• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barnes and Noble's Nook

I have researched both and the Nook is far more advanced than any other eReader out there. I sampled one and it looks like the real thing. I will review it when it ships.

That didn't take long...

...the Nook has been opened.

Nook Torn Open, Hacked, Rooted

Barely weeks after its launch, Barnes & Noble’s Android-based Nook e-reader has been hacked and ‘rooted’ (root, or full system access, has been obtained). A loose team of hackers reported the work on their wiki, Nook Devs.

If you tear open a Nook (which the team has done) you’ll find that the Android operating system is contained on a microSD card (separate from the microSD expansion slot). From here, it’s a simple matter of using a card reader to mount this card on your computer and changing a single word in the init.rc file (the file that’s in charge of which services are begun at startup, similar to a Linux boot).

This single hack will let you plug the Nook into your computer (once you have reassembled it) and access the OS, using the freely available Google Android developers kit. Right now you’ll have to be a hardcore nerd to make much use of this, but as we saw with the iPhone, these things progress to user-friendly applications fairly fast, especially when the hard work has already been done.

Before you tut, toss your head and mutter ’so what?’ like some petulant teenager, think about the uses. The Nook is now a computer running a full Android operating system, with a built-in, free cellular connection to the internet. It also has a battery that lasts days, not hours. Now are you getting excited? This could turn into the Roomba of e-readers, only it won’t suck.

You can follow developments here.

I think this puts me squarely in the I want a Nook camp.

The book readers for me still haven't got low enough in price to justify owning one. By the time you buy the reader and then the books you could have built a library of several hundred books.

Yeah but that fact is the same for anything you buy.

I will soon purchased this protective cover for my Nook...arriving at my home early Feb:

3027.jpg

I get my Nook early next month (Feb). I will (mostly) read non-fiction material on my Nook since I have so many fiction on my shelves right now.

I have not tried Kindle yet. It looks awesome.

I do like to have a book wrapped between my hands though.

Does Kindle offer all the books I would want to read? Like business books, or those hard to find historical/fiction books?

This looks great, but it scares me a little. I understand the appeal, and I think they should certainly be used in academic settings, but I just hope we don't see the production of physical books drop too dramatically. Because to me nothing will ever quite match reading a real book.

I have not tried Kindle yet. It looks awesome.

I do like to have a book wrapped between my hands though.

Does Kindle offer all the books I would want to read? Like business books, or those hard to find historical/fiction books?

Not EVERY book is in an electronic/epub/pdf format. You'll have to look around and see.

Nook, for me, is better because you have more options (not limited to amazon ebooks). Just go to whatever site has ebooks in epub format.

I'll post it again:
Nook vs. Kindle
Nook Help and FAQs, eBook Reader, eBook Device - Barnes & Noble

I prefer the Sony readers. I don't like how Amazon Kindle looks with the keyboard and non-touch screen. I did consider a Nook but when I came back to work from a 2 weeks vacation during Christmas & New Year on Jan 4th, a co-worker came over with her new Nook to show me since she knows I have been looking at ebook readers. I loved how the Nook looked but I paid more attention when she told me she waited 57 minutes on the phone for B&N customer service on things she call small glitches.:eek: I think I offended her when I said that no way would I hold more then 15 minutes for customer service and if that was me that Nook would be returned to B&N very quickly!:p The Nook has to many glitches to avoid B&N horrible customer service so I crossed it out too.

I then started researching and decided on the Sony PRS-900 (this is their 7-in reader). I've had it for 2 weeks now. I LOVE this thing. I don't know what took me so long; I think I was a book snob. This e-ink thing is just like reading a real book, except you can carry a bunch of books with you; the font adjustment alone makes it worth it. There's file organization on the Sony call Collections. I was able to organize some of my series by author name plus the name of the series and then put them in chronological order. The bonus part is now I'm able to indulge my questionable taste in reading materials without being judge; Yes, I read a lot of fluff, I need light entertainment with 7 year old triplets, so don't judge me!:p I also ran into a new forum made of Sony reader owners. They just got started and answered a bunch of my questions so that helped. Oh the forum is called sonyreader.proboards.com

I wanted to post a picture I took of my reader but this forum would not let me, it kept calling it an url.:confused: Anyway take a look at the Sony readers!

Back