• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad influence of Harry Potter

Idun said:
Fantasy books don't have monopoly on developing childrens' imagination.

But they do enhance it. You come up with wild stuff on your on as a kid but if you read fantasy books, than they incourage it, which i still enjoy!

h_carnahan said:
But they do enhance it. You come up with wild stuff on your on as a kid but if you read fantasy books, than they incourage it, which i still enjoy!

I think all books influence a child's imagination and help it grow. Idun is right about reading a book about a farm and then going outside and pretending your milking a cow. It might not be as far-fetched as riding a dragon or casting spells, but its still enhancing the child's imagination. Being able to imagine various scenarios shouldn't be limited to just fantasy worlds/creatures, nor should it be limited to just earthly beings/situations, all can be effective stimulants for the imagination. I was influenced by Star Trek, and went around with my mom's ear-ring boxes and pretended they were communicators, while I went on "away missions" in the backyard. Then I turned around and imagined myself living in the mountains with Heidi, and after that I joined the ranks of the dragonriders of Pern just to go off to solve mysteries with Sherlock Holmes. Stories of all types are good food for the imagination, especially for children, but for adults, as well.

Bad Influence?

This whole idea where the Harry Potter books promote a keeness toward the occult by children is ridiculous. I think, beneath the surface of the books, there are definite morals and lessons about life. I also feel a bit annoyed that schools will not buy the books solely for the fact that they have magickal content. With or without the Harry Potter books, children may grow to follow some kind of magickal path...there are plenty of books out there that are specifically about magick and that are of the non-fiction variety.

Brightest Blessings

whisperer said:
I also feel a bit annoyed that schools will not buy the books solely for the fact that they have magickal content.
You think that schools don't buy Harry only because of this one reason? It sounds highly improbable to me, as most of books for children have magical elements inside, like "Secret Garden", and I've never heard anyone claiming that "Secret Garden" is unsuitable for children.

In "The secret garden" there are no occult or supernatural powers or happenings. It's just magical atmosphere which makes it unique. A totally new world was created by the author. Contrary to Harry Potter, whose author has a very poor imagination. Were it to be under close scrutiny, it would become obvius that the world in these books is like ours, with the same rules and values. Magic is just an addiction.
And as far as school libraries are concerned, I think that educational book should be bought above all. Unless they have a great amount of money to spend.

Idun said:
You think that schools don't buy Harry only because of this one reason? It sounds highly improbable to me, as most of books for children have magical elements inside, like "Secret Garden", and I've never heard anyone claiming that "Secret Garden" is unsuitable for children.

Unfortunately, yes. School boards, like most committees, can be very stupid things.

Then I'm happy that in Poland school boards just give money for books and have nothing more to say. The rest depends on a librarian.

One more question: if they motivate not buying Harry by the fact that the book includes magical elements, what about "Secret Garden", "Cinderella", "Lion, Witch and a Wardrobe"? Are these also not allowed?

Idun said:
One more question: if they motivate not buying Harry by the fact that the book includes magical elements, what about "Secret Garden", "Cinderella", "Lion, Witch and a Wardrobe"? Are these also not allowed?

Those are allowed, basically because they are older, thus considered "classics" and also, don't get much press. Plus, they're much more subtle magical elements.

Talked to a teacher who had a parent take issue with "A Wrinkle in Time."

Ashlea said:
Talked to a teacher who had a parent take issue with "A Wrinkle in Time."
Though I don't know this book, I suppose it's a very popular children book in States, isn't it?

Idun, here's link to the HP forum on WP with answer to your question, I mean the posts of Antygona.
http://ksiazki.wp.pl/katalog/ksiazki/komentarze.html?kw=72934
I like these books, but regard them as low, light literature. On visiting the forum metioned, I believe in bad influnce of HP. When somebody makes any negative remark about the series, they are immediately offended with agressive insults by HP fan, even if they only claim they didn't like any minor aspect or say that one book is weaker than others. Reading such comments is really the proof that HP can have a bad effect on children.

Tolkien doesn't have a bad effect? Surely you've noticed that Gandalf is like Lenin - eternally alive. :)

I think another mistake teachers are making is equating the occult with satan-worship.

From dictionary.com:

oc·cult
adj.

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena.
2. Beyond the realm of human comprehension; inscrutable.
3. Available only to the initiate; secret: occult lore. See Synonyms at mysterious.
4. Hidden from view; concealed.
5. a. Medicine. Detectable only by microscopic examination or chemical analysis, as a minute blood sample.
b. Not accompanied by readily detectable signs or symptoms: occult carcinoma.

Nowhere do I see "Or, or relating to, the worship of Satan."

Of course, dictionary definitions are not always accurate, especially since dictionary.com defines satanism as "the worship of devils (especially Satan)"

Do some research on "modern" satanism. I put "modern" into quotes because it's arguable whether satanism existed before Anton LaVey and the creation of the Church of Satan in 1966. Satanism is a very solipsistic religion, and its followers do not worship any gods but themselves. Satan is the name given to the dark forces at work within everyone.

Accusations against children's entertainment, such as the ones aimed at Teletubbies, Pokemon, and now Harry Potter, are the last gasps of the Satanic Panic that started inthe 1980s. Satanic Panic fueled a modern-day witch hunt against many innocent individuals, some of whom are still serving time in prison today (see West Memphis Three), fueled by so-called regression therapies. Everyone was freaking out that there was an underground Satanic network indulging in ritual abuse against children, and people were coming forward saying they'd uncovered childhood memories that such abuse had taken place.

It's nonsense, and dangerous nonsense for everyone involved. I'm not saying ritual abuse has never happened, or that regression therapies don't work, but that if you do your own research on the subject, looking at both sides of the argument, you'll see there is a lot of debate, and too many cases where people's family lives have been ruined over false memories being "recovered".

Personally I wouldn't want my kids watching Teletubbies and Pokemon, or reading Harry Potter, because I don't think such things are intellectually challenging at a time when children need to be stimulated in that way. However, I certainly wouldn't stop my kids from reading the books if they wanted to, but I doubt I'll keep a television in the house if I do someday have children.

Beatrycze said:
:D

I think there's a slight difference between LotR and HP. The first is high quality literature.

I would beg to differ.....not that I've read Harry Potter....and Tolkeins' writing may have had genius ideas, but the writing quality could hardly have been much poorer.

Thea said:
I think another mistake teachers are making is equating the occult with satan-worship.

Good call, and there is certainly becoming alot of available material on the subject now a days actually.

Have anyone heard that the guy from the first Harry Potter book - Nicholas Flamel - is a historical person, a real alchemist?

Back