• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barbara Walters

Sitaram

kickbox
An Apocryphal Tale re: Barbara Walters

Barbara Walters did a story on gender roles in Kabul
several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted
that women customarily walked about 10 paces behind
their husbands. She returned to Kabul recently and
observed that the men now walked several paces behind
their wives.

Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and
said, "This is marvelous. Can you tell the free world
just what enabled women to achieve this reversal of
roles?"

"
Land mines
," said the woman.

I can't stand her, she isn't a real journalist, she's a cream-puff questioner and someone who got the job by not asking the hard questions or concentrating on more prurient matters. With that being said, you posted a funny story, it was fun to read the spoiler. :D

Are you kidding? Bawbwa is one of the finest people on earth, which is why she always gets a choice table at Restaurant Daniel.

Such jokes suit my deeply sarcastic nature quite well - but I don't really find them funny in the conventional meaning of the word.

Peder said:
I regret to say, I don't find such jokes funny at all.
I'm confused as to which part you didn't find funny.....my guess is you were refering to novella's post?????

Motokid said:
I'm confused as to which part you didn't find funny.....my guess is you were refering to novella's post?????

No, I'm sure Peder is referring to the ladies getting blown up by land mines for laughs. I agree with him, but also I wonder why Barbara Walters was chosen as the vehicle for this apocryphal story.

It was in my e-mail this morning, from a woman I know in Kuala Lumpur. Just passing it along.

Feel free to delete the thread, if it bothers people, and I shall know not to post jokes.

I have a good joke about Ratzinger, but I did not post for fear that it might be construed as religious.

Of course, I never said it was a joke. Nor did I imply that it was funny. Perhaps I was hoping to discuss how appaling it is.

Someone once pointed out that the moral majority is neither moral nor a majority.

What is of significance to me, is that it was sent to me by a woman who is not Islamic but who lives under an Islamic theocracy. Perhaps being a woman and living in such a culture makes things amusing for her that we find difficult to relate to.

But then, Hogan's Heros managed to make a situation comedy out of a prisoner of war camp. And Nabokov managed to make a name for himself with Lolita which is obviously an appalling subject matter.

Perhaps the fault, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Motokid, I was especially concerned about offending your delicate sensibilities, and hesitated for endless nanoseconds before clicking on the post button.

Can you ever forgive me?

Since I know Barbara Walters slightly, I opened this thread in fear that it was a notice of her passing.

I hope that a moderator will change the title to A Joke, or move it to the joke thread.

Sitaram said:
Motokid, I was especially concerned about offending your delicate sensibilities

Can you ever forgive me?

You must have me confused with some other motokid....

and the answer is ....no......

How can you be so certain it is "a joke?" I have no certainty in that regard. When I first opened it, I puzzled over what it might mean. Yes, in all honesty, I finally came to the conclusion that it is a joke. I admit that. But jokes, like novels, are also fair game for analysis.

Obviously a woman living in Malaysia who has corresponded with me for some years now found a reason to pass it on to me.

If it is a joke, perhaps there is some philosophical merit in discussing why certain people find such things amusing, while others are appalled.

I still remember when she asked Katharine Hepburn what kind of tree she'd want to be.

I also remember her cringingly embarrassing plea to Jimmy Carter after he was elected President.

She's one of those interviewers you either love or hate.

Sitaram said:
How can you be so certain it is "a joke?" I have no certainty in that regard. When I first opened it, I puzzled over what it might mean. Yes, in all honesty, I finally came to the conclusion that it is a joke. I admit that. But jokes, like novels, are also fair game for analysis.

Obviously a woman living in Malaysia who has corresponded with me for some years now found a reason to pass it on to me.

If it is a joke, perhaps there is some philosophical merit in discussing why certain people find such things amusing, while others are appalled.

It's not clear whether the interview actually happened, or if someone made it up. If it's made up, it's a joke. If it's true, it's not that funny. If it's a joke, you should change the title of the post to include "a joke" or it should be moved to the Jokes thread. Using a title with a celebrity's name implies something of importance about that person.

However, if the sexes were reversed and the men were walking well ahead of the women, it might be funny to women.

Jokes, like books, are a matter of taste.

Hmm... let's see. Incest and patricide are appalling. Yet it a drama such as Oedipus is a classic, required reading for all students. However, a joke about patricide and incest would probably be considered something to be avoided at all costs.

Don't you find something curious in this? Something worth discussing?

Stewart said:
Er, who is Barbara Walters and why is she so unimportant?

She interviews people like Monica Lewinsky on television.

Sitaram, I really don't think anyone here is 'appalled.' It's just not that funny. I thought the wife would say "I couldn't take his farting anymore."

Back