• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Author would appreciate some help

MarkJohn

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. Obviously, some of my motivation is market research, but if I don't ask people who are interested in books who can I ask! With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover (anyone interested can find mine at the link in my profile/signature) or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated. It may help me not to make the same mistakes if I ever get around to writing another one! :)

I think the cover art affects me more than I realize. It gives context to the book description. If the cover art (and book color) is cool, then I will already have the idea of coolness in my mind when I read the synopsis. It's the same if the cover art were goofy.

Of course, if the synopsis is no good, then I won't read it.

Thanks for replying. Having been thinking about it, I feel that while a strong cover will encourage someone to take a closer look at a book, it's really the synopsis that will make the difference in terms of reading or not.
If anyone gets a chance to check it out, I've posted my own synopsis at the link in my signature/profile. It would be great to get some feedback on it.

I've posted my own synopsis at the link in my signature/profile. It would be great to get some feedback on it.

To whom is the synopsis addressed? To the adult or teenage reader? The cover told me this was probably a book for teenagers, but the synopsis might be off-putting to many: very abstract words, too many adjectives. What actually happens in the story - events versus outcomes?

When two teenage boys, Tom Lewis and Jack Barton, climb the gigantic oak at the bottom of Tom's garden they embark on a journey that takes them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss. Finding themselves in a dangerous, alien realm, where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything, they come under the malevolent influence of a creature known as the White Wolf. What had began as a childish adventure is in fact something far darker and deeper, for the Wolf is playing a momentous game, an arcane puzzle that must be resolved. The boys walk a dark road of treachery and pain, love and lust, sacrifice and redemption. Friendship and loyalty are put to the test and corruption comes in many guises. Finally, truth can only be revealed through pain and forfeit. It is a journey into the heart of darkness where nothing and no-one are what they seem and the rules are the logic of a dream.

I had a go at cutting it down a little. But knowing nothing of it, there's little else I can do.

When two teenage boys, Tom Lewis and Jack Barton, climb the large oak at the bottom of Tom's garden they embark on a journey towards adulthood, embracing enlightenment and loss. Finding themselves in a dangerous, alien realm, where dreams and reality interweave and deception is at the heart of everything, they come under the malevolent influence of the White Wolf. What started as a childish adventure is in fact something far darker and deeper, for the Wolf is playing a momentous game, an arcane puzzle that must be solved. The boys walk a dark road of treachery and pain, love and lust, sacrifice and redemption. Friendship and loyalty are put to the test and corruption comes in many guises. Finally, truth can only be revealed through pain and forfeit. It is a journey into the heart of darkness where nothing and no-one are what they seem and the rules are the logic of a dream.

Oh, and I read a bit of your extract. You seem to be playing speech tag tennis with your characters, which is never a good thing.

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. Obviously, some of my motivation is market research, but if I don't ask people who are interested in books who can I ask! With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover (anyone interested can find mine at the link in my profile/signature) or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated. It may help me not to make the same mistakes if I ever get around to writing another one! :)

That's an easy one. There is research which gives facts on this. The Book Cover draws people to pick the book up off the shelf not buy it. They then look at the Blurb on the back if that is not ok they put it back. After the verb they look at the first chapter. A staggering 88% of would be buyers spend exactly 65 seconds reading the first three paragraphs - if these do not work for them then you've lost a sale.

I think that the cover it the thing that draws people to your book, and makes them want to read it. a few weeks ago I went to a great hall were they sold books for...well very very very cheap, and they were so many that I only picked up the books with a nice cover, and then read the text on the back to see what it was about. But really if a book has a boring cover I mostly don't read it, unless i know it's a great book (cause friends of family told me)

good point. a cover should be good to look at. But it should also convey something about the book. otherwise the cover is nearly an attempt at deception, I think. Maybe covers should represent a unique situation of interest present within the book, or a rendition of one of the remarkable passages

That's an easy one. There is research which gives facts on this. The Book Cover draws people to pick the book up off the shelf not buy it. They then look at the Blurb on the back if that is not ok they put it back. After the verb they look at the first chapter. A staggering 88% of would be buyers spend exactly 65 seconds reading the first three paragraphs - if these do not work for them then you've lost a sale.

Perfectly put - that's how it works for me. The blurb IS important though: it makes me pick up the book in the first place.

The other, even better way to get me to buy a book: a recommendation by somebody I know.

Perfectly put - that's how it works for me. The blurb IS important though: it makes me pick up the book in the first place.

well said, chuephoddli.

No, there is not any doubt that the blurb is important. Dont' forget , some bookstores even take this into account within thier displays, featuring the covers, the backs, and also leaving copies of the book proped open to favor curiousity.

So the blurb is important, yes. But the cover comes first in my books

good point. a cover should be good to look at. But it should also convey something about the book. otherwise the cover is nearly an attempt at deception, I think. Maybe covers should represent a unique situation of interest present within the book, or a rendition of one of the remarkable passages

of course. The cover should be logical, and connected to the book, otherwise you won't know what you're about to read.

The cover should be logical, and connected to the book, otherwise you won't know what you're about to read.

I don't think that's strictly true.
aimg187.imageshack.us_img187_1308_thumbhowtobegooddk8.gif
thumbwhiteteethls7.gif
aimg187.imageshack.us_img187_7641_thumbeverythingisillumizp0.gifaimg187.imageshack.us_img187_782_thumbimpressionistta1.gif

There's a certain charm to the old Penguin style of author and title with nothing else, knowing that you don't know what you are about to get.

yeah ok, but I meant more like, you know if the cover really tells you something and it isn't true, it will be a huge disappointment, at least that's what I think. and that cover tells nothing, so it isn't not connected to the book nor connected. it's just..well nothing.

Personally, cover art means nothing to me. What grabs my attention first is the title and/or author. If I find it interesting, then I read the synopsis on the back. If that doesn't interest me I won't buy the book.

yeah ok, but I meant more like, you know if the cover really tells you something and it isn't true, it will be a huge disappointment, at least that's what I think. and that cover tells nothing, so it isn't not connected to the book nor connected. it's just..well nothing.

Yes, I agree. I once read a book where there were three or four of the characters featured on the cover, but only one really looked like any of the characters in the book. Wrong hair colors, wrong body shape, just wrong.

I feel the same way about titles, Kiwi

I feel the same way about titles, Kiwi

yeah but a title, in a lot of cases, tells almost nothing about the book. but the title is very important too, if the title is boring, I'd be less encouraged to take the book of the shelf.

For anyone interested there are a number of mini reviews of The Magic Lands on Amazon.co.uk It would be great to hear from some readers and I'm always happy to answers questions if anyone has one!

Back