Eden." In a short five months I have collected more information than I did in five years last time.

History is anything that happened in the past. Yesterday is history.

To Mile-o-file

I have always been interested in history. And I have found that civilization takes dramatic turns during, and after wars. In between the wars, we just plod along, day-to-day, and not much changes.

Now, I don't want to give you the impression that I am a war monger, I just want to point out that significant historical changes happen in and around wars, and have throughout the course of recordrd history.

Also, there are a large group of young Americans that have fought to protect our way of life. I am proud to be able to honor those young men and women who have fought and died for you and me.

I wouldn't say the world has shrunk; it has just become more accessible and knowledge hasn't exploded but expanded. The older stuff is still with us: in script, in story, and in stone - it's just that nobody cares for it as much. :(

Today, we have the knowledge of the world at our fingertips.

That's a frightening thought; especially when there's all that knowledge and the hoi polloi bypass it in search of mundane search categories. When you see someone like Orlando Bloom being the top search result on Yahoo! for a specific month, you have to wonder about these people. :confused:

It disturbs me that the writing of history is the antithesis of a telescope - a literary telescope. As time advances the history of ancient civilisations is easly reduced to one page while one modern day can spawn pages, even sustain a whole book.

Originally posted by RichardLowry
Also, there are a large group of young Americans that have fought to protect our way of life. I am proud to be able to honor those young men and women who have fought and died for you and me.

Without brewing anti- or pro- sentiment, I would dispute them fighting for me. ;)

RichardLowry said:
Hello,

I am an author and military historian and I have just published my first book - "The Gulf War Chronicles." Please take a moment to visit my web site and then let me know what you think of the site.

Regards,

Richard S. Lowry
www.gwchronicles.com
Welcome, your stuck with us now! Hehe :D *Grabs your arm and takes you on a tour of the book forum*

Hi Richard,

that is a really FANTASTIC website you have there, superb. I'm going to recommend it to other authors as an example, it's that good, and I'm not that easily impressed. Excellent design, very nicely done.

One thing - make your hyperlink live in your signature to make it easier for folk to click on it to see it?

Great success to your book, but I'm sure it will be or is already,

SFxxx

Back