• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barbara Walters

Sitaram, I was a hundred percent certain that your post was geared towards sonething else, that is why in my post i put 'sitaram got horney' rather than 'sitaram got horny'. My bad, I forgot the inverted commas.

I'm not aware of Karen Horney's theories, so am not going to comment - not until i've at least done some googling :p

Sitaram, my good man, Confusion is my middle name, i bear it proudly :D

What is it with this thread and attempts at humor?? Come on people, we can right the ship, let's give it one more chance-whose next?

f71e.jpg

This reminds me of a picture book my son made when he was about 6 or 7. He's a big fan of Robert G. Ballard, underwater archeologist and finder of the Titanic and the Bismarck.

The book was called Bismarck Stages, and each page showed the ship sinking a little further down. A classic. :)

novella said:
... Robert G. Ballard, underwater archeologist and finder of the Titanic and the Bismarck...
I read that initially as 'underwear archeologist'. Which may mean I need help of some kind, perhaps with my reading...

Kenny Shovel said:
I read that initially as 'underwear archeologist'. Which may mean I need help of some kind, perhaps with my reading...
Nothing to do with reading; try bromide

It's not just a sedative. Urban legend has it that it was used in barracks (mixed in food or drinks) before soldiers went on leave to prevent soldiers from getting too excited as soon as they saw a female.

Kenny,

underwear archeologist? I think that's the province of Roland Barthes, Camille Paglia, and Susan Sontag? Vous etes tres intellectuale, tres sexy, comme les Francais. Nous regardons le brassiere. C'est une mervielle de construction symbolique.

(Don't grade me on my Franglish, please. :eek: )

clueless said:
It's not just a sedative. Urban legend has it that it was used in barracks (mixed in food or drinks) before soldiers went on leave to prevent soldiers from getting too excited as soon as they saw a female.

isn't that saltpeter?

No, as Kenny said is mainly used as an antidepressant, but one of the side effects is impotency. The legend part is its use in the barracks.

my mom says it was used during WWII to reduce soldiers' sex drive.

edited to say that those of you in the UK probably know it by another name. Here's what I found:

saltpeter

Back