• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Baby Names

curiouswonder said:
Dogs - Wrigley and Cubbie (they get treated like kids, maybe better)

Good names for someone in CHICAGO!! haha GO CUBBIES!!

My kids names are Rebecca and Andrew (I've covered the Old and New Testement)

I don't have kids, but my favorite American/European names are:

Girls: Lucienne, Elise, Antonia, Xenodice (though I probably wouldn't name my child this)
Boys: Seth, James, Will, Alexander, Gabriel

Stewart said:
As opposed to favourite adult names?

Yes. :D

Well, it can depend, you know. Some names may sound cute for a baby, but just sound silly for an adult. Like Tootsie, or Junie or something like that. And names like Edna or Judith (in my opinion) are horrible for a baby, but perfectly acceptable for an adult, unless, of course, the baby was born fully grown and clothed, like Athena.

This thread seems to apply strictly to names suitable for babies. Most names that are suitable for babies are also suitable for adults. Most names that are suitable for adults are also suitable for babies. However, not all are. So there. :p

Besides you don't see books filled with ideas for adult names do you? Or entire websites dedicated to them?

steffee said:
Tootsie and Junie really don't sound cute on a baby. No, really. :eek:

Okay, not cute, but cutesy.

I didn't think so either. But really, someone must, because those are the names of my neighbors' twins.

I have a long list. You don't want to see it.
Since I don't like simple names like Britanny and Sara (although I don't necessarily think those are bad names), when I got serious about writing, I bought a book of 10,000 baby names. I used it for more than characters. All of the stuffed animals I saved from childhood were renamed, except a couple of old favorites, and both of my kittens were named from that book.
My first kitten was named Avalon Eres. Avalon means "paradise" and Eres was the goddess of chaos in Greek mythology. Avalon died three months ago. Then I got another kitten, and it took a while to name that one because we couldn't figure out if it was a boy or a girl. Finally, in a desperate attempt to call it something other than "kitten", I named it Echo Phantom. Of course, it turned out to be a boy...so I tell people she is a "sweet transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania."

Ufff, all those Biblical names! Nobody however wants to name their kids Cain or Abel, although I personally like how Cain sounds!

But for some ironic reasons, there are many Peters in the world - I bet however that the death of Abel was not as terrible as St. Peter's one. I wonder what kind of parent want his kid to have Peter's fate :D

Gabriel and Michael are fine, they at least were (still are?) angels :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm not completely into the biblical name thing, especially since I know next to nothing about the bible. I just like the sounds of some of the names. I also like a lot of non-biblical more 'exotic' names, and names from Greek mythology. I also like the sounds of both Cain and Abel. :rolleyes:

Back