• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

B&R advertising-silver cupid

I take it we are talking here about Facebook information posted for other people to see, as being non-private, like say this post is posted for other people to see here (and not only members)?
I was more thinking of information provided for one's Facebook profile and not made public, like say my age or birthday, or other info they ask about.

Which kind is the Facebook privacy issue about? Which kind is the discussion here about?

Anyhow, install Adblock to get rid of all adds on all sites.

I assume you mean the paid version. The limited free version becomes ineffective way too soon during my browsing sessions, and I just don't feel like paying to get rid of ads I haven't asked for. Sort of like extortion.

And the repeated notices to install the paid version get annoying in their own way.

But anyway, a suggestion worth trying for those who haven't.

PS Lately I have been solicited to check my arrest record. Big black and red ad, very startling for someone who has never been arrested.

I assume you mean the paid version. The limited free version becomes ineffective way too soon during my browsing sessions, and I just don't feel like paying to get rid of ads I haven't asked for. Sort of like extortion.

And the repeated notices to install the paid version get annoying in their own way.

PS Lately I have been solicited to check my arrest record. Big black and red ad, very startling for someone who has never been arrested.

The catch 22 is that you probably take steps to keep tracking to a minimal online which gives advertisers very little tools to effectively serve relevant ads to you, hence why you are seeing the ads you are.

The catch 22 is that you probably take steps to keep tracking to a minimal online which gives advertisers very little tools to effectively serve relevant ads to you, hence why you are seeing the ads you are.
Interrresting. Verrrry interrresting. :)
Thanks. That must be it. I do have tracking turned off.

No. Free version. No limited browsing or annoying prompts asking me to pay.

No. Free version. No limited browsing or annoying prompts asking me to pay.
Well, I don't know what to say, Polly, because as I posted I noticed that there were no ads on my BAR pages, at all, for reasons I don't think I have anything to do with. Something is doing it: you, my ISP, my firewall, new computer with Windows 8, Norton? Dunno. But on the old computer (a few days ago) I think it was NYT that gobbled up the free allowance in a flash. Anyway, all is well now -- better than well, in fact. So thanks to whichever gods are doing it.
Having said that, they will now correct their error and ads will be restored, I bet. :(

Back