• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I have been asked whether my avatar is someone who should be recognizable. No, absolutely not! It's just me. I've been looking at avatars since being asked, and see that the preference here is heavily toward symbolic avatars, so I am somewhat out of step (as usual :eek:). However, if I waited until I thought of a symbol appropriate to myself I'd never find an avatar. So, for better or worse, you get me as I am.
Very glad I haven't received any actual complaints .......yet! :rolleyes:
Peder

Halo said:
You look rather intellectual in your avatar, Peder, with your Rodin-esque pose! :)
Halo,
Thanks for thinking the best! Actually it was the photographer who suggested the pose. So, intellectual photographer? :) And, duh, the connection to Rodin never occurred to me! :eek: I have it now! My avatar should be a very dim bulb. :D
Peder

My av reflects my heritage - the Pommern region of Prussia, swallowed by the bigger brats on the block.

SFG75:

Until I had my first semi-heart attack, I was a huge cigar fan. Burn one for me.

The Prussian

Sorry about the health complication. :( I'll be sure to light up a Ramon Allones Gigante on your behalf some time this weekend. :)

Peder said:
I have been asked whether my avatar is someone who should be recognizable. No, absolutely not! It's just me. I've been looking at avatars since being asked, and see that the preference here is heavily toward symbolic avatars, so I am somewhat out of step (as usual :eek:). However, if I waited until I thought of a symbol appropriate to myself I'd never find an avatar. So, for better or worse, you get me as I am.
Very glad I haven't received any actual complaints .......yet! :rolleyes:
Peder

It's "you" to a "t." Just as I would've imagined you. I think it would've thrown some people off if you chose an avatar of a younger person with everything pierced or with a befuddled look.

My avatar, although not so clear, is a scene from one of the greatest movies of all time (my opinion), "Gone With the Wind." :)

SFG75 said:
It's "you" to a "t." Just as I would've imagined you. I think it would've thrown some people off if you chose an avatar of a younger person with everything pierced or with a befuddled look.
SFG,
I can't do 'young' anymore. Not since otherwise boisterous kids have started calling me 'sir' and also holding the door for me. :( :( But 'befuddled' has definite possibilities. :D
Peder

Metaphor said:
My avatar, although not so clear, is a scene from one of the greatest movies of all time (my opinion), "Gone With the Wind." :)
Metaphor,
I'm with you there! A wonderful movie! And a very nice avatar! :)
Peder

ruby said:
I got my avatars sent to me off a good friend who knows i collect little angels and fairies! Thanks hun :D

Hey Ruby, I have a small tatoo on my left hip that looks very much like your Avatar. Except she has blonde hair and is totally naked. He he he...

I chose the Boston Terrier because the Avatar I use on other forums is too big and because I *really* want a Boston. I have been trying to convince my husband to get a dog...... So I live vicariously through my avatar.

Peder said:
SFG,
I can't do 'young' anymore. Not since otherwise boisterous kids have started calling me 'sir' and also holding the door for me. :( :( But 'befuddled' has definite possibilities. :D
Peder

Peder-Funny comment about the youth thing. :D I'll never forget when I was first referred to as "sir" which is amusing, because I look like I'm 19. :rolleyes:

SFG75 said:
I'll never forget when I was first referred to as "sir" which is amusing, because I look like I'm 19. :rolleyes:
I get referred to as "sir" quite a bit. :cool: I have been asked at least a couple dozen times if I was nighted.

Scottishduffy said:
Hey Ruby, I have a small tatoo on my left hip that looks very much like your Avatar. Except she has blonde hair and is totally naked. He he he...

I chose the Boston Terrier because the Avatar I use on other forums is too big and because I *really* want a Boston. I have been trying to convince my husband to get a dog...... So I live vicariously through my avatar.
I want my avatar tatooed on my shoulder but i have not got round to it yet!

ruby said:
I want my avatar tatooed on my shoulder but i have not got round to it yet!

Getting a tatoo isn't half so painful as people told me it would be. I got mine when I was 18, with 3 friends and we got the same one. I got mine on my hip since I figured it would be the easiest place to hide if necessary. My mother almost killed me for getting a tatoo! :D

StillILearn said:
Now, that's more like it, Moto. Looks just like you! (Or is that what Humbert Humbert may have looked like to Lolita?)

:D

I guess that depends on which side of Humbert you're looking at....doesn't it...

Motokid said:
I guess that depends on which side of Humbert you're looking at....doesn't it...

Um. Which side would an orphaned, kidnapped, prepubescent (Lolita was twelve, I think?) girl be looking at? His inner child side?

StillILearn said:
Um. Which side would an orphaned, kidnapped, prepubescent (Lolita was twelve, I think?) girl be looking at? His inner child side?

I believe there was a side of Humbert that really and truely cared about Lolita. A side that wanted her protected, and educated. Not everything about him was disgusting and dispicable. Or am I reading that wrong?

I have not finished the book yet. I'm finding it very difficult to stay focused on this book. I started it not too long after reading Life Of Pi which was a very easy read. Then I read A Clive Barker book, which again, I found easy to read....but Lolita is taking me to task to finish it....it's a struggle for me...

Motokid said:
I believe there was a side of Humbert that really and truely cared about Lolita. A side that wanted her protected, and educated. Not everything about him was disgusting and dispicable. Or am I reading that wrong?
MotoKid,
Not necesssarily, I would say. However figuring out an answer to that question is one of the challenges that the book presents. As well as figuring out whether Lolita herself was a hussy or an innocent. There seem to be as many answers as people. So keep on reading, it gets more fascinating.
Peder

Back