• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barbara Ehrenreich: Nickel and Dimed

What I really enjoy about it is that she went and actually tired to live on the minimum wage in the service sector. The issue of wages and other labor issues often is fought with statistics from competing think tanks and other vested interests. It's quite another when it is YOU on the front lines.

Just finished this, and I wasn't as impressed. The idea is good, definitely, but a little too often it comes across as... what's the Sex Pistols quote, a cheap holiday in other people's misery. I would have liked it to either focus more on the people who actually have to survive on wages that are too low to survive on, or on the socioeconomic factors that create this kind of environment and what it does on a larger scale. As it is, far too much of it is just Ehrenreich recounting her own (in)experiences and being surprised at how many things that she's taken for granted disappear when she doesn't have the money to pay for it anymore. Which, duh. I don't want to say it's amateurish, but there was so much more that could have been done with this idea. She raises some very good points, but on a whole I was disappointed with the book. A strong :star2:.

What I really enjoy about it is that she went and actually tired to live on the minimum wage in the service sector. The issue of wages and other labor issues often is fought with statistics from competing think tanks and other vested interests. It's quite another when it is YOU on the front lines.

Totally agree with this opinion :flowers:

Back