• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So, being somewhat new to the internet and forums, I have a question about avatars. Are there any guidelines on what you can use? I mean if you do an image search and see something you like can you just shrink it and use it? or would that be bad? Is it considered public and therefore free pickins if you find it on a search or should you not use those?

Uh oh Ronny, looks like we're descending into the dark, dank, and mysterious swamps of copyright law. I think that with most images you can find on the internet, using them as avatars might be considered fair use and are therefore ok and legal to use. However, if it's an image that is usually sold in and of itself, and you're using it as an avatar and basically spreading it around for free, then it is probably not legal. I can't think of many images like that though.

Hmm, tricky, I will use the teaching angle maybe, I mean I'm teaching y'all loads of stuff right? :D

Thanks KristoCat

Sure, I'll need character witnesses, so remember I taught you lots and needed my avatar to do it :D

You're an expensive friend, lets see I have a plastic charm necklace with all kinds of cool little danglies.

Mine is very uninformative and has no resemblance to anything. I'm used to forums that have either bigger avatar windows or none at all, so I had to find something to use. Avatar.com or similar generic website, in the "misc" section and this was the first picture that came up that I liked. And so it was chosen.

I just changed my avatar today to another pic of Masuimi Max.

Motokid? Would you like to explain your scary avatar? :p
And Libre has a really nice new one too. :D

~Libra

My avatar is Jack Sparrow...I think that Johnny Depp made the sexiest pirate I have ever seen...I love looking at him and I thought that other people might like to see him too.

I chose my avatar because i think it represents me and because it's great. It's acharacter from my favourie manga-anime, so here i go with that again, but she kind of looks like me but it's in fact an animation, i didn't want to put my real picture up there:p
And yes Johnny Depp was the sexiest pirate ever:D

Peder said:
SFG,
I can't do 'young' anymore. Not since otherwise boisterous kids have started calling me 'sir' and also holding the door for me. :( :( But 'befuddled' has definite possibilities. :D
Peder
Heh what can i say there? I'm 22 and most of the kids i see call me madam and stuff like that as if i were 50 or something...and even though they are my patients and it's ok for the whit overcoat to throw them of... it's still a weird and creepy:eek:

I've used this avatar for 5 years in many forums so it's almost a part of my identity. Originally I chose it because of the beautiful flower and the bright colours which (I hope) make it stand out in a crowd. I think it also represents my character somehow..

Leolioness4200 said:
I think that Johnny Depp made the sexiest pirate I have ever seen...I love looking at him and I thought that other people might like to see him too.

Oh yes, either a pirate or something else, Johnny Depp is the sexiest and I sure like to see him.:eek:

I chose the picture on my avatar because here in Georgia, we haven't seen any significant snow in at least 5 years. I'm hoping for some this winter, just 2 or 3 inches would be nice. But if not, at least my avatar can enjoy some of the white stuff.

I have no real reason for choosing my particular avatar. I've got quite a few similar images saved on my HD so I shrank a few down to size and this one looked the best.....it's definitely grown on me though:)

I chose my avatar because I like to film my girlfriend
when we go out dogging
and then putting the clips up on the internet.

No. Not really.

CDA said:
I chose my avatar because I like to film my girlfriend
when we go out dogging
and then putting the clips up on the internet.

No. Not really.
dogging
?? What the heck is that?

Back