• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

backhanded compliments

jenn

i went to a party this weekend and we started snapping pics. when we were looking at them there was, what i thought, quite a cute one of me and a girlfriend. my friend "bob" says, oh jenn you're so much better looking in real life.
i had to laugh, but was like, oh thanks :confused:

anyway, anyone else the giver or receiver of a good backhanded compliment?

I'm not sure if this fits under "backhanded compliment", but one time my mother said to one of her friends (in a large gathering of people), "My son is a poor writer," which she was trying to convey as, "My son is a starving artist/writer" sort of thing. I knew what she meant, but everyone else became silent, but then got a good laugh when she tried covering her stupid outburst by adding, "...well, he's great at writing that garbage stuff no one wants to read..." which she was trying to convey to her religious friends in the group as, "...well, he's great at writing horror". Thanks again, mom. May you live as long as a gnat, and be twice as prosperous.

My roommate was given this line by a female friend. "Have you been working out? You've got a gut there." Starts out like a compliment, ends like slap in the face.

yeah, sorry rk, that's pretty lame......although i once got the courage up enough in grade 8 to finally call a boy i liked..and so we're chatting and i'm thinking, ok, this guy is so into me.... but before we hang up, he says, you know laurie ( oh come on we all know my name is laurie...je-sus ) he says, laurie, you're just like one of the boys....ooohhh...like someone kicked me in the stomach.....

I work with a lady who is the backhanded compliment queen. :D I often times have an organized-chaos arragement on my desk and she often points that out to others. I then make it a point to inquire as to how her oft-unemployed and directionless daughter is doing. I also ask if she and her husband(who is always on the road and hates to be home with her) are going out for the weekend or something. Find another's weakness and exploit it for all it's worth. :) :) :)

ricky said:
yeah, sorry rk, that's pretty lame......although i once got the courage up enough in grade 8 to finally call a boy i liked..and so we're chatting and i'm thinking, ok, this guy is so into me.... but before we hang up, he says, you know laurie ( oh come on we all know my name is laurie...je-sus ) he says, laurie, you're just like one of the boys....ooohhh...like someone kicked me in the stomach.....

I once had a friend tell me I'm "like a dude with tits". I know he wasn't trying to call me manly, but being seventeen it certainly didn't feel that way.

seriously...oh well, i'm hot now and he had his chance...LOL....i'm kidding of course.....but sometimes it's be nice to walk up to that person and say...check me out now!

After my first experience training a girl at work for two weeks she said to me "I learned a lot from you thanks, I'm really glad you turned out to be so experienced because at first I thought you were a complete bumbling idiot" after that my I came into work and someone had nicely provided a sign on my door labeling me as the absent minded professor. :eek:

Hey to my credit it was my first time training and there was a lot to go over. I wasn't quite sure were to start :)

oh i know..i am the worst person to have train you..it's not that i don't know, it's just i assume people know what to do already..ah well........i am sure you did a great job.... :D ;)

We both managed to keep our jobs there so it must not of been to bad but I had my doubts for awhile. I think I said "Oh, I forgot to tell you" like 1000 times that week and kept skipping all over the place on the poor girl.

i tend to overload the info and continuously ask, am i going over too much? yikes..i hate being the trainer..i never was that good at any job anyway..?!

Back