• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Baseball - Discussion (any team/any year)

The Pirates were a perennial last place team, but I still loved them, until 1960 when they won the Pennant and beat the Yankees in the World Series.

C - Smokey Burgess
1B - Dick Stuart
2B - Bill mazerowski
3B - Don Hoak
SS - Dick Groat
OF - Roberto Clemente( you had to see him to believe his talent)
OF - Bob Skinner
OF - Bill Virdon

P- Vernon Law
P- Bob Friend
P- Harvey Haddix
P- Vinegar Bend Mizell

Closer - Roy Friend

Manager - Danny Murtaugh

I've been a Tigers fan for a long time. How often I visit this thread will probably be relative to how well they do.

Robert said:
I've been a Tigers fan for a long time. How often I visit this thread will probably be relative to how well they do.

Ouch. They haven't had a winning record in twelve years, does that mean we'll never see you? We could talk about other teams. Although, I see they're starting their season out pretty well so far this year. It's early, but a good start is still a good start!

muggle said:
mehastings, I would guess that the player receiving the most votes was Ty Cobb.
Yup. It was.

another related question. What player, from my favorite team, actually tied Ruth for most votes in the Hall of Fame Election.

Robert said:

Well, it was nice seeing you!.:) :)

:D

'84 was their last great year...when manager Alan Trammell was a player. Heck of a good one. It was unfortunate that he spent so many years with guys who should've been playing AAA.

Robert, now is the time for you to post a lot. Before the season is too far gone. :D

How would you like to be in my shoes and a Pirate fan. Their chances are absolutely nil with the way baseball is today.:(

Thisbook is a must have if you like good baseball stories. You know, bench-clearing brawls, troubled players, as well as weird on-field incidences that you possibly haven't heard of before.

0393311384.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Keep your eye on rookie Ryan Zimmerman with the Washington Nationals. He played College ball here at UVA and he is the real thing. I think he has a shot of being a real star.

I thought I'd bump this thread up for the All Star Break (even though it is half over). I'm sad that I slept through the Home Run Derby this year. It is honestly my favorite part. If I had been smart I would have DVRed it, but I forgot.

muggle said:
...with the way baseball is today.:(

I'm going to assume I know what you meant here and ask if you've got any comments on the starting rosters for the two All Star teams?
NL has four of eight players coming from the Mets. AL has five of eight coming from the Red Sox or Yankees. Is something wrong here?

BTW, where on earth is Robert? His team has the best record in baseball right now. He should be gloating!

I don't know what happened to robert. If my Pirates were leading the league like his Tigers you would see me posting every day, twice a day. :)

BTW, I haven't seen mehastings doing much posting on the baseball topic either. Maybe she thinks the Red sox are just a temporary flash. :D

I don't really have any problem with the All-Star voting. My 2 Pirates, that were deserving, were both voted to the team (Bay & Sanchez). Perhaps Mark Loretta was fortunate to be voted as a starter. I would have voted for Jose Lopez.

National leading 2 to 1 in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs on the American league. All they need is one more out and the game is theirs. American proceeds with 3 straight hits including the triple and takes a 3 to 2 lead over the national. National cannot score in the bottom of the inning and the American's win, once again.

And that is why baseball is such a great game. There is no time limit and "It Ain't Over Till' It's Over".

muggle-the all-star game was fun to watch. We had it on t.v. by accident and I'm glad I didn't miss a thing!. I always preferred the American League personally. Even with it's lone Royal all-star this year.:rolleyes:

I had to work last night and my partner and I are two of the bigger baseball fans there. We got stuck way out in the woods on a standby in a town that had been hit by a tornado (not exactly a regular event in MA). There was no electricity and there wasn't a radio station in range with the game on. By the time we got back, the game was over. I feel like I've been gyped this year. :( I am, however, glad the AL won, just in case.

As far as the Red Sox go, I honestly forgot about this thread until the other night when I was looking at the World Cup one. I'd say this is about the standard year for the Sox. They're in first place at the break, but come September they'll be hanging onto the Wild Card by a thread. I do like this year's roster though. I don't have time to get into it right now, but I will later.

SFG75 said:
My Royals are only 27.5 games behind Detroit.:eek: Nothing big.:eek:
Don't complain.:p My Pirates have the worst record in baseball. :)

BTW mehastings. It surely looks like only the team, between the Red Sox and Yankees, that wins the Divison will make it to the playoffs this year. That is unless the bottom falls out between the Tigers and White Sox.

It's embarrassing though muggle. Their best hitter is batting .298 and the pitcher with the lowest ERA owns a 5.32 average.:( In his defense, he'll give up two or three runs and won't get any offensive support from the batters.

How is your favorite team doing. I hear through the grapevine that mehastings is now a Yankee fan. ;) :)

Back